D.Gray-man (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 4-5-6 by…

D.Gray-man (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 4-5-6

by Katsura Hoshino

172587,099 (4)None

Just like the omnibus that came before it, D.Gray-Man omnibus 2 (containing books 4, 5 and 6) is one hell of a book.

The storylines just flowed so easily. It really only took me an hour to read this, and then I was clutching at it for about another half an hour. The introduction of Lavi and Bookman was amazing. And as a big fan of Arystar Krory, I was immensely happy to see him here (yes I did watch the anime first, sue me).

I'm a little pissed that Lenalee, with her Dark Boots, doesn't seem to get as much action as the guys. However, I really wish to see what's up with her, because it looks like the anime just left this added detail about her in the dust.

Oh, but book 6 was absolutely heartbreaking. Suman's story just yanks your heartstrings right out of your chest. I won't spoil it for you, but you'll cry.

One thing I love is the differences between scenes from the manga are to the anime. I feel that there's more depth to them in the manga, and more of a purpose. It's very interesting to read, because it feels fresh even though part of me knows what's going to happen.

I did have a problem with some of the action scenes. I did have to scan the page kind of hard to understand what I was seeing, but I got there eventually and it didn't detract from the story at all.

If you haven't checked out this series, I highly recommend you doing so! ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
Vol. 4: Lavi and Allen's main mission here is to protect a village from a vampire, but something isn't what it seems. Some cool new characters are introduced but we're left not knowing quite where everyone stands and a major fight is about to erupt. keeps the plot and action rolling but a bit messy plotwise. (3/5)

Vol. 5: Again I'm finding the plot a bit all over the place but I'm certainly enjoying the characters in this manga. The vampire episode is finished off on the first half of this volume and has a very interesting conclusion! The second half brings back the Earl and a new charismatic bad guy then we get into some plotting that jumps around and I found hard to follow but there is some great art here and some cool disturbing images. I'm enjoying the read but it isn't a page-turner for me. I'm really glad to be reading this as a 3-in-1 as I don't know if single volumes would have held my interest as much. (3/5)

Vol. 6: I think the art in this series is amazing. Not the people, but the backgrounds, creatures and the artists use of shading is beautiful. This volume flies into action and keeps up non-stop throughout the whole book. The story revolves around a character (we don't know) but is an old friend of the others who has betrayed the Innocence and is being destroyed. Our main characters are out to save him. Then the book ends on a cliffhanger note as Allen meets up with the bad guy from the last volume, Tyki Mikk. (3/5)

I'm going to admit that I find this story somewhat hard to follow the overall plot. My 13yo loves it, though! When I asked him if he liked D.Gray-Man he said "Yes! It is so intense!" So I got him to explain to me what was the main idea going on here after I'd finished this book. LOL. Still not a page-turner for me, but this last cliffhanger has me interested and a bit freaked to get on with the next volume. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jan 2, 2014 |

"D. Gray-man is the story of Allen Walker, who roams a fictional 19th century Earth in search of Innocence, a mysterious substance used to fight demons called akuma. Allen questions whether he is willing fight the Clan of Noah, followers of the Millennium Earl. After all, he signed up to kill akuma, not humans! With his left eye injured, he can no longer tell akuma from humans, making him a target for attack. Despite this weakness, he is sent by the Black Ministry to find and protect his master, General Cross."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,697,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible