I Don't Know What You Know Me From:…

I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-Star

by Judy Greer

You may know Judy Greer from her numerous roles as a co-star in movies such as 13 Going on 30 and The Wedding Planner, and her collection of essays is perfect for readers looking for a light read this summer. Greer has a tendency to ramble as she recounts her life and her career as an actress. Sometimes she is quite funny, especially the essay describing a red carpet dress disaster, but other essays seem almost forced and less engaging. Pair with a screening of your favorite Greer film for maximum enjoyment.

Kathleen K. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I listened to the audio book which is read by the author, which I think helped me enjoy it more. It was interesting, but the last 20% of the book felt like she was just throwing things in to make it longer. ( )
  sarahy531 | Aug 16, 2017 |
I’ve been in the middle of a few books for the past month – the fifth book in A Song of Ice and Fire (it is over 1,000 pages and I’m only 100 pages in), The Great Influenza (only halfway through), and a new YA steampunk book. But I just couldn’t get into any of them. So I decided to find a quick, fun read to kick-start my summer reading and this one did the trick.

Now, I actually do know what I know Judy Greer from. She’s the voice of one of the best characters on Archer (Cheryl / Cherlene), she was the frenemy in 13 Going on 30, and of course Mr. Bluth’s assistance in Arrested Development. Oooh! And she was in 27 Dresses. Actually she’s been in over 40 movies, so you’ve probably seen her in something. But I can definitely see how she might be the most obvious actress version of the “Hey, It’s THAT Guy!” feature.

The book itself is fine. It’s a very quick read, it’s mostly entertaining, and it offers a little insight into this actress, although not much insight into being an actress in general. I think the title gives the impression that the book will be more of an entertainment behind-the-scenes, when in reality it is more of a thin memoir of a woman who happens to be an actress. The stories are mostly interesting, but I do think that the book feels a little … well a little like something a brand new writer would write. Most of the chapters read like they started with an anecdote she wanted to tell, but wasn’t quite able to fill in enough details to really build it out. But it was fun, I enjoyed it, and I don’t feel like it was a wasted couple of hours. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about this book but I, personally, really enjoyed it. Perhaps it is because I'm a big Judy Greer fan or maybe the audio version made it so great. If you're looking for dirt on the Hollywood scene or drama, this isn't the book for you - Judy is sweet and sincere from beginning to end. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
1. I love Judy Greer.
2. She is really, really bad at commas (meaning she uses way too many where she should have used something else).
3. It's weird how she refers to her husband by his first and last name almost every time, even long after we've been introduced to him.
4. It's weird (at least I think it is) how stressed out she is by having to feed her stepchildren. I get that she's adjusting to suddenly being a parent, but they're nine and thirteen years old. They're definitely old enough to make their own turkey sandwiches.
5. This book was fine, not amazing - but I would still love to be friends with her.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |

Like Tina Fey, Chelsea Handler, and other (bestselling) co-stars, Judy Greer is taking pen to paper and in her honest, self-deprecating, and hilariously relatable way reminding us why she's not America's sweetheart but America's best friend.

You know Judy Greer, right? Wait, what was she in again? The Wedding Planner, 13 Going on 30, 27 Dresses, The Descendants. Yes, you totally recognize her. And, odds are, if you're like most women in America, you feel like she's already your friend. Thankfully, Greer has finally written a book of essays about all the moments, topics, observations, and confessions that you would hope to hear from your best friend. How a midnight shopping trip to CVS can cure all? The time she thought her blind date had AIDS? What it's like to have stepchildren? And how she really feels about her mother? Yes, it's all in there. But Judy Greer isn't just a regular friend-she's a celebrity friend. Want to know which celebs she's peed next to? Or what the Oscars were actually like? Or which hot actor gave her father a Harley Davidson? Don't worry—that's included, too. Besides being laugh-out-loud funny, you'll love her because she makes us genuinely feel like she's one of us. Because even though she sometimes has a stylist and a make-up artist, she still wears (and hates!) Spanx. Because she starts her book like this: "This is who I am. This is what I think about things. This is stuff that happened to me, that could have just as easily have happened to you. I'm not that special, and we're probably not that different. I think I am really lucky to be where I am in life, but I've never really lost that feeling that I don't fit in, and if you have, will you please email me and tell me how you did it? I'm serious."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:02 -0400)

The prolific actress best known for her appearances in such productions as the Oscar-winning The Descendants presents a collection of comedic essays on topics ranging from stepmotherhood to midnight shopping trips at the pharmacy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,598,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible