Under Magnolia: A Southern Memoir by Frances…

Under Magnolia: A Southern Memoir

by Frances Mayes

The author of Under the Tuscan Sun describes her childhood in the South and her journey back. A lyrical, candid homage to the past, the complications of family, and the places that define us.

A memoir of author Frances Mayes’ coming of age in the Deep South, and of the region’s powerful influence on her life.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Feb 22, 2017 |
Really enjoyed this memoir by Frances Mayes, author of Under the Tuscan Sun. ( )
  Darwa | Mar 18, 2016 |
Frances Mayes writes beautiful prose that is almost poetry. I read "Under the Tuscan Sun" years ago and now I want to reread it and all the books in between. In "Under Magnolia" she takes me to a different place and time that I only know from stories. ( )
  eliorajoy | Sep 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was slower going than I was expecting, but it's been a long time since I've read any of her books, so maybe it was a change in me rather than the writing. I still love the tone and the depth of description. It's a nice, soft read.
  MizPurplest | Sep 9, 2015 |
Thank you LibraryThing.com for this advance readers copy. I enjoyed the writing as well as the memoir. ( )
  lvmygrdn | Jul 11, 2015 |
Memory believes before knowing remembers. Believes longer than recollects, longer than knowing even wonders.
William Faulkner, Light in August
for my daughter, Ashley
At a few times in my life, I've not been aware that I've just stepped onto a large X.

A lyrical and riveting memoir of Frances Mayes’s coming of age in the Deep South, and of the region’s powerful influence on her life

“At a few times in my life, I’ve not been aware that I’ve just stepped onto a large X,” begins Under Magnolia. The author of three beloved books about her life in Tuscany, Frances Mayes recreates in her new memoir these large, mysterious X’s, moments of change, among the people and places that defined her early years in Fitzgerald, Georgia. With her signature style and grace, Mayes delves deeply into the power of landscape, the idea of home, and the force of a chaotic and loving family.

From her years as a spirited, secretive child, through her university studies—a period of exquisite freedom that imbued her with a profound appreciation of friendship and a love of travel—to her escape to a new life in California, Mayes recreates her world of intense relationships and her passionate connection with the land she sprang from.

Using the precise sense memories that define her previous memoirs, Mayes writes an unforgettable story of a girl whose perspicacity and dawning self-knowledge lead her out of the South, and into the rest of the world. Under Magnolia, too, chronicles a present-tense, surprising rediscovery of the changed yet still achingly familiar and beloved South. This is a searingly honest, humorous, and moving ode to family and place, and a thoughtful meditation on the ways they define us, or cause us to define ourselves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:00 -0400)

"A memoir of author Frances Mayes's coming of age in the Deep South, and of the region's powerful influence on her life. Mayes delves into the power of landscape, the idea of home, and the force of a chaotic and loving family"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Frances Mayes's book Under Magnolia was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible