The Mistletoe Bride and Other Haunting Tales…

The Mistletoe Bride and Other Haunting Tales (2013)

by Kate Mosse

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All (5)
An enjoyable collection of ghost stories, based on legends. The illustrations by Rohan Daniel Eason are lovely and for that reason alone, I may be tempted to keep this book in my library. The stories are very atmospheric, portraying spooky ancient woods, and misty, marshy places. I also liked the author's note to each story, explaining the inspiration behind them. ( )
  Momonaco | Nov 23, 2016 |
This is a collection of sixteen original and previously published short stories and one play, all with a more or less haunting theme at heart, many based on local legends and folk tales. With one exception they’re set in Sussex, Brittany and the southwest of France, ranging from an unspecified past to the twentieth century (the majority) and the present day. These are on the whole atmospheric offerings, with some of them more successful than others, but almost all of them fairly predictable, with few genuine surprises. The evocative illustrations by Rohan Eason are worth a separate mention. ( )
  passion4reading | Aug 1, 2015 |
Fourteen short ghost stories of varying lengths plus a play-script. As in any collection of short stories,some are good and some not so good. One at the better end was 'The Revenant",which was in the style of M.R.James. Few were spooky enough for me I must admit,but Mosse is certainly making a name for herself as a writer of Ghost stories. The play at the end should have been omitted as it adds nothing to this otherwise interesting collection.
Unlike the other reviewer,I am a great lover of the short story and certainly commend this collection. ( )
  devenish | Apr 2, 2014 |
A selection of short stories based on urban legends and ghost stories. The first tale ‘The Mistletoe Bride’ is based on the bride who on her wedding day played hide and seek, hid in a trunk and wasn’t found.

My problem with short stories is that they are what they are, short ! I struggle with short stories that are only a few pages long as I feel that there is just not enough. I feel that I am getting into a tale then it’s finished. The first story of the bride could have been fleshed out and perhaps then made a good chunky short novel.

I enjoyed a few of the tales but much prefer a longer story. ( )
1 vote tina1969 | Dec 15, 2013 |
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do,
or any kindness that I can show to any fellow human being,
let me do it now; let me not defer nor neglect it,
for I shall not pass this way again.

Etienne de Grellet du Mabillier
Voor Greg, Martha en Felix
To Greg and Martha and Felix

Contains the following short stories, with a foreword and a brief author's note following each story:
The Mistletoe Bride, Duet, Red Letter Day, The Drowned Village, The House on the Hill, Why the Yew Tree Lives So Long, Sainte-Thérèse, The Ship of the Dead, La Fille de Mélisande, The Revenant, On Harting Hill, The Princess Alice, In the Theatre at Night, The Yellow Scarf, Syrinx, Governors Island, The Ghost of Christmas Past
A collection of
haunting but predictable
short stories and tales.
(passion4reading)

A wonderfully atmospheric collection of stories from one of our most captivating writers, inspired by ghost stories, traditional folk tales and country legends from England and France. These tales are richly populated by spirits and ghosts seeking revenge; by grief-stricken women and haunted men coming to terms with their destiny - all rooted deep in the elemental landscapes of Sussex, Brittany and the Languedoc. The collection will include The Mistletoe Bride, La Fille de Melisande, Red Letter Day, The Lending Library, The House on the Hill...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,451,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible