Mustard Seed Baby Doll: a novella by F. J.…

Mustard Seed Baby Doll: a novella

by F. J. Schurr

312,001,085 (5)None
Recently added bylexiesmom, dlga, FJSchurr

No tags.

young, very young orphan decides to follow in her mothers footsteps and become an actress. Unfortunately mom mislead the girl and mom was actually selling herself on the street. She told her daughter she es going on auditions. Soon she finds out the truth.
In another part of town a mother grieves at a support group for the parents of missing children. Maudelyn us a regular at these groups., Then her husband disappears as he can't stand living with the guilt she places upon him, blaming him for Jenny's disappearance..
Right after their daughter disappeared gave goes Jim gives Madelyn a very special necklace with a mustard seed in it. It symbolizes the Biblical reference that even faith like a mustard seed can move mountains. (Matthew 17:20-21) With this gift he is hoping to give her hope.
Good books entertainment give you something to do on a snowy afternoon. Great books make you filo. This is a great book. My heart was breaking for the poor deceived child. I was angry with the self absorbed mother and Jim, I just pitied.
I loved the book. There were poignant scenes scattered thorough out the book, the most heartbreaking moment for me was when Baby Doll found out her mother was a prostitute. There were of course happy moments, moments that were full of joy. There were also moments that just plain made me angry.
An interesting read with a good moral lesson. The language and descriptive scenes are so tame I would not hesitate to let an older child read the book. I loved the book and hope to have the pleasure of reading more books by this author. I receive this book for free in exchange for this honest review. ( )
  lexiesmom | Dec 11, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 149280164X, Paperback)

A story about hope, faith, and redemption...

Jim and Maudelyn are a retired couple still reeling from the loss of their daughter who ran away over a decade ago. With both of them lost in the past, their marriage has all but disappeared. Samson is a bodybuilder in pursuit of someone else’s dreams. Underneath a thin veneer of arrogance, he longs for unconditional acceptance and the permission to be himself. Rachael is a homeless orphan who has been cheated out of her childhood. Forced to grow up too fast, she struggles to pattern her life after her dead mother’s example.

In this gritty tale of the harsh realities of life, F.J. Schurr artfully weaves together a tapestry from stray threads of hope and brokenness that hang from the human condition.

Set in the heart of the once thriving city of Buffalo, New York, this is a story of love, loss, and redemption that will both break your heart and overwhelm you with joy.

Description from the back of the book:

Finding herself alone and living in an abandoned subway tunnel after her mother's death, Rachael feels the pull of her ten-year-old starlet heart to become what she always knew she would be; an actress. But growing up is its own learning curve; a regular street corner full of lessons.

Samson may have grown up. As a bodybuilder, he may have even gotten big and strong just like a real man is supposed to, but that doesn't mean that life has given him all answers quite yet, or if it ever will.

For Jim and Maudelyn, retirement and growing old hasn't been a bed of roses. And after their only child ran away, sitting and staring at each other from opposite sides of the same apartment for the last ten years hasn't helped matters. But distance makes the heart grow fonder...

...and even the smallest kernel of faith can sprout into something capable of moving the very mountains themselves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:02 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

F. J. Schurr's book Mustard Seed Baby Doll (a novella) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

F. J. Schurr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,755,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible