My Own Miraculous: A Short Story by Joshilyn…

My Own Miraculous: A Short Story

by Joshilyn Jackson

My Own Miraculous is a short story by Joshilyn Jackson that is a prequel to her latest novel Someone Else's Love Story (which will be reviewed tomorrow).

Shandi Pierce is the narrator of My Own Miraculous. She is the mother of a son, 3 year old Natty (Nathan) and best friends with Walcott. Shandi found herself pregnant at 17 under mysterious conditions. Her pregnancy resulted in her dropping out of high school, but her mother and Walcott are both there to help take care of her and Natty, so she has yet to experience the fierce protective love a mother can have for her child. An encounter with a strange young woman and her mother at the local blood drive results in Shandi's sudden realization of two facts. First, Natty is not like other three year olds; Natty may be a genius. Second, Shandi discovers that she will do what it takes to protect her son when the strange teen's behavior becomes threatening to Natty.

As Jaskson writes at Goodreads: "One of the main characters from the novel narrates, and the action takes place about 2 months before SELS begins. It's about how we become mothers, But not in the obvious, biological way. *grin* It's about the transformative nature of parenthood."

My Own Miraculous is a compelling story, as well as an excellent introduction to the characters in Someone Else's Love Story. I already loved Shandi, Walcott, Natty, and Mimmy which made Someone Else's Love Story that much better. Jackson has the ability to make her characters feel like real people and there is always an element of humor even when the circumstances seem dire.

I can see why Jackson chose to release My Own Miraculous as a separate story rather than the opening to Someone Else's Love Story. Although many of the characters are in both, this short story needed to be separate and stand on its own rather than with the novel.

Very Highly Recommended - and then get Someone Else's Love Story.

Disclosure: My Kindle edition was courtesy of HarperCollins via edelweiss for review purposes. ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
This short ebook is like a prequel for Jackson’s Someone Else’s Love Story, which I read several years ago when it came out so my memory was a little foggy. Jackson’s characters pop off the page, as usual, and the creepy Southern gothic undertones are ever present. A great quick read I was happy to have discovered while waiting for her next novel! ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
My only regret is I did not read this e-book novella until after I completed Someone Else Love Story. I highly recommend reading this first; however, each can be a standalone. This book made me smile for many reasons.

It was so nice to be taken back to Lumpkin County (Dahlonega, GA), as felt myself being transported there with each word on the tablet. Having lived in Buckhead (Atlanta) for years, a dear friend of mine lived in Lumpkin County (about an hour north of Atlanta off Georgia 400) and his house was on Lake Lanier, so visited often.

I loved the quaint old historic town in Dahlonega, GA and frequently visited (The Smith House, Paul Thomas Chocolates, The Corkscrew Café, Wolf Mountain Vineyards & Winery Restaurant, The Crimson Moon Café, The Smith House, Connie's Ice Cream Parlor, Lily Creek Lodge, Hiker Hostel, Mountain Laurel Creek Inn and Spa and what used to be Renee’s Restaurant. There were many memories there and also having a home in Big Canoe, GA and Dahlonega was nearby for wine tastings and plenty of good mountain hiking and waterfalls.

This was a beautifully written short story about becoming a mother and what it means, setting the stage for the poignant “Someone Else’s Love Story”. There is an excerpt from SELS included, as well.

I highly recommend both and am now working my way back through Joshilyn Jackson’s previous older books. She has just made it to my favorite author list and looking forward to diving into all books. She has charm, wit, tenacious and passion, reflected throughout each of her books!

Nice to find another highly talented Georgia author-full of imagination, a fantastic storyteller, and definitely knows the Deep South.

JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
What a charming novella! This is, pure and simple, about maturing into adulthood, parenthood, and love. Simply told, and well done! ( )
  hemlokgang | May 22, 2014 |
This novella is a prequel to Someone Else's Love Story. We meet Shandi, a young mother to four year old Nattie. Nattie is proving to be a very smart little boy, and Shandi at first doesn't want to think about what it could mean until events take place that help her decide it is in Nattie's best interest to do so. Brilliantly narrated by the author. Can't wait to read more of their story. ( )
  Nise | Apr 12, 2014 |

Shandi Pierce got pregnant when she was only seventeen years old. She fell for her son--deeply, instantly, completely--but as she sat at the table feeding him, her own mother was sliding eggs and bacon onto her plate, feeding her. Now, four years later, Shandi is still more parented than parent. She lives with her mom, her dad pays her bills, and her best friend, Walcott, acts as her white knight. But Natty is no ordinary kid, and when his savant behavior catches the attention of an obsessive stranger, only Shandi sees the true menace. To protect her son, Shandi must grow up--fast--and find an answer to the question, how can a girl remake herself into a mother?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,990,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible