Cinderella by Jane Werner

Cinderella (1950)

by Jane Werner

Summary: Cinderella is the story of a young beautiful girl whose father dies and leaves her in the care of her unloving stepmother. Cinderella’s stepmother only cares about her two ugly mean daughters, pour Cinderella is treated as the family maid. Cinderella’s only friends were the mice that infested the house. Meanwhile across town the king and the great grand duke decided the prince needed to marry so they would throw him a ball to help him find his perfect bride. All the girls in the land are invited to the ball, including Cinderella. When the invitation arrived at the house Cinderella’s stepmother agreed to let Cinderella go, as long as, her chores were all finished and she had something decent to wear. Having worked all day to get her chores done in time to attend the ball Cinderella hadn’t had time to think of a dress to wear. Conveniently her mice friends had been busy putting together a dress for Cinderella, but when her stepmother and step sisters saw the dress made of their old stuff they ripped it apart until once again Cinderella was in rags. Cinderella had given up hope when her fairy Godmother showed up and gave her everything she would need to go to the ball, buts she warned Cinderella it would not last past midnight. It was love at first sight for the prince and Cinderella until she had to run away as the clock struck midnight, leaving the prince only a glass slipper to identify her by. The prince tried the glass slipper on every girl in town until finally stopping at Cinderella’s house and after trying it on her sisters the stepmother “accidently” broke the slipper so Cinderella would not get the opportunity to prove she was the girl the Prince was searching for. To her stepmothers dismay Cinderella pulls the other glass slipper from her pocket proving to the Prince she is the girl he has been searching for and leaves the house to live happily ever after with the Prince.

Personal Reaction: Cinderella was one of my favorite stories as a little girl. I remember getting upset when the stepmother and her daughters were mean to Cinderella. I had a stepmother growing up who was never as nice to me as she was to her own children so I related to Cinderella. I recall playing outside waiting and hoping that my fairy Godmother would come make everything better for me. That’s what’s so wonderful about fantasy stories, you can use your imagination to bring the story to life.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Discuss our own family makeup. Difference, similarities, etc.
2. Draw our shoes for an art activity and try to match shoes to the person they belong to.
3. Create character trading cards to better understand each character in the story and the role they play.
  Morganxxbailey | Oct 12, 2013 |
I think this book is very good to read to girls and boys, because they will learn about romance in the near future. Also, this book can be used as an example of stepfamilies, because it happens in real life. This book is good for children because it has a good ending.

Personal Reaction

I have always enjoyed this book beause it shows the good times as well as the bad times. I loved the romance where the prince looks for the woman of his dreams. I enjoyed the fact that everybody at the ball was focused on the love birds.

Classroom Ideas

1. Living area- Dress up clothes

2. Groups make up short story
  sharon65 | Jan 18, 2013 |
-No Award
-pre k-K
-Cinderella has cruel step sisters and a cruel step mother. She is given several chores and is forced to do them.
-I would teach children that step parents are not like this
-I would ask them what kind of dream would they wish for and have them draw it out
  booo2893 | Oct 27, 2011 |

Is an adaptation of

Once upon a time, in a faraway kingdom, there lived a widowed gentleman and his lovely daughter, Ella.
(Little Golden Book edition) Once upon a time in a far-away land lived a sweet and pretty girl named Cinderella.

Though mistreated by her family, Cinderella manages to get to the prince's ball with the help of her fairy godmother and to inspire the prince's undying love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:54 -0400)

This book is an adaptation of the classic fairy tale from Golden Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,131,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible