Mara TP by Brian Wood

Mara TP (edition 2013)

by Brian Wood, Ming Doyle (Illustrator)

Member:terriko
Title:Mara TP
Authors:Brian Wood
Other authors:Ming Doyle (Illustrator)
Info:Image Comics (2013), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 136 pages

Mara TP by Ming Doyle (Artist)

A quick flip through the book told me that it was dystopian sci-fi volleyball, and that was enough reason to take it home from the library. I recognized Brian Wood's name, because I've liked him on some things, but not so much on others.

The story starts by grounding title character Mara into a world of expensively-sponsored high-stakes sports in a world that drafts children for sports and war, but Mara herself seems to care more about her brother and her friend and teammate than she cares about the politics of sponsorship. I guess it's because of this solid grounding that I found the second half of the book was a bit too emotionally adrift. It's a great concept, and I can see the bones of a story in there that I would have loved, but it didn't quite come together for me.

Would I recommend it despite the ending? Yes. But I still mourn for the story it maybe could have been.
  terriko | Feb 17, 2014 |
I got a copy of this graphic novel as an eGalley to review through NetGalley(dot)com. I actually liked this graphic novel quite a bit.

Future Earth is focused on two things: war and sports. From a very young age kids are put in camps to train for one or the other. Mara is placed in a volleyball camp at a very young age. Mara is the world’s best volleyball player, and she’s living the high life...until something happens during a match that makes it look like Mara cheated. As sponsors drop her and Mara’s way of life falls apart, she continues to develop more and more powerful super powers. The more powers she develops the less human she becomes and humanity as a whole begins to fear and hate her.

The illustration throughout this graphic novel is really well done. I love that Mara is illustrated as an athlete and not as a disproportionate female. She’s beautiful and parties some, but mostly she is a tough lean athlete. It was nice to have a female character in a graphic novel that isn’t objectified but really looks like the athlete she is.

I loved the world as well. It is a bit dystopian and definitely science fiction. I was surprised at how well the world was built in this graphic novel, there’s not a lot of space here for world-building.

Mara is also a very interesting character. She’s a hard-worker, determined, like to have fun sometimes, and is completely thrown when her body starts to have strange new powers. Watching her change from hard-working athlete to something that is incredibly powerful and almost non-human was interesting. She goes from scared to angry to totally ambivalent to humanity's opinion of her.

Watching the reaction to the world as Mara changed to something completely alien to them was also intriguing. As you can imagine it’s not pretty. You see the best and the worst of humanity here. I loved that there is some humor as well to counterbalance the darkness to this story.

The graphic novel ends well, but the reader ends up having more questions than answers at the end of it all.

Overall I found this graphic novel to be surprisingly enjoyable. I loved the world built here and loved watching how drastically Mara changes throughout the story, I also enjoyed watching the world’s very public reaction to Mara’s developing super powers. I would love to read more about Mara in future installments and find out more about the why and how behind her story. I would recommend this book to graphic novel fans of science fiction and super heros. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 1, 2013 |

Doyle, MingArtistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wood, BrianWritermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bellaire, JordieColorssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cowles, ClaytonLetterssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Compilation of the issues 1-6 of the comic Mara.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,553,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible