Time Rep by Peter Ward

Time Rep

by Peter Ward

193537,190 (4.29)None

Geoffrey Stamp is a nobody, insignificant, less important than certain types of mushroom. Or so he's told.
Living a boring life, accomplishing nothing, staying at home all day long.
No friends, no job, no motivation to change anything about it.
Basically being invisible to the world.
Until his landlord/roommate convinces him to apply for a job which has no qualifications whatsoever.
Cue time travel is a thing.
Time tourism is even more a thing.
A lucrative thing.
A thing that gives Geoff the chance to become a Time Rep for the 21st Century, someone who can show all those time tourists the sights of his time and home.
And time terrorism is also a thing, but really not important. Maybe even less important than Geoff.
Even if, Geoffrey's footprint in human history is so small, it's barely existant. What could he possibly do. Uncover a conspiracy? Come on.

You like Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett?
You'll love Time Rep.
Peter Ward manages to combine time travel, ordinariness, and comedy into an amuzing whirlwind of science-fiction-loveliness.
With an ending you couldn't predict if all the clues were dangling in front of your face like hair after a heavy summer-rain.
And if you are someone who likes plottwists or are the kind of person who throws their books in the corner and scream in your pillow: this book is for you (I for sure scared the living hell out of my parents when I suddenly screamed in the kitchen and threw the book against the wall. Dang, what a nice ending.) ( )
  flyingbreakfast | May 18, 2015 |
ARC provided by NetGalley

Imagine that time travel exists and that you can take a holiday in area of time that you choose. But what do you do once you get there? How do you know what to see? In steps a Time Rep, a tour guide of that era to show you the sites, the cities, and explain the local customs. And not just anyone can be a Time Rep, nope they have to be someone insignificant, someone who if they vanished wouldn't destroy the timeline. And Geoffery Stamp is the perfect person for that role in the 21st century, I mean he is less important than certain types of mushrooms after all. But when Geoffrey uncovers a conspiracy to change the course of time his insignificant life, suddenly becomes a lot more important than people thought and he might just be the most important person in the world.

From the very first page of the book to almost the very end I was hooked on the story and couldn't stop reading. Peter Ward created not only memorable characters, but a situation that I wanted to find out more about and kept me enthralled. I mean how can you not want to know more about a character that's less significant than certain types of mushrooms? Ward's dry sense of humor will keep you laughing and the well spun mystery will keep you guessing until the very end. Ward also does an exceptional job with keeping the timelines straight and not contradicting himself. My only problem with the book is that I felt like Ward carried on a bit too much at the end, trying to be a bit more clever than he needed to be. The book was wrapped up nicely and it was a happy ending and the last chapter was a bit much for me. But if I ignore that then everything else is great.

If you like Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchet then this book is for you. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  zzshupinga | Jul 20, 2013 |
This is a PDF book downloaded from http://www.free-ebooks.net, converted to Kindle Format, for reading on my Kindle.

Geoff was a nobody, and that's why they wanted him. Take a time travel holiday with a Rep from the time period. To be chosen as a Time Rep, you had to have a minimal footprint in history. The problem, aliens are trying to throw a monkey-wrench into humanity's survival, through time terrorism.

Interesting take on time travel. A 'basic' read that I could almost as easily put down for something else.

Mis-spellings are common, some of which may be due to British spellings of words. The Amazon conversion process seems to have 'butchered' the content, creating frequent typographical errors, which are not found in the original file. ( )
  EC130John | May 14, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,405,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible