History of China - The Secrets Of The…

History of China - The Secrets Of The Forbidden City

by Chris Diamond

841,035,133 (2.67)None

This book was informative and interesting, in a historical reference aid kind of way. It is not meant as a story book,but rather it is a translated history not looked at much before this book. If read with its purpose in mind it is insightful and adds new layers to a history jaded by those whom held the power rewriting history for their own goals. ( )
  llmoon | Dec 28, 2013 |
This book (and I use that term loosely) takes less than an hour to read through. Honestly, it reads more like an unedited college essay than an actual book. Apparently some of the previous errors have been fixed, but the version I received is still rampant with mistakes. Those aside, the material is engaging. Chinese history is not something I've been exposed to or showed much of an interest for. So the chance to read through this was informative. All in all, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. It seems as though the information would be readily available through Google and Wikipedia.

**I was gifted this book for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
3 vote Kristen11 | Dec 20, 2013 |
Very awkwardly written, very much in need of an editor if only to prune the constant repetitions. Sorry, Chris, I couldn't finish reading this. Not recommended. I attempted to read the mobi edition from Member Giveaways. ( )
3 vote cq081 | Dec 19, 2013 |
This is a very short overview of a few events relating to the Forbidden City such as it's building, a burning, and various political movements from the 15th through 17th centuries. It is by no means comprehensive, we're talking a couple hundred years here, but the subject matter is interesting and the author's matter-of-fact tone is actually pretty amusing (I'm not sure that was the intention though).

That being said I have a few bones to pick. To start the wording is weird. The author seems to have corrected a lot of blatant errors the first reviewer complained about but the word order in sentences is distracting. I also found a blatant contradiction almost as soon as I started reading, "Chinese specialists in Cambridge University studied the chronicles of the Ming Dynasty to dig out the tale you are about to hear. Very few of these ancient texts have been translated into modern Mandarin, let alone English. After six centuries, these ancient texts had finally been translated." In context it's saying the book we're holding is the result of ancient text translation. Then it says that most of them haven't been translated. Then it says they have! Also note an example of weird wording. People normally would write "Chinese specialists AT Cambridge University" and not use "in". This type of wording is rampant throughout the book.

Another weird thing was when it says, "As already mentioned, silver in form of bars had been increasingly used as currency in Sung time." This might just be me forgetting, but all I remember from earlier pages is a discussion on copper. No mention of silver. The book also seems to reference another text three-quarters of the way through because, "a Taoist group, the Cheng-i-chiao (Correct Unity Sect) had developed in Lin-ch'uan [pg 264]". But I didn't find the title of the book being referenced in the pages of this ebook.

I think this is supposed to be the kind of book kids in middle school would read for social studies and while the subject matter is very interesting it suffers from the lack of a good editor. It would also be nice if the writer placed early events in the book in context. I had no mental reference point for the building of the Forbidden City so I felt kinda of lost at first.

Note: I received a free copy in exchange for my honest review. ( )
5 vote Devanna | Dec 13, 2013 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Chris Diamond's book History of China - The Secrets Of The Forbidden City was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Chris Diamond is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,541,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible