Knock Knock: My Dad's Dream for Me by Daniel…

Knock Knock: My Dad's Dream for Me

by Daniel Beaty, Bryan Collier

This book involves a little boy who grew up with his father, but one day his father didn't return. He wrote letters everyday to him and some how those letters got a response. Turns out the title boy father was arrested during this historical time period where it was common for African American men to be placed into jail for unnecessary thing. This is a good book because it highlights issues that many people in the African American community faces. ( )
  ChantorriG | Apr 11, 2017 |
I would use this book with 2nd grade because the sentences are short but the content within the sentence is very rich with information. I would use this book as an independent read because the boy within the story is around their age throughout most of the book.
  SaraGraviss | Mar 29, 2017 |
While this text may be too triggering or hard for younger children to understand, I believe it is an important book to read to children who may be going through a similar situation. The son in the story has a very close relationship with his father and one day, his father does not come home. The son is very sad and confused and wants his dad to come home to teach him the different aspects of growing up. One day, the son receives a letter from the father, informing him that he may never see him again and that he needs to learn to grow on his own. His dad provides him with the necessary tips for things such a shaving and being a great father himself. While the father is providing advice in the text, the illustrations depict the son growing up and heeding that advice. He becomes a successful, loving father and realizes what his father's absence has done for him. This is a very real scenario that children face in today's world. This book skillfully explains this hard reality to those who understand as well as to those who may not. The illustrations are striking and colorful and support the main message of the story; perseverance. ( )
  phoebedwilson | Feb 28, 2017 |
A story of a boy and his father and what happens to the boy when the father doesn't return home one day.
  edwardcandler | Jan 29, 2017 |
Lovely, colorful illustration. An excellent story to show adversity and rising above it. Follows a young African American boy as he struggles to cope with his father's absence. He turns his sadness into power which brings a inspiring joyful message to the book. A good book to evoke emotion. A book to share with students possibly in similar situations to show that they are not alone and that they have power and goodness within them, despite their home life struggles. ( )
  nicholekoch | Dec 2, 2016 |

Daniel Beatyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Collier, Bryanmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316209171, Hardcover)

Every morning, I play a game with my father.
He goes knock knock on my door
and I pretend to be asleep
till he gets right next to the bed.
And my papa, he tells me, "I love you."

But what happens when, one day, that "knock knock" doesn't come? This powerful and inspiring book shows the love that an absent parent can leave behind, and the strength that children find in themselves as they grow up and follow their dreams.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:44 -0400)

"A boy wakes up one morning to find his father gone. At first, he feels lost. But his father has left him a letter filled with advice to guide him through the times he cannot be there"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,922,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible