Excellent Women (Penguin Classics) by…

Excellent Women (Penguin Classics) (original 1952; edition 2006)

by Barbara Pym, A. N. Wilson (Introduction)

1,714814,144 (4.03)1 / 495
Member:-Cee-
Title:Excellent Women (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Barbara Pym
Other authors:A. N. Wilson (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2006), Edition: First Edition. 1 in number line, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:English, Virago, Gender roles

Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (1952)

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson (catherinestead)
    Commonplace by Christina Rossetti (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Considers the plight of spinsters
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner (Miels)
    Miels: Similar themes and a the same lovely but understated quality to the writing. Both stories are told with wry humor. Both stories have an underlying sadness. (Though Brookner's book tends more to the melancholy side.)
    An Episode of Sparrows by Rumer Godden (BeckyJP)
    Lady on the Burning Deck by Catherine Heath (KayCliff)
    Lolly Willowes, or The Loving Huntsman by Sylvia Townsend Warner (carlym)
    Old Mrs. Camelot by Emery Bonett (MissWoodhouse1816)

English (79)  Tagalog (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (81)
Read all of Barbara Pym's books some years ago on the recommendation of a librarian. Saw a reissued copy of this work at my independent bookstore and decided to revisit. Not sorry! Many laughs were had, following the main character, Mildred Lathbury, wend her way through an "ordinary" life of a spinster in 1950's London. Barbara Pym casts her keen eye on society and it's opinion of "excellent" women, spinsters who seem to live to serve their churches and neighbors with no thought of themselves. May read others again as well. Pym is the Jane Austen of mid-twentieth century Britain. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Aug 12, 2016 |
Oh, how deliciously sharp is Barbara Pym's beady little eye! Although this book is set in a less-than-fashionable district of London a few years after the end of WWII, "excellent women" are apparently the same everywhere, because I have known and observed just such characters as she draws running church bazaars, Sunday Schools and rummage sales in Northeastern PA. I did dare to hope for a while that our Mildred might find the gumption to want something more for herself, but that would have made this a different book entirely. This was my first Barbara Pym, which I picked up because of recommendations from some excellent women of a different sort. I'll be looking for more of her books.
Review written July 2008 ( )
2 vote laytonwoman3rd | Jul 30, 2016 |
This delightful comedy of manners is set in 1950s London where Mildred Lathbury, a single woman dedicated to doing good works, finds herself in the midst of several small dramas involving married and almost-married friends. The novel's pace is meandering which is absolutely perfect for an examination of the minute longings and aggravations that make up daily life, the slight shifts in perspective and conviction that occur as one makes one's way through an ordinary life. Mildred is close friends with the local vicar and his sister and it's evident to everyone that she and the vicar should be headed toward marriage. Julian and Mildred, however, always seem to be just out of step with one another when it comes to romance. As other possibilities come and go, the reader is treated to a humorous series of plot twists and turns, creating a pleasant sense of suspense. This isn't heart-racing suspense, but charming curiosity about where the story will go next. A very satisfying read. ( )
  EBT1002 | Jul 30, 2016 |
A little slow the first few chapters, but then I got caught up in the characters. I love this writer. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |

Uras, ElifTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winkler, DoraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zulaika, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Sister
"Ah, you ladies! Always on the spot when there's something happening!" The voice belonged to Mr Mallet, one of our churchwardens.
"'Dear Mildred, you must learn to feel like drinking at any time. I shall make myself responsible for your education.'" (Rocky Napier to Mildred Lathbury)
I suppose an unmarried woman just over thirty, who lives alone and has no apparent ties, must expect to find herself involved or interested in other people's business, and if she is also a clergyman's daughter then one might really say that there is no hope for her.
Let me hasten to add that I am not at all like Jane Eyre, who must have given hope to so many plain women who tell their stories in the first person, nor have I ever thought of myself as being like her.
I was helping Winifred to sort out things for the jumble sale. "Oh, I think it's DREADFUL when people send their relations to jumble sales," she said. "How CAN they do it?" She held up a tarnished silver frame from which the head and shoulders of a woman dressed in Edwardian style looked out. "And here's another, a clergyman , too." ... "It might almost be somebody we know," lamented Winifred. "Imagine if it were and one saw it lying on the stall! What a shock it would be! I really think I must take the photographs out - it's the frames people will want to buy." "I don't suppose their own relatives send them," I said comfortingly. "I expect the photographs have been in the boxroom for years and nobody knows who they are now." "Yes, I suppose that's it. But it's the idea of being unwanted, it's like sending a PERSON to a jumble sale - do you see? You feel it more as you get older, of course. Young people would only laugh and think what a silly idea."

Mildred Lathbury is one of those excellent women who are often taken for granted. She is a godsend, 'capable of dealing with most of the stock situations or even the great moments of life - birth, marriage, death, the successful jumble sale, the garden fete spoilt by bad weather'. Her glamorous new neighbours, the Napiers, seem to be facing a marital crisis. One cannot take sides in these matters, though it is tricky, especially as Mildred has a soft spot for young Rockingham Napier. This is Barbara Pym's world at its funniest and most touching.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014310487X, Paperback)

An unqualifiedly great novel from the writer most likely to be compared to Jane Austen, this is a very funny, perfectly written book that can rival any other in its ability to capture the essence of its characters on the page. Mildred Lathbury, the narrator of Pym's excellent book is a never-married woman in her 30s--which in 1950s England makes her a nearly-confirmed spinster. Hers is a pretty unexciting life, centered around her small church, and part-time job. But Mildred is far more perceptive and witty than even she seems to think, and when Helena and Rockingham Napier move into the flat below her, there seems to be a chance for her life to take a new direction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:13 -0400)

A subtle comedy about life and its complications chronicles the experiences of spinster Mildred Lathbury, who tends to become involved in other people's affairs, set in England during the 1950's.

Legacy Library: Barbara Pym

Barbara Pym has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Barbara Pym's legacy profile.

See Barbara Pym's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,361,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible