Excellent Women (Penguin Classics) by…

Excellent Women (Penguin Classics) (original 1952; edition 2006)

by Barbara Pym, A. N. Wilson (Introduction)

1,585724,599 (4.02)1 / 471
Member:-Cee-
Title:Excellent Women (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Barbara Pym
Other authors:A. N. Wilson (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2006), Edition: First Edition. 1 in number line, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:English, Virago, Gender roles

Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (1952)

Recently added bytidic, LibraryLover23, katiekrug
Legacy LibrariesArthur Ransome, Barbara Pym
    Commonplace by Christina Rossetti (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Considers the plight of spinsters
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson (CatyM)
    Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner (Miels)
    Miels: Similar themes and a the same lovely but understated quality to the writing. Both stories are told with wry humor. Both stories have an underlying sadness. (Though Brookner's book tends more to the melancholy side.)
    Lady on the Burning Deck by Catherine Heath (KayCliff)
    Lolly Willowes, or The Loving Huntsman by Sylvia Townsend Warner (carlym)
    Old Mrs. Camelot by Emery Bonett (MissWoodhouse1816)

English (70)  Tagalog (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (72)
Our narrator is Mildred Lathbury, a self-described “spinster” in her early 30s, living in a slightly unfashionable neighborhood of 1950s London. She is one of those “excellent women” who can always be counted on to help with the parish jumble sale or have a pot of tea ready during a moment of crisis. She is ready, and almost looking forward to, settling into her spinsterhood. That is, until the Napiers move into the flat downstairs…

This comedy of manners from Barbara Pym is very charming and occasionally moving. Although nothing much happens in the course of this short novel, Mildred is a wonderful narrator to spend roughly 250 pages with. Her observations are sharp and true to life, and her wit--while equally sharp--is also kind. From start to perfect finish, she kept me very much invested in the comedy and small tragedies of her and her acquaintances’ daily lives. ( )
  AlaynaFisher | May 2, 2015 |
Similar to E F Benson in the satire of English country life, Pym has a keen eye for the psychology of humanity. (Excellent women are the church ladies. And BOY are they persnickety.) ( )
  vlcraven | Jan 7, 2015 |
I've finished reading this book.
I'm not quite sure what to think of it. It was defenitely not a WOW, but also not bad at all. Somewhere in the middle, I think. I was waiting for something to happen, for the lives lead by the main characters are quite dull, uneventfull.
On the other hand: when busy with taking care of life every day, keeping an eye on the neighbours, going to church and its charities and helping out when needed (in short: being an excellent woman), I suppose life is never dull, for all small things count. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Dec 23, 2014 |
Set in 1950s England, Excellent Women explores Mildred Lathbury’s small world. She’s a “spinster” in her 30s who lives a quiet life. Her closet friends are a vicar and his sister. When the Napiers, a contentious married couple, move into her boarding house her life is thrown into turmoil.

I struggled with this one because I honestly couldn’t decide if Pym intended it as a parody or not. Mildred comes across as a cookie cutter version of a spinster. She’s a bit nosy and seems to have no real personality. She’s easily swayed by whoever she’s with at the moment. On the other hand, Helen Napier is a fascinating character. She’s a self-proclaimed horrible housekeeper and cook. She’s passionate about her work in the field of anthropologist, and she’s struggling in her marriage. Unfortunately she’s the one who is presented as a bit of a villain.

The book was not without its charm. There’s a scene where Mildred returns to her childhood school for a reunion event. She’s with an old friend and they are talking about how small and simple everyone’s jobs and descriptions sound. They talk about how the main thing everyone cares about is whether or not they are married. It’s sad and true how little our lives can seem so small when we describe them in a single line or two. The depth and heart of anyone’s life get missed when they are simplified in that way.

BOTTOM LINE: Not my cup of tea, but I’d like to try something else by these author to see if it was just Mildred’s personality that rubbed me the wrong way. ( )
  bookworm12 | Oct 27, 2014 |
What an interesting book! I was rather disappointed, however, when I got the end. Not sure why, exactly; I guess I just thought or even expected a particular outcome, and the ending took me by surprise. And then I didn't know if I was supposed to see that outcome in the ending or if I was making up my own ending. But I thought it was really interesting to read about the 1950s - I don't do that much - and especially England in the 50s, and all of this attitude towards spinsters/old maids and the church. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |

Uras, ElifTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winkler, DoraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zulaika, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Sister
"Ah, you ladies! Always on the spot when there's something happening!" The voice belonged to Mr Mallet, one of our churchwardens.
"'Dear Mildred, you must learn to feel like drinking at any time. I shall make myself responsible for your education.'" (Rocky Napier to Mildred Lathbury)
I suppose an unmarried woman just over thirty, who lives alone and has no apparent ties, must expect to find herself involved or interested in other people's business, and if she is also a clergyman's daughter then one might really say that there is no hope for her.
Let me hasten to add that I am not at all like Jane Eyre, who must have given hope to so many plain women who tell their stories in the first person, nor have I ever thought of myself as being like her.
I was helping Winifred to sort out things for the jumble sale. "Oh, I think it's DREADFUL when people send their relations to jumble sales," she said. "How CAN they do it?" She held up a tarnished silver frame from which the head and shoulders of a woman dressed in Edwardian style looked out. "And here's another, a clergyman , too." ... "It might almost be somebody we know," lamented Winifred. "Imagine if it were and one saw it lying on the stall! What a shock it would be! I really think I must take the photographs out - it's the frames people will want to buy." "I don't suppose their own relatives send them," I said comfortingly. "I expect the photographs have been in the boxroom for years and nobody knows who they are now." "Yes, I suppose that's it. But it's the idea of being unwanted, it's like sending a PERSON to a jumble sale - do you see? You feel it more as you get older, of course. Young people would only laugh and think what a silly idea."

Mildred Lathbury is one of those excellent women who are often taken for granted. She is a godsend, 'capable of dealing with most of the stock situations or even the great moments of life - birth, marriage, death, the successful jumble sale, the garden fete spoilt by bad weather'. Her glamorous new neighbours, the Napiers, seem to be facing a marital crisis. One cannot take sides in these matters, though it is tricky, especially as Mildred has a soft spot for young Rockingham Napier. This is Barbara Pym's world at its funniest and most touching.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014310487X, Paperback)

An unqualifiedly great novel from the writer most likely to be compared to Jane Austen, this is a very funny, perfectly written book that can rival any other in its ability to capture the essence of its characters on the page. Mildred Lathbury, the narrator of Pym's excellent book is a never-married woman in her 30s--which in 1950s England makes her a nearly-confirmed spinster. Hers is a pretty unexciting life, centered around her small church, and part-time job. But Mildred is far more perceptive and witty than even she seems to think, and when Helena and Rockingham Napier move into the flat below her, there seems to be a chance for her life to take a new direction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:24 -0400)

A subtle comedy about life and its complications chronicles the experiences of spinster Mildred Lathbury, who tends to become involved in other people's affairs, set in England during the 1950's.

Legacy Library: Barbara Pym

Barbara Pym has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Barbara Pym's legacy profile.

See Barbara Pym's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,254,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible