Big Time (Orca Limelights) by Tom Ryan

Big Time (Orca Limelights)

by Tom Ryan

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Big Time was a fun book to read. With the prevalence of reality tv and competition shows, I'm sure there are many young people like Gerri who dream of being on a singing competition show. They would easily relate to this story and enjoy reading about how Gerri found a new way to embrace her gift of singing after she is rejected by the judges. I would definitely recommend this book to young readers. ( )
  sdbookhound | Apr 3, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a very quick read and I think that young people will enjoy it. It was obviously meant for a much younger audience, so it was a little too easy of a read for me.

It's basically a story about a girl who wants to go on a Canadian version of American Idol. When things don't work out exactly how she hopes they will, she almost gives up her dreams. Notice I say almost, which is very cool because I think it can show pre-teens and teens that resilience and bravery are very important in making your dreams come true.

I do think it was a little short. There were under 200 pages, which could be enough for a lot of kids to read, but might be too little for some bookworms. There was a good deal of Canadian slang, which was interesting, but was to be expected since this was a book set in Canada written by a Canadian author.

The content was a little dry, but that might also be because of the age group that it is written for. I would definitely recommend it for kids who are in the 10-14 age range which is the group that I think it is probably meant for. There isn't any profanity or adult content. There are some rude moments with the book's version of Simon Cowell and some little bits of high school age drama, but nothing that is explicit or obscene in nature. It was just childish people acting childish.

If a kid is interested in music, reality talent shows, or just exploring their dreams, then this is probably a good book for them. ( )
  janersm | Mar 22, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Gerri wants to be on Big Time but is brutalized by a judge during her audition. She considers giving up singing but is invited to join a choral group. As she tries it she discovers the joy of music again. She also discovers that dreams do not die but can be changed to be what is right for a person. I liked Gerri. I also liked Keith, a boy she meets through the audition. This is a quick read and shows that changing your dream is not losing but freeing you to find something of value and worth for you. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Feb 16, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not a bad YA novella, but not really a good one either. It lacks layers. Probably the biggest problem with this book is its dependence on current pop culture: an analog of American Idol is the catalyst for the entire story, and references to Justin Bieber, etc, are going to date this thing fast. And it's a little too black and white: oh, the media circus TV show looks pretty but makes you feel bad while the messier homegrown music makes the world right. It's a sweet message that's just a bit too overt. ( )
  PhoenixBurning | Jan 25, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is uplifting to read. It tends to be a bit preachy, hammering home an agenda about reality TV shows of the talent discovery flavour. Written in first person, narrator is believable. The agenda fits my values; your experience may differ. The requisite happy ending for young adult or pre-teen fiction is supplied, and gives a warm feeling. ( )
1 vote jaelquinn | Jan 20, 2014 |

"Gerri dreams of making it big as a singer on her favorite reality show, big Time, but she hasn't counted on being kicked off early in the competition"--t.p. verso.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tom Ryan's book Big Time was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,443,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible