Otherwise Engaged by Amanda Quick

Otherwise Engaged

by Amanda Quick

Otherwise Engaged
4 Stars

When Amity Doncaster saves the life of Benedict Stanbridge, she unwittingly becomes the target of a deranged serial killer known only as The Bridegroom. Narrowly escaping the madman’s clutches, Amity must join forces with Benedict to stop the killer’s reign of terror before he strikes closer to home...

Anyone expecting something innovative and original from JAK is bound to be disappointed as Otherwise Engaged follows the same formula as the majority of her historical romances written under the pseudonym Amanda Quick. That said, readers interested in a light and entertaining book with enchanting characters and a touch of suspense are in for a treat.

Reader’s familiar with Quick’s books, will rapidly recognize the characters. Amity is a well-educated, independent woman with a yen for world travel and Benedict is the sexy yet slighty bookish Alpha male on the trail of a Russian spy. While their chemistry isn’t exactly off the charts, it is subtle and engaging.

The serial killer plot is gripping with an action packed climax and a satisfying resolution. The secondary plot involving the Russian spy is, unfortunately, not as good and the book would have been better without the unnecessary complexity.

All in all, Quick demonstrates that predictability is not necessarily a bad thing in this delightful historical romance. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This is the first book I've read by Amanda Quick and I completely loved it. She had me liking Amity from the start.

Amity is a woman who is content to live outside of Polite Society and continues to enjoy her travels as she writes a book about traveling the world and the experiences she's had while doing so. She's trying to get her book published and finally gets her wish, after many awful things happen.

I loved that Amity and Benedict balanced each other out. They make a great couple and I hope to find out that this book is part of a series, as I would like to read more about Amity and Benedict.

I loved that Amity had made a weapon out of her fan thing. The picture on the cover had me interested from the very beginning. And to read about a woman who can take care of herself, well, two at that, considering Amity's sister Penny, well, I loved it. ( )
  Laina_Spaulding | Apr 16, 2016 |
This was sure no fluffy romance, I liked that. It felt more like a hybrid.

The back story is over in a few pages, Amity and Benedict meet and part, and that's it. Then Amity gets kidnapped, but she is no swooning miss. She uses the weapons she have and gets away. She is resourceful, and independent (she travels and writes about her travels after all.) I liked Amity, she was a good heroine. Interested in everything and inquisitive.

Benedict, I am just going to call him a nerd because he was and I loved him for it. He is an engineer and loves everything about it. But he is also honorable, brave and with a good head on his shoulders.

I got two characters I enjoy and want to see together. There are also some good side characters.

The story was good too, it moved easy and suddenly I had finished the whole book. Light, yet suspenseful. Amity got away from a murderer who is still alive. So to stay alive they will team up and try to find the guy. There is also another danger in the background that has to do with how they two met in the first place.

Suspense, danger, spying and romance too of course. I enjoyed this one. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
A smart heroine that globetrots the world on her adventures. Unfortunately, the romance that sets up their story is definitely told instead of shown in very quick snippets so you don't believe them. ( )
  hanscraft | Feb 21, 2016 |
I return to this author (under all her pseudonyms ) when I want something light and predictible and she nearly always comes through for me. It's like eating lite Cool Whip out of the container; it won't really satisfy you but it won't hurt you much and it feels good in the moment. ( )
  Narshkite | Jan 25, 2016 |
"Are you a passanger traveling on the Northern Star, by any chance, Madam?"

Miss Amity Doncaster, world traveler, is accustomed to adventure and risk. Benedict Stanbridge, a man of science and a spy for the Crown, has faced danger in the darker corners of foreign lands.
            But they are about to face a threat that is shockingly close to home . . .

One does not expect to be kidnapped on a London street in broad daylight. But Amity Doncaster barely escapes with her life after she is trapped in a carriage with a blade-wielding man in a black silk mask who whispers the most vile taunts and threats into her ear. Her quick thinking, and her secret weapon, save her . . . for now.
            But the monster known in the press as the Bridegroom, who has left a trail of female victims in his wake, has survived the wounds she inflicts and will soon be on his feet again. He is unwholesomely obsessed by her scandalous connection to Benedict Stanbridge—gossip about their hours alone in a ship’s stateroom seems to have crossed the Atlantic faster than any sailing vessel could. Benedict refuses to let this resourceful, daring woman suffer for her romantic link to him—as tenuous as it may be.
            For a man and woman so skilled at disappearing, so at home in the exotic reaches of the globe, escape is always an option. But each intends to end the Bridegroom’s reign of terror in London, and will join forces to do so. And as they prepare to confront an unbalanced criminal in the heart of the city they love, they must also face feelings that neither of them can run away from. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:08 -0400)

Barely escaping a would-be abductor who has left a trail of victims in his wake, world traveler Miss Amity Doncaster discovers that her attacker has become obsessed with gossip that ties Amity to scientist Benedict Stanbridge, a spy for the throne who resolves to bring the killer to justice.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Amanda Quick's book Otherwise Engaged was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,631,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible