To Know You by Shannon Ethridge

To Know You

by Shannon Ethridge

To Know You by Shannon Ethridge & Kathryn Mackel was a good book to read. I really enjoyed reading this and I have to say I love how the book came full circle and I was in love with the ending to this book. I found that at times I would get pissed off at Julia by how she acted and other times I totally understood why she did the things that she did. There are so many ups and downs in this book that kept me going because I was always wondering what was going to happen next with the characters. Like I said before the book goes full circle and I loved that about it. I am so glad I got the chance to read this book. ( )
  mattidw | Dec 17, 2013 |
Talk about having to face your past. Poor Julia, you will be in tears for her. Twenty plus years ago she gave birth to a daughter, and gave her up for adoption. Then Julia ends up pregnant again, and again gives her daughter up for adoption.
Fast forward and she is now happily married to Matt, has a thriving business, that uses her artistic talents, and has a sick, and possibly dying thirteen year old son. Dillon was born with a bad liver, and for one reason or not all of the family, and friends have been ruled out. He is now running out of time.
Can you imagine going to one daughter, never mind two, with the same question of asking for blood type, and a piece of a liver. One we would hope never to have to do. She has to open the box of her heart and in return we hope she receives many blessings.
Will Julia be able to save her gifted son? Will she be able to find a donor in time? In between all of this, she ends up traveling all over the US. Reuniting with her daughter's fathers, can't imagine!! Also, there is a bit of trouble, and danger thrown in.
This is a heart wrenching story, a lot of love, and feeling of God's presence thrown in. Don't miss this one!

I received this book through Litfuse Publicity Book Tours, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Nov 16, 2013 |
This story is very interesting and had me on the edge of my pillow most of last Saturday night and into Sunday morning. There are some very deep subjects covered in Julia's story and it was very emotional and thought provoking all the way through. The salvation message is strong throughout this book and it was easy to see the different levels that each of the female characters were in with their walk with Christ. This is a wonderful book - not just for the strong scriptural and faith background that is all throughout the book. It was also nice seeing strong male role models in Julia's husband and even though Destiny's boyfriend is a brand new Christian he seemed to be going into a family leadership direction. He was caring, prayed for Destiny and supported her but also gave her her distance and allowed the situation and the Holy Spirit to soften her heart.

This would make a great Christmas gift if you know someone who likes thought provoking books and perhaps some of a Christian background (even if they aren't Christians)...

You can read more of my review as it's too long to post here @ http://givingnsharing.blogspot.com/2013/11/to-know-you-win-personal-coaching.htm...

Disclaimer: I was offered a copy of the book to read and review in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not required to have a positive review and no money exchanged hands. Thanks for reading GivingNSharing! ( )
  tiinaj1 | Nov 5, 2013 |
A desperate mother goes to great lengths to help her dying son, even as the secrets she reveals bring into the light long buried griefs. Fraught with tension, To Know You by Shannon Ethridge and Kathryn Mackel is a moving and thought-provoking novel that is a must read.

Julia’s son Dillon has been sick since infancy, but now the young teenager is facing the battle of his life and time is running out. Forced to appeal to the two daughters she gave up for adoption years ago, Julia’s desperate plea is complicated by the messy lives of her daughters and the truth about their fathers that they demand.

There are so many issues tackled in To Know You. There are social issues such as organ donation and adoption and the ethics surrounding them. And then there are the spiritual issues of freedom, forgiveness and grace. With a whole lot to think about and discuss, To Know You is perfect for a book discussion group. It is also an incredibly good read — moving prose, wonderfully real characters and a tension that keeps readers turning pages as fast as they can. Alternating points of view allow the reader to get the whole story — full of emotions and spiritual longings and questions. My favorite phrase in the novel is shame off you - a great truth to remember. I cannot say it often enough — read this book!

Highly Recommended.

Great For Book Clubs.

(Thanks to LitFuse and Thomas Nelson for a review copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Nov 4, 2013 |
I just finished reading To Know You....and my emotions went all over the board with this one, and now I feel wrung out. Phenomenal writing. Guilt. Forgiveness. Unconditional Love, That is what the book is about, in just a nutshell. Forgiving each other, oneself. Loving enough to be willing to be hurt. Following my dream even when it is different from what others think it should be. Understanding their protectiveness as love. What can I do that an all seeing, all knowing, forgiving God will not love me anymore? Is there anything too great for God, to deep? Does a mother's love expand and work across extreme incidents?
Written with a deep love and understanding of relationships, the authors explore almost every type, from birth mother to adoptive mother, husband and wife to man and woman, siblings and non-siblings and almost siblings, health, sickness, death, the whole gamut. Written with talent and intense imagery, I felt I was walking along with Julie as she left her fourteen year old and flew across the country, almost forgetting the breath at some of the situations the characters found themselves in.

I received this book free from Litfuse Publicity Group and Thomas Nelson in exchange for an honest review. A positive critique was not required. The opinions are my own. ( )
  mbarkman | Oct 29, 2013 |

When Julia Whittacker's son requires a liver transplant, she must track down the two daughters she has not seen since she gave them up for adoption as infants in order to ask for their help in saving her son's life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,350,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible