Shadowplay by Laura Lam

TheIdleWoman | Jul 18, 2016 |
4.5/5
Although I loved Pantomime, I loved Shadowplay even more. Maybe it's because Micah The Acrobat for me wasn't as interesting as Micah The Illusionist? Maybe the world-building got even more vivid and sumptuous? Or maybe the main characters, deeply flowed as they were matured very gracefully.

In the end of Pantomime Micah and Drystan are on the run, and Drystan takes them both to the only person who can hide them successfully - a retired magician, Jasper Maske.

Hiding in a dusty old theatre, full of secret workshops and faded glory, Micah, Drystan and Jasper come up with a plan to bring the magical performances of the past back to life. All of them have their grave secrets to bear and all of them need some hope to go on. With the addition of the lovely Cyan, their plan brings them first to attention of Jasper's sworn enemy and then makes them stand out as the word of the upcoming duel between the two famous illusionists spread out.

Funny how, despite Micah's dual nature I kept thinking of him as a boy. He mostly felt like a boy except for a few girly moments. I guess it was a state of mind, not just physical attributes. Because of that, Drystan's acceptance of him as a person not male or female was even sweeter. The romance between them felt mature, tangible, gorgeous without any sexual details. I really rooted for them both, there was such a strong link between them.

Apart from the romance, there were plenty of other wonderful things going on. Micah and Drystan were learning magical tricks, constructing illusions, while trying to locate a mysterious Shadow who went after Iphigenia in the first book.

And of course there was ever strengthening link between an ancient Chimaera and Micah, which at last shed light on Micah's abilities and his connection to the technologies of the past.

Amidst seances, romance, secrets, emotional blackmail and striking visions, be ready for a vivid fantasy adventure with an explosive finale! Heartily recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
‘Shadowplay’ returns us to the world of Ellada that the author created in ‘Pantomime’. Micah Grey and Drystan, having escaped from the circus after the multiple deaths, need to hide out. Drystan takes them to the home (and former theater) of master magician Jasper Mask, who has been retired for many years after losing a bet with a rival magician. Mask takes them in and agrees to teach them magic while they hide from the people who are hunting for both the young man Micah and the young woman Iphigenia, not knowing they are one and the same, both genders in one body. They manage to find one of the people who are hunting them, but there is second one, who is much shrewder and better at hiding their identity. And it’s getting harder to hide as another bet of the master magician’s pulls them into the limelight.

Ellada is like a far future Earth, where extremely sophisticated technology exists only as relics, curiosities, and shards, while the people live rather like we did sometime between the Middle Ages and the Victorian age; a post apocalyptic Renaissance Faire. The world is very interesting and appealing, as are the characters. There are so many unknowns, from what Micah might mean to the whole planet to what the blue glass domes that are strewn through the city are. I am dying to know how this trilogy turns out! ( )
  lauriebrown54 | Mar 20, 2014 |

So I’m reading Shadowplay by Laura Lam, sequel to the awesome LGBT-embracing genre-busting badasss as hell YA fantasy Pantomime which (if you didn’t already guess) I love to no end.

And I’m only a few chapters in and I’m already SO FULL OF FEELINGS about this Micah and Drystan.

FEELS. SO MANY FEELS.

EMaree | Feb 11, 2014 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-eH
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-eH ( )
  Saretta.L | Jan 21, 2014 |

Micah must help Maske the magician escape those who pursue him, see where his feelings for Drystan will go, and find out how he and Cyan are tied into the mysteries of ancient and modern Ellada.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible