A Pleasure and a Calling: A Novel by Phil…

A Pleasure and a Calling: A Novel

by Phil Hogan

English (20)  Dutch (2)  All (22)
Very fun, very creepy thriller with an extraordinary narrator who's part Dexter and part Talented Mr Ripley and maybe part Carson the butler from Downton Abbey. ( )
  annhepburn | Mar 4, 2018 |
Suspenseful, chilling, and impossible to put down. ( )
  clarehexom | Jan 12, 2018 |
This was more than a little creepy. Well written psychological crime novel which may make you just a little less trusting. ( )
  infjsarah | Apr 17, 2017 |
0.00
  johnrid11 | Feb 14, 2016 |
The main character William Heming is one creepy man. Real estate agent, he has the keys to every home and sneaks in when you're not around, eating or taking souvenirs. Since his choldhood, something is not right with William and getting older, things haven't changed.

Told as a diary, you discover the depth Heming will go to set things right , well the right thing that would benefit him.

Creepy, funny thriller! ( )
  dom76 | Jan 8, 2016 |
As unique and well-drawn as William Heming seems in this gripping, thrilling novel, perhaps he is simply a product of modern life that is more common than we’d like to think. If we carelessly leave our lives unlocked, maybe we shouldn’t be surprised when the Mr Hemings of this world push open our doors to take a closer look.

There's real skill in the way that Hogan – a writer for this paper – pieces this unsettling story together. Its success depends on an intricate combination of things: the gradual drip-feed of information; the meticulous unfurling of a complicated plot; and, above all, the plausibility of its main character. Hogan's ventriloquising of Heming is impressive. He captures perfectly his mix of rationality and madness – the sense of logical means applied to deranged ends. The result is that we sympathise with Heming, embrace his plight – which only heightens our discomfort.

If you were to put a gun to my head and ask me to explain myself, I suppose I might begin by saying that we are all creatures of habit.

A deliciously unsettling, darkly funny novel about a man who quietly spies on the private lives of his neighbors. You won't remember Mr. Heming. He was the estate agent who showed you around your comfortable home, suggested a financial package, negotiated a price with the owner, and called you with the good news. The less good news is that, all these years later, he still has the key. That's absurd, you laugh. Of all the many hundreds of houses he has sold, why would he still have the key to mine? The answer is; he has the keys to them all.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,535,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible