The girl from the well by Rin Chupeco

The girl from the well

by Rin Chupeco

Ghosts (96)

As far as YA horror I think this is the best I've seen in a long time. I enjoyed the setting, I'd have to read more reviews to see if her cultural references were correct, but if they were they were great. I also sincerely loved the narrator's voice. Very creepy, very unsettling at times.
It definitely pulled and played with traditional horror tropes, especially those from the eastern sources, but it was still a very fun read. I managed to gobble it up in a sitting. ( )
  Adilinaria | Aug 10, 2017 |
This is an absorbing read - I couldn't put it down! A ghost story that's immersed in the Japanese spirit world, complete with exorcisms, unexplained deaths, and characters you will care about. The writing is excellent and I was hooked by the first sentence, "I am where dead children go." Positively chilling! ( )
  mjolorenz | Jun 30, 2017 |
If you liked the horror movie franchise The Ring you'll love the book. It definitely has a great horror quality to it but best of all it kept me riveted because I could not put it down until I knew how it was going to end. The only disappointing thing about it was that it did eventually end. First time I ever rooted for the "evil" character. ( )
  ttsheehan | Feb 9, 2017 |
Readable and with a plot that kept me moving forward but what started out as a nice strong terror that made me jump ended up with me feeling lukewarm and kind of meh. Lost its steam as it went.

Check out my full review. (Link will be live January 1, 2017). ( )
  gaialover | Dec 25, 2016 |
Ehhh...a Japanese ghost story. Neither particularly scary, not particularly atmospheric. I kept thinking the pace would pick up and/or I'd start feeling unease or a sense of dread. Never did. Life's short, head for greener pastures. ( )
  angiestahl | Nov 26, 2016 |
For Les – who taught me that monsters need love, too.
I am where dead children go.

I am where dead children go.

Okiku is a lonely soul. She has wandered the world for centuries, freeing the spirits of the murdered-dead. Once a victim herself, she now takes the lives of killers with the vengeance they're due. But releasing innocent ghosts from their ethereal tethers does not bring Okiku peace. Still she drifts on.

Such is her existence, until she meets Tark. Evil writhes beneath the moody teen's skin, trapped by a series of intricate tattoos. While his neighbors fear him, Okiku knows the boy is not a monster. Tark needs to be freed from the malevolence that clings to him. There's just one problem: if the demon dies, so does its host.

Okiku has wandered the world for centuries, freeing the innocent ghosts of the murdered-dead and taking the lives of killers with the vengeance they are due, but when she meets Tark she knows the moody teen with the series of intricate tattoos is not a monster and needs to be freed from the demonic malevolence that clings to him.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,921,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible