A Symphony of Echoes by Jodi Taylor

A Symphony of Echoes (2013)

by Jodi Taylor

Series: The Chronicles of St Mary's (2)

This is the second book in the fascinating Chronicles of St. Mary's, an extremely entertaining time travel series. At the beginning of the book, Max, now a seasoned and trained Historian, manages to accidentally bring Jack the Ripper back from Victorian London, then goes back in time to Scotland where she needs to ensure the marriage of Mary, Queen of Scots, to preserve history. One of the very best sections of the book involves a Dodo hunt, which is both amazing and hilarious.

We see many of the characters we met in the first book. They are realistically portrayed and some of the situations where they are in peril seem believably resolved. Given this is a fantasy novel, I guess I'm not sure if realistic is the correct word. Max and Leon's relationship hits a snag in this book and I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Because there are several time jumps in this book, I was worried that it would seem like a book of short stories but the author has managed to keep everything tied together. I think my recommendation would be to expand a bit on only two of the subplots instead of four. Hopefully the next book in the series will be a little smoother in that respect. I gave this book an extra half star for the audio narration by Zara Ramm, who is the perfect voice of Max.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
A Symphony of Echoes - Taylor
Audio performance by Zara Ramm
4 stars

The Chronicles of St. Mary’s #2, the adventure continues. Historically, this book takes on Jack the Ripper, the murder of Thomas a Beckett, and dodos. (Loved the dodos!) The eventful relationship between Dr. Maxwell and Chief Farrell hits a major (and somewhat unconvincing) rough spot. This series would be a fun young adult read except for the very adult sexual content. Perfect for ‘older’ young adults, though. There’s lots of bawdy conversation to supplement the comedic sexual encounters. It’s fun, but ...erotic? ….not so much. This book does have my favorite postcoital comment ever, ”He dropped off to sleep like the giant pyramid trying to hang glide.” I did laugh out loud.

Zara Ramm has great delivery of the heavy-handed, sarcastic, comedy. I doubt very much that these books would interest me in written form. ( )
  msjudy | Apr 21, 2017 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Apr 13, 2017 |
I flew through this St. Mary's followup. It starts with Max and Kal going to Victorian England to see Jack the Ripper, and as always, there are unexpected consequences that pull you in and hold on tight. Horror, humour, science fiction, supernatural entities and even a little romance thrown in for good measure. The St. Mary's Institute for Historical Research is full of characters can continue to surprise in unpredictable ways, getting into scrapes in the past, and the future, and uncovering mysteries and fixing the time line along the way. A fun and interesting read that keeps you turning pages to see what will happen next! I love this series!! ( )
  LongDogMom | Feb 21, 2017 |
In this second novel of the Chronicles of St. Mary's series, Madeleine "Max" Maxwell is now in management. She and her team begin this novel on White Chapel in an attempt to identify Jack the Ripper. This time jaunt is followed by trips to Canterbury Cathedral to witness the assassination of Thomas Beckett and to Nineveh to search for the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. If these trips which are rarely ever without problems is enough they also must deal with a time travelling villain who is trying to erase St. Mary's from history.

This series has become a guilty pleasure. The novels are light reading and the reader has the opportunity to learn about various historical periods and events. If you are a fan of the television series, Timeless, you need to pick up this series. ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 28, 2017 |

Jodi Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ramm, ZaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
History is a symphony of echoes heard and unheard. It is a poem with events as verses.

Charles Angoff
This book is for Connie and Martin who had faith.
And for Dani who actually did it.
And for Christine.
One of the best things about our job is that if you live long enough, you get to choose your last jump. (Prologue)
God only knows where we were, and we couldn't see a thing.

In the second book in the Chronicles of St Mary's series, Max and the team visit Victorian London in search of Jack the Ripper, withess the murder of Archbishop Thomas a Becket in Canterbury Cathedral, and discover that dodos make a grockling noise when eating cucumber sandwiches.

But they must also confront an enemy intent on destroying St Mary's - an enemy willing, if necessary, to destroy History itself to do it. [retrieved 3/10/2016 from Amazon.com]

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,987,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible