Bittersweet by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore

Bittersweet (2014)

by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore

English (45)  Dutch (1)  All (46)
I thought this book was very interesting. It is somewhat boring in the beginning but it gets better later on.
I still cannot decide if I like the main character Mabel or not. She seems a little too skiddish or easily impressed. I was hoping for a strong willed character but I'm not sure about Mabel.
Overall, the book was written wonderfully. I liked the suspense it had with the families secret. The author definitely knows what she is doing when it comes to writing.
I would recommend this book to others because of the meaning of it. To me it shows a girl trying to find herself which is what most girls and women do. I would read other books from this author no matter the genre. Definitely worth the 4 stars. ( )
  booklover2004 | Jun 23, 2017 |
Although Miranda Beverly-Whittemore's novel "Bittersweet" had some rough spots along the way, I really didn't mind them because I enjoyed the book ever so much. It was one of those books that I couldn't wait to get back to reading.... and that doesn't happen terribly often for me these days.

The novel focuses on the Winslow family, who own some sort of summer retreat and invite a girl named Mabel to come along. (They really don't seem the sort of people who would spend the summer in cabins though.) Mabel, who has secrets herself, tries to unravel the secrets of the family, all the while longing to become a member of the family. At times, this reminded me of a (light!) version of Brideshead Revisited.

I found the plot was a bit on the predictable side (and our narrator Mabel seemed a little slow on the uptake... mainly because Beverly-Whittemore's foreshadowing was a bit heavy-handed.) Yet, I still give this book a high rating because the characters were, on the whole, interesting people that I enjoyed learning more about. This isn't great literature, surely, but it was overall fun, quick read and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another book by this author. ( )
  amerynth | Jun 10, 2017 |
I really tried to like this book, but the majority of the characters were just not likeable and some were really stupid. The setting just seemed to be the same old run of the mill "family summer retreat" with nothing to make it interesting. ( )
  cyderry | Mar 23, 2017 |
A bad beach book (which is really disappointing!). The plot "twists" of this book are both obvious and improbable. Suicide, rape, Nazis--she fits everything in. The narrator is generic and her realizations are painfully slow. I was not happy to have picked this one for the start of my vacation. Ugh. ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
When I started this one I could not put it down, I read for hours, enthralled by the lyrical prose. It was such great language and a well crafted story.

Awkward Mabel's roommate invites her to stay at their family cottage, make that cottages. They have a lot of them and each family member has one of their own when they are old enough. Mabel comes out of her shell, but at the same time is that truly a good thing? Are the Winslows good people? I liked her mind, but the world is grey, and that is shown.

Her friend Ev is all over the place with her own secrets. The book is about Mabel realizing she is quite alone there. Making her own friends, digging into family archives. Something sinister lies at the bottom of this place. As the story progresses the tone changes in a way, makes the prose haunted and hunted for that matter. And the secrets that unfold, they are quite the secrets indeed. The title fits well too, the end is truly bittersweet.

It's a book you will not be able to put down, and one book that I do recommend you to try. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
For Ba and Fa, who shared the land,
and Q, who gave me the world
Before she loathed me, before she loved me, Genevra Katherine Winslow didn't know that I existed.

Winning a scholarship to a prestigious college where she befriends a beautiful girl of privilege, unassuming Mabel joins her friend during a lakeside summer surrounded by wealthy vacationers only to discover morally ambiguous truths about her friend's family fortune.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Miranda Beverly-Whittemore's book Bittersweet was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,932,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible