The Grinding by Matt Dinniman

The Grinding

by Matt Dinniman

421,664,912 (5)None

ABR's original The Grinding audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

The Grinding by Matt Dinniman is action packed, fast moving adventure that screams sci-fi and aliens. However, that would be a false assumption. Dinniman sets the story up for the reader to reach that conclusion early on so that when one reaches the truth behind The Grinder, one cannot help but sit there gape-mouthed and stunned. I was truly not expecting this huge, really huge twist!

The main characters are Adam, Niff and The Grinder. This is not a tale about the military although they do play a small role. This is a tale about Adam and his relationship with his wife Niff and his blossoming relationship with The Grinder. It is a first-hand accounting of the experiences of one man against The Grinder. Dinniman does an excellent job of keeping the information flowing but keeping the stunning revelation for the right moment. Personally, I’m not so sure I would take on such a huge monster to save my spouse … Adam’s undying love and dedication to his wife is amazing. His struggles and growth builds a strong connection to the reader. I was really hoping he would make it and rescue his wife and the world. Little did I know the role he would ultimately play.

Dinniman provides rich descriptions of The Grinder and the havoc it wreaks. My favorite characters, however, were short lived twins (conjoined twins with one body and two heads). Adam’s journey to rescue his wife introduces the reader to several unique and interesting side characters that impact the growth of Adam from nerd to hero.

There are some creepy elements – hearing the walking dead inform Adam repeatedly that “Niff was waiting for him” was somewhat unsettling. Interesting takes on issues that face society and humankind … a definite Must Read!!!!

Chris Sorenson, narrator, did a very nice job. I did find that Adam was a whiny guy – but that stands to reason as he was the stereo-typical 96 pound weakling facing off against a goliath. Sorenson did an excellent job projecting the stunned feeling of Adam and others as they came into contact with The Grinder.

There were no issues with the production, it was solid.

Audiobook provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Sep 15, 2015 |
From page one I was hooked and not in a blob freezing kind of way ;)

I have to say this, I was quite impressed. Horror isn't a normal genre for me, but I was intrigued by the blurb and the sci-fi feel. Toss in a little romanticism (The MC and wife, the friends, etc), an unexplainable blob with some freaky powers, a lot of crap blowing up ... you get the idea. As I read, I found myself laughing here and there, which helps to lighten the OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE atmosphere.

The characters were some of the greatest and most believable I've read in a long time. One of my favorite parts was when they military captures him and tosses him in with the C-2's. From start to finish, I was nodding my head, and commentating like I was watching it unfold on the TV. Then all those C-2's ... I don't want to spoil it ... calling his name ... creeptastic.

I'm definitely going to add this author to my watch list. ( )
  AuthorRaeZRyans | May 24, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193906533X, Paperback)

Six months ago, the world watched in horror as we lost an American city. The Grinder. That's what the survivors of Tucson called the monster. Just one touch, and they became a part of it. It used their bodies as limbs and as weapons. In just a matter of hours, it became huge, a towering monstrosity made entirely out of tens of thousands of people and animals. This isn’t behind-the-scenes bullshit from the point of view of the military. This isn’t yet another conspiracy theory about what really happened to Air Force One that night, or about the decision to nuke Tucson. This is a rare, eyewitness account from someone who was there, in the midst of the destruction. But most importantly, this is the terrifying truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:37 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,467,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible