Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton…

Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles) (2014)

by Jeffrey Archer

Intense and wonderful and sad and of course, the cliffhanger....that leaves me wanting more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jessica has fallen in love and leave it to Lady Virginia to ruin it... Don Pedro is still full of hate for the Barrington and Clifton families.... He sends his son to destroy Jessica's paintings, which he does and so much more...

Cedric Hardcastle finds a way to play Don Pedro at his own game, but will the mission be successful, and will they all make it out alive and well... ( )
  shannon.dolgos | Sep 5, 2017 |
42. [Be Careful What You Wish For] by Jeffrey Archer - 4.5 Stars

Be Careful What You Wish For is the fourth novel in the Clifton Chronicles, set primarily in England and spanning the years 1957 to 1964. It continues to follow the Clifton and Barrington families as they try to outmaneuver Don Pedro Martinez, an Argentinean smuggler who featured heavily in the prior novel, Best Kept Secret.

I don't recommend reading this book as a standalone novel because you would miss out on some of the history of the drama that is always in high gear in this epic family drama. The series chronicles the life and times of Harry Clifton, his wife, Emma Barrington, and Emma's brother and Harry's best friend, Giles Barrington. There are some incredibly memorable characters throughout the series. I have to admit some of my favorites are the evil ones, especially Lady Virginia and Major Alex Fisher, who try their best to seek revenge on the Cliftons and the Barringtons.

Potential readers should be warned that each and every one of these novels ends with a cliffhanger. The good news is that all seven of the Clifton Chronicles are now published so you won't have to wait for a year to discover how the cliffhanger is resolved. I'm totally hooked on the series and have been listening to it in audio, narrated by Alex Jennings, who is phenomenal. The writing is smooth and the narrative effortlessly takes the reader on an engaging journey through the lives of the characters. Be Careful What You Wish For is everything you would want or expect from a Jeffrey Archer novel. I can't wait to read Book 5 – Mightier Than the Sword. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
How ever you feel about Jeffrey Archer personally he writes a good story. I loved his earlier books when I was a teenager and I loved this. It may not be great literature but he spins a good yarn and knows how to keep you coming back for the next instalment. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
I generally like my novels with a beginning, middle, and end that tells a coherent story, so it shouldn’t have surprised me that Be Careful What you Wish For wouldn’t appeal to me. It lacked those elements, and was written in the style of an old primetime soap opera like Dynasty or Dallas. The prevailing elements of the story involved a feud between the Clifton/Barrington families and Don Pedro Martinez, a Mafioso from Argentina. Although some of the elements of the novel were intriguing, there was also a great deal of fluff that simply didn’t interest me, and I found my attention waning at various times in the novel. By the end, I didn’t much care how the story would be resolved, although I wasn’t anticipating it playing out the way it did.

I didn’t find Martinez to be a remotely credible villain. He often came off as a clown, and I don’t think he could have been a successful gangster if he was so consumed with revenge even if it would end in his financial ruin. In the real world, gangsters, at least the ones with notoriety and longevity, don’t act that way. I also didn’t at all care for the fact that Martinez was so hell bent on destroying the Clifton/Barrington families, yet they were so passive about defending themselves. In fact, it took outsiders of the family with less invested than them to actually take on Martinez. As a result, none of the main protagonists impressed me in any way, which was probably why I didn’t care what ultimately happened to them. For a novel to succeed, you must care about the characters, and I did not care for them. I think I will pass on any further novels in this series, and would recommend readers to do likewise.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Feb 6, 2017 |
Book Description
Bestselling author Jeffrey Archer's Be Careful What You Wish For opens with Harry Clifton and his wife Emma rushing to hospital to learn the fate of their son Sebastian, who has been involved in a fatal car accident. But who died, Sebastian or his best friend Bruno?

When Ross Buchanan is forced to resign as chairman of the Barrington Shipping Company, Emma Clifton wants to replace him. But Don Pedro Martinez intends to install his puppet, the egregious Major Alex Fisher, in order to destroy the Barrington family firm just as the company plans to build its new luxury liner, the MV Buckingham.

Back in London, Harry and Emma's adopted daughter wins a scholarship to the Slade Academy of Art where she falls in love with a fellow student, Clive Bingham, who asks her to marry him. Both families are delighted until Priscilla Bingham, Jessica's future mother-in-law, has a visit from an old friend, Lady Virginia Fenwick, who drops her particular brand of poison into the wedding chalice.

Then, without warning, Cedric Hardcastle, a bluff Yorkshireman who no one has come across before, takes his place on the board of Barringtons. This causes an upheaval that none of them could have anticipated, and will change the lives of every member of the Clifton and Barrington families. Hardcastle's first decision is who to support to become the next chairman of the board: Emma Clifton or Major Alex Fisher? And with that decision, the story takes yet another twist that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Be Careful What You Wish For showcases the master storyteller's talent as never before when the Clifton and Barrington families march forward into the sixties, in this epic tale of love, revenge, ambition and betrayal.

My Review
This is the 4th installment in the Clifton Chronicles and the story just gets better and better and so do the cliffhangers that send you spiraling into the next book just to see what happens next. The timeline in the book is the 60's and planes are becoming the preferred mode of travel. The Barrington's have just completed their new luxury liner and their enemies are thwarting their every move. The twists and turns in Archer's novel keep you turning the pages and before you know it the novel ends and you're still wanting more. I highly recommend these books to those who love family sagas and I look forward to starting book 5 as soon as possible. ( )
  EadieB | Jul 2, 2016 |
To Gwyneth
Sebastian tightened his grip on the steering wheel of the little MG.

"Be Careful What You Wish For opens with Harry Clifton and his wife Emma rushing to learn the fate of their son Sebastian, who has been in a fatal car accident. But who died, Sebastian or his best friend? When Ross Buchanan is forced to resign as chairman of the Barrington Shipping Company, Emma Clifton wants to replace him. But Don Pedro Martinez intends to install his puppet, Alex Fisher, in order to destroy the Barrington family firm just as the company plans to build its new luxury liner. In London, Harry and Emma's daughter wins a scholarship to the Slade Academy of Art where she falls in love with Clive Bingham, who asks her to marry him. Both families are delighted until Jessica's future mother-in-law has a visit from a friend who drops her particular brand of poison into the wedding chalice. Then Cedric Hardcastle, a Yorkshireman who no one has come across before, takes his place on the board of Barringtons. This causes upheaval and will change the lives of every member of the Clifton and Barrington families. Hardcastle's first decision is who to support to become the chairman of the board: Emma Clifton or Alex Fisher? And with that the story takes yet another twist that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Be Careful What You Wish For showcases the master storyteller's talent as never before--when the Clifton and Barrington families march forward into the sixties in this epic tale of love, revenge, ambition and betrayal"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible