Alphas: Origins {ss} by Ilona Andrews

Alphas: Origins {ss} (edition 2011)

by Ilona Andrews (Author)

Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Alphas: Origins {ss}
Authors:Ilona Andrews (Author)
Info:in Angels of Darkness, Berkley, October 2011
Collections:Read, Read but unowned, Inclusions, Cover done
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fic, SF, @ReadFrom:LibraryAF

Alphas: Origins by Ilona Andrews

Ordinarily love this writer, but not their best. Characters not clearly delineated, motivations murky. For example, exactly how is this group protecting humanity? And where did the other group come from? And how is this an Alpha book? Even the powers, once determined, seem arbitrary. Plenty of violence around, but -- unlike her other books -- the world itself doesn't seem like it could function, even if that method is undescribed background. For example, if confined to just a few buildings on a fragment detached from the "real" universe, where are the high quality foods coming from? Usually those questions are buried in the wonder of the plot and characters. Here, not. I look forward to their next book. ( )
  abycats | May 11, 2018 |

** Read in [b:Angels of Darkness|10557809|Angels of Darkness (Alphas, #0.5; Guild Hunter, #3.5; The Guardians, #7.5; Samaria)|Ilona Andrews|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1327938643s/10557809.jpg|12785399] **

I enjoyed this short story. It’s darker then what I’m used to from the Andrews team. It was very interesting and the world is vast. I would love more, maybe a series, but at this time the Andrews team has no plans on writing more in this world/series.

The heroine, she is thrown into a difficult situation and she coupes with it rather well, maybe to well. I enjoyed all the characters introduced. I just felt we needed more. We barely scratch the surface of this new world and the characters.

Alphas: Origins is an intense, stressful, and fast-paced adventure.

Rated 3.5 Stars

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
Okay, something of theirs that I didn't enjoy! I made it to the end, but I just never got into the characters. I wouldn't read more in this world. Thankfully this was a library check out thru OverDrive. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Dec 19, 2017 |
This was an interesting novella by the Andrews and one of the few books/novellas by them that I haven’t read. I ended up really enjoying this but felt like it was way too short and abrupt. This story takes place in a new world (not one of their existing ones). It was very engaging and entertaining but would have made an even better full length book.

This book has a very urban fantasy feel to it but also has a lot of science fiction elements. Initially it seems like it’s going to be one of those urban fantasy books with monster hunters...then things get weird when Karina wakes up in a splinter realm of Earth.

There is a ton of interesting world building and I desperately wanted to spend more time in this world. The whole civil war between different species was utterly fascinating and I was disappointed it wasn’t longer.

The characters were just as fascinating with their crazy powers and needs. Karina is in an interesting situation; she was kidnapped but only because if Lucas didn’t kidnap her she was going to die. So it’s kind of this strangely noble kidnapping rescue of sorts. Both Karina and Lucas are interesting characters with a lot of depth. They have excellent chemistry together and act like mature and responsible adults despite their bizarre situation.

Many of the side characters are awesome as well. I could see this being a great series where each book focuses on a different one of the subspecies characters that live with Lucas. Or we could get more of Karina and Lucas...I would love that too.

I was impressed by how much world-building and story occurs in this relatively short novella. However, things end very abruptly and I was dying to learn more.

Overall this was a very engaging read that was a blend of urban fantasy and science fiction. There is some awesome world-building here, a complex story, and absolutely amazing characters. I really enjoyed the story. I was disappointed at how abruptly it ended and really thought this would have made a better full length novel. Hopefully we see future books set in this world. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 19, 2017 |
Weird, interesting, drawing me into that world (if I can figure out which of Ilona's series it is). Karina's a lot tougher than she thinks, or than they think - which is good, she'll need it. Lucas...is a little too perfect - not in looks, but as a romance hero. Utterly tough, vicious, dangerous - and really just wanting to be loved, to belong somewhere or to someone. Still, interesting, and I'd like to see more of him. Emily's doing pretty well for a six-year-old, though it's a good thing Henry can put her to sleep or wipe her memories at crucial moments. And the climax is excellent - outcasts for the win! Possibly the best infodump story I've ever read - it comes out in simplified dribs and drabs, for a very good in-story reason. And yes, I definitely want to read the series that this introduces. ( )
1 vote jjmcgaffey | Nov 28, 2012 |
Karina Tucker took a deep breath.

From Ilona Andrews?#1 New York Times bestselling author of Magic Shifts and the Kate Daniels novels?comes a stark, seductive tale of a world torn asunder by supernatural gifts and irresistible passions... Karina Tucker is driving a van of children home from a field trip when an unplanned detour to a seemingly ordinary rest stop changes her life. There, she witnesses a world beyond humanity's sight, of frightful powers and chaos, where she is in death's grip...before an irresistibly dangerous male saves her?only to take her captive. For she is a rare commodity in the shadowy realm she's entered. Karina soon finds herself caught in a violent civil war where those with inhuman powers strive to destroy each other without mercy. And it becomes all too clear that she must make a choice: submit and become a pawn, or take hold of her own destiny and fight for survival against impossible odds. Alphas: Origins originally appeared in Angels of Darkness . Praise for Ilona Andrews and the Kate Daniels Novels "Ilona Andrews pens my favorite flavor of keeper novel: tough characters, marvelous voice, fast-paced with that sharp edge of humor that adds the final grace note."?Patricia Briggs, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Fire Touched "One of the brightest voices in urban fantasy. Ilona Andrews delivers only the best."?Jeaniene Frost, New York Times bestselling author of Bound by Flames "Gritty sword-clashing action and flawless characterizations will bewitch fans."? Sacramento Book Review INCLUDES A TEASER FOR MAGIC SHIFTS… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible