Farewell, my lovely by Raymond Chandler

Farewell, my lovely (1940)

by Raymond Chandler

Series: Philip Marlowe (2)

English (49)  Spanish (4)  All languages (53)
Farewell, My Lovely is the classic Raymond Chandler story of PI Philip Marlowe. Marlowe, a former investigator for the DA’s office, is a loner whose business is slow at the moment. A big bruiser, Moose Malloy has gotten out of prison after serving 8 years for a bank robbery. He's looking for his girl, a redheaded singer named Velma. Marlowe is on the premises of a nightclub when Moose busts in and shoots and kills the manager. Soon after, Marlowe gets hired as a temporary bodyguard by Lindsay Marriott, who is ransoming a fine jade necklace for a friend after it was stolen during a carjacking. But Marlowe gets knocked out on the job and Marriott ends up beaten to a pulp. Soon there are a number plots surrounding Marlowe—and how they intersect (or not) –is Marlowe’s to figure out. We meet the classic dame, the corrupt cop and a few red herrings. If you are interested in a classic, high browed version of the “pulp fiction” novel –this is it. The language is classic—though at times not vey PC. Marlowe is the epitome of the hard drinking, loner PI—I actually listened to this novel being read by Elliot Gould (the actor who played Marlowe in the 1970s) making the story even better. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Jul 30, 2015 |
Much better than The Big Sleep and The Long Goodbye. Enjoyed this one immensely. ( )
  KeishonT | Mar 29, 2015 |
I found the plot too confusing: because there were so many things going on and virtually nothing to tie them together, I lost interest. In the end these random things were of course tied together, but the writer gave no hints along the path on how this would happen. It just happened.

The book was full of unnecessary description of every day life that had nothing to do with the plot. The discussions were mostly full of nonsense as well. In a way all this randomness and meaninglessness reminded me of life as everyone knows it. In general, there is no plot or logic or aim in real life and most of the discussion is just meaningless nonsense to fill the emptiness. I'm not sure though if I need to read about this in a book as my life is so full of it already. ( )
  Lady_Lazarus | Feb 28, 2015 |
Smarter people than I might be able to poke holes in this one, but I can't. 5 stars, and this one goes on the Deserted Island list. Quite possibly a perfect novel--the descriptions, the dialog, the plot, and the twist, all wrapped up in a cynical, brilliant package. The best I've read in a very, very long time. ( )
  Pat_F. | Jul 25, 2014 |
What a confusing and overly flowery story.
The core is not too bad of an idea, but I had the feeling that Chandler
tried to make this into a novella when it would have been better of as
a short story. His overuse of flavour text was getting quite annoying
towards the end and gave me a really hard time to even finish this
book. A lot of the descriptions did not add to the atmosphere of the
story, on the contrary it distracted from what was going. The case
itself was solved within two pages at the end without much real
sleuthing going on even though Marlow was running around like crazy,
getting into trouble only to hear in the end that he knew more or less
all along who the culprit was. A very uninspired story all in all. ( )
1 vote Black-Lilly | Apr 4, 2014 |

Raymond Chandlerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dexter, ColinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was one of the mixed blocks over on Central Avenue, the blocks that are not yet all Negro.

Marlowe's about to give up on a completely routine case when he finds himself in the wrong place at the right time to get caught up in a murder that leads to a ring of jewel thieves, another murder, a fortune-teller, a couple more murders, and more corruption than your average graveyard.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

Moose Malloy, a six-foot-five giant just out of prison, gets detective Philip Marlowe involved in his seemingly hopeless search for Velma, his missing girlfriend.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,031,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible