Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler

Farewell, My Lovely (1940)

by Raymond Chandler

Series: Philip Marlowe (2)

English (65)  Spanish (4)  Italian (1)  All (70)
exCon Moose hires Marlowe to find his lost girl friend ( )
  margaretfield | May 29, 2018 |
Read this book for the clever writing and numerous bon mots, or not at all. At points Chandler seems to be in love with his own voice, devoting entire pages to describing a single character, room, or other scene. The plot crawls along at a snail’s pace, encumbered by the excessive emphasis on description and the inclusion of unnecessary scenes. ( )
  Tatoosh | May 16, 2018 |
The 2nd of Chandler's books to feature hard-boiled detective Philip Marlowe has him involved in not just one but two murders. The first was a night club owner killed by a giant of a man aptly called Moose Malloy. It seems Moose was looking for the girl he left behind when he was put away for armed robbery 8 years ago and the owner didn't give him the answers he was looking for. As Moose had quite literally dragged Marlowe into the club he feels compelled to do a little digging of his own while Moose goes on the lam. The second killing was of a man who hired Marlowe as a bodyguard of sorts while he paid a ransom to get some rare jewellery back that had been boosted from a lady friend. Seeing as he didn't do such a good job at protecting his client Marlowe feels compelled to investigate that too even though the cops warn him off.

It's been a few years since I read The Big Sleep and I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the main character and the pulp-noir feeling of this series. It was a welcome return as I really enjoyed how the story unfolded. Chandler has a way with words and draws the reader in to the seedy underbelly of big city life. There may be a proliferation of similes but when they're this good you don't really mind. As it was written in 1940 then there is the offensive racial terminology and views of the time to consider but if you can get past that then you're in for a treat. Equally as good, if not better, than its predecessor this comes thoroughly recommended. ( )
2 vote AHS-Wolfy | Apr 13, 2018 |
What a wonderful wild ride. ( )
  Omegawega | Apr 1, 2018 |
March 2018 reread: 4.5* this time around (rather than the 5* I gave it before)

The story makes a lot more sense in the book than the 1945 Dick Powell film adaptation (called "Murder, My Sweet") (the surprise of which I think is the reason I rated it higher last time). ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 27, 2018 |

Chandler, Raymondprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dexter, ColinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyytäjä, KaleviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was one of the mixed blocks over on Central Avenue, the blocks that are not yet all Negro.

Marlowe's about to give up on a completely routine case when he finds himself in the wrong place at the right time to get caught up in a murder that leads to a ring of jewel thieves, another murder, a fortune-teller, a couple more murders, and more corruption than your average graveyard.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

Moose Malloy, a six-foot-five giant just out of prison, gets detective Philip Marlowe involved in his seemingly hopeless search for Velma, his missing girlfriend.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,485,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible