Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler

Farewell, My Lovely (original 1940; edition 1988)

by Raymond Chandler

Member:klpm
Title:Farewell, My Lovely
Authors:Raymond Chandler
Info:Vintage (1988), Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:fiction, mystery

Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler (1940)

English (56)  Spanish (4)  English (60)
Not quite as fun to read as the first book, The Big Sleep.

I still loved the snappy dialog, but the not entirely coherent plot was a little more off-putting with this one. With more period jargon and quite a bit of casual racism, it was harder to ignore that this was written the better part of a century ago definitely dulled my enjoyment.

I think I'll skip to The Long Goodbye and then call it done for this series. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this second book in the series. I listened to the audio format. The story was interesting and makes me think of 'noir' classic detective movies. Ray Porter, as the narrator, does a fantastic job. I found that he really brought Marlowe to life. I also thought that he did an ok job with the female voices. This is the type of story, with this narrator, that I could listen to a number of times. It is now certainly on my wish list to buy, since I've only listened to the library copy to date. ( )
  FiLoMa | Oct 28, 2016 |
A great detective story that is the embodiment of the hardboiled detective genre. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jun 14, 2016 |
"There was something wrong with the job from the start. I could feel it. But I needed the money." (pg. 77)

Farewell, My Lovely is an excellent read and a profound improvement on the first Philip Marlowe book, The Big Sleep. That previous book compensated for its style-over-substance approach by ramping the style up to eleven; for Farewell, My Lovely that dial is still on eleven, but author Raymond Chandler has turned the substance up to match.

The prose and the dialogue are as gorgeous as ever. Some of the conversations bristle with energy, and there's scarcely a collection of words that can set a scene so succinctly as the following: "There was just enough fog to make everything seem unreal. The wet air was as cold as the ashes of love." (pg. 268). That's just one of many, many examples I could give, and I find it telling that many reviews of Chandler's books – particularly this one – seem to consist of a list of the reviewer's favourite passages. Chandler is the master of evocative and original similes – it's intoxicating to read.

Furthermore, in Farewell, My Lovely, Chandler has not just provided flair but, in contrast to The Big Sleep, the plot has considerable steel to it. The various threads all link together nicely, and the deaths at the end carry emotional impact. It's sometimes hard to follow why Marlowe is investigating a certain person or place but there is an underlying coherence about it (even if it sometimes eludes you), and the rhythm of the prose is smooth enough to keep things moving.

The characters are larger-than-life, but have an underlying tragedy about them so that they never seem cartoonish. Moose Malloy is an imposing figure and Randall has a good few meeting-of-minds with Marlowe. The main women – Mrs Grayle and Anne Riordan – are engaging, and Red is a good one-scene wonder. But above all, this is Marlowe's stage. The character really comes into his own in this book; he was carried along by the tide of events a bit in The Big Sleep, but here he's the one making waves. And usually getting cracked on the back of the head with a blackjack for his trouble. He's a refreshingly reckless character: his detective skills need a bit of work, but in fairness he does spend the best part of the novel either concussed or drunk. It's hard not to feel fondness for the underdog with a bit of swagger; the scrappy with a core of nobility. As characters repeatedly tell Marlowe when he's doing something reckless, "you take some awful chances, mister." But I'm glad I took a chance on Chandler.

"I got up on my feet and went over to the bowl in the corner and threw cold water on my face. After a little while I felt a little better, but very little. I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room." (pg. 248) ( )
  MikeFutcher | Jun 3, 2016 |

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

It was one of the mixed blocks over on Central Avenue, the blocks that are not yet all Negro.

Marlowe's about to give up on a completely routine case when he finds himself in the wrong place at the right time to get caught up in a murder that leads to a ring of jewel thieves, another murder, a fortune-teller, a couple more murders, and more corruption than your average graveyard.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

Moose Malloy, a six-foot-five giant just out of prison, gets detective Philip Marlowe involved in his seemingly hopeless search for Velma, his missing girlfriend.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,642,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible