Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler

Farewell, My Lovely (original 1940; edition 1988)

by Raymond Chandler

Member:klpm
Title:Farewell, My Lovely
Authors:Raymond Chandler
Info:Vintage (1988), Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:fiction, mystery

Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler (1940)

English (52)  Spanish (4)  All languages (56)
1940 ( )
  ChrisPisarczyk | Mar 17, 2016 |
Not my normal type of book choice, this was my first Raymond Chandler novel. Private Detective Philip Marlowe witnesses the murder of a Negro at the hands of an enormous white man just released from prison. He's not the murdering type - just doesn't appear to know his own strength and he's looking for his girlfriend, last seen as this now-"colorored" establishment. His desire to know more leads him into all sorts of trouble, from which he emerges, if not unscathed, at least free to fight to fight another day. At first I wasn't sure I'd like this book because there were so much slang that was particular to the day (dinge, smokes, and shine for example, which turned out to be slightly less offensive terms for people of color than the "N" word) and the casual way racism is accepted as the norm. It's not a book about racism however, and If you can get past the language, it is a very witty book. He is a master of the one liners. Some of my favorites:

"Even on Central Avenue, not the quietest dressed street in the world, he looked about as inconspicuous as a tarantula on a slice of angel food."

ÛÏHe had a battered face that looked as if it had been hit by everything but the bucket of a dragline. It was scarred, flattened, thickened, checkered, and welted. It was a face that had nothing to fear. Everything had been done to it that anybody could think of.‰Û

‰ÛÏWe sneered at each other across the desk for a moment. He sneered better than I did.‰Û

"The house itself was not so much. It was smaller than Buckingham Palace, rather gray for California, and probably had fewer windows than the Chrysler Building. I sneaked over to the side entrance and pressed a bell and somewhere a set of chimes made a deep mellow sound like church bells. A man in a striped vest and gilt buttons opened the door, bowed, took my hat and was through for the day."

"I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun."

And...this discussion between the cop Nulty telling Philip Marlowe about the capture of the man they thought was their perpetrator: "All we had to go up against him was two county cops with guns and blackjacks...So he done exercises with the cops and when they was tired enough to go to sleep, he pulled one side off their car, threw the radio into the ditch, opened a fresh bottle of hooch, and went to sleep hisself. After a while the boys snapped out of it and bounced blackjacks off his head for about 10 minutes before he noticed it."

And...this: "...I was looking at a tall blond man in a white flannel suit with a violet satin scarf around his neck. There was a cornflower in the lapel of his white coat and his pale blue eyes looked faded out by comparison. The violet scarf was loose enough to show that he wore no tie and that he had a thick, soft brown neck, like the neck of a strong woman. His features were a
little on the heavy side, but handsome, he had an inch more of height than I had, which made him six feet one. His blond hair was arranged, by art or nature, in three precise blond ledges which reminded me of steps, so that I didn't like them. I wouldn't have liked them anyway. Apart from all this he had the general appearance of a lad who would wear a white flannel suit with a violet scarf around his neck and a cornflower in his lapel."
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Like it says in a review in the back cover, "Raymond Chandler is a master!" And it shows again in this novel! The character of Moose Malloy is a classic! And as Marlowe chases him, he runs into a jewel heist, murder, quack psychic, an offshore gambling boat, and dames! My only beef is that it's hard to read the racist comments Marlowe thinks/says, even if that is just how it was when it was written. Still, it's Chandler, it's Marlowe, and it's a good, fun read! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
Audio book from library--read by Elliot Gould ( )
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
Farewell, My Lovely was published in 1940 by Raymond Chandler, the “inventor” of the hard-boiled private detective. It’s the second novel he wrote, and features the iconic detective Philip Marlowe. Marlowe is not a very nice person sometimes but he’s honest, strong, and brave. The story opens with Marlowe running into a huge man named Moose Malloy, who is searching for a former sweetheart named Little Velma. He just happens to be searching for her in the dive where she used to be a singer and that’s where the problems start. Moose ends up killing the owner of the bar in a back room, and Marlowe gets sucked into the story, even though he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Moose vanishes and Marlowe begins to look for Velma, trying to track down the source of this mystery. Inevitably, of course, his questions lead to further questions, jewelry heists, gigolos, loose women, marijuana, thugs, crooked policemen, and murder. Even though I initially found this book frustrating because of the disjointed way things seemed to be developing, I think the reader will eventually enjoy the way a series of events that seem totally unconnected and don’t make sense, will be pieced together.

This book contains some offensive racial language, but it's definitely a must for fans of hard boiled fiction. Darker and grittier than The Big Sleep, Farewell, My Lovely details the steamy side of big city life with its crooked cops and seductive women. The author gives a great deal of attention to detail, provoking emotion when least expected. Although other writers have tried to emulate his caustic terse style, no one has written better pulp fiction than Raymond Chandler, and Farewell, My Lovely is a great example. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |

Chandler, Raymondprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dexter, ColinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyytäjä, KaleviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

It was one of the mixed blocks over on Central Avenue, the blocks that are not yet all Negro.

Marlowe's about to give up on a completely routine case when he finds himself in the wrong place at the right time to get caught up in a murder that leads to a ring of jewel thieves, another murder, a fortune-teller, a couple more murders, and more corruption than your average graveyard.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

Moose Malloy, a six-foot-five giant just out of prison, gets detective Philip Marlowe involved in his seemingly hopeless search for Velma, his missing girlfriend.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,916,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible