Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler

Farewell, My Lovely (original 1940; edition 1988)

by Raymond Chandler

Member:klpm
Title:Farewell, My Lovely
Authors:Raymond Chandler
Info:Vintage (1988), Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:fiction, mystery

Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler (1940)

English (58)  Spanish (4)  All (62)
The story is somewhat complex in the characters and relationships. Some information provided by characters are lies so it is confusing. The detective Marlowe is almost a super hero to cut through all the confusion and solve the crime. Also, he endures super human physical injury without being disabled or killed. The author uses interesting similes throughout the book, which adds an interesting twist. I am not much for crime novels, so I can not recommend this strongly. ( )
  GlennBell | Jun 28, 2017 |
Book on CD narrated by Elliott Gould

From the book jacket: Marlow’s about to give up on a completely routine case when he finds himself in the wrong place at the right time to get caught up in a murder that leads to a ring of jewel thieves, another murder, a fortune-teller, a couple more murders and more corruption than your average graveyard.

My reactions
I came late to Chandler’s series about P.I. Philip Marlowe, but I sure am enjoying them now! The action is non-stop, and the characters so vivid they virtually jump off the page. Chandler’s sentences are short and crisp, but he still has time to employ some of the most colorful metaphors and descriptions in the English language. There are plenty of twists in the plot to keep the reader guessing, and Marlowe is a marvelous lead character. I’ll definitely keep reading the series.

Elliott Gould does a fine job of voicing the audio version. He has great pacing and is a marvelous actor. I was a little concerned when I first noticed that he was the voice artist for this book; his voice is distinctive and I thought I would be picturing him throughout the book. But that was not the case at all. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jun 8, 2017 |
Not quite as fun to read as the first book, The Big Sleep.

I still loved the snappy dialog, but the not entirely coherent plot was a little more off-putting with this one. With more period jargon and quite a bit of casual racism, it was harder to ignore that this was written the better part of a century ago definitely dulled my enjoyment.

I think I'll skip to The Long Goodbye and then call it done for this series. ( )
1 vote oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this second book in the series. I listened to the audio format. The story was interesting and makes me think of 'noir' classic detective movies. Ray Porter, as the narrator, does a fantastic job. I found that he really brought Marlowe to life. I also thought that he did an ok job with the female voices. This is the type of story, with this narrator, that I could listen to a number of times. It is now certainly on my wish list to buy, since I've only listened to the library copy to date. ( )
1 vote FiLoMa | Oct 28, 2016 |
A great detective story that is the embodiment of the hardboiled detective genre. ( )
1 vote kale.dyer | Jun 14, 2016 |

Chandler, Raymondprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dexter, ColinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyytäjä, KaleviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

It was one of the mixed blocks over on Central Avenue, the blocks that are not yet all Negro.

Marlowe's about to give up on a completely routine case when he finds himself in the wrong place at the right time to get caught up in a murder that leads to a ring of jewel thieves, another murder, a fortune-teller, a couple more murders, and more corruption than your average graveyard.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

Moose Malloy, a six-foot-five giant just out of prison, gets detective Philip Marlowe involved in his seemingly hopeless search for Velma, his missing girlfriend.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,048,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible