A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd

A Snicker of Magic

by Natalie Lloyd

English (41)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (42)
Felicity Pickle arrives in the town of Midnight Gulch with her mother and little sister. Even though this town was home to her mother, Felicity fears that they won’t stay because her mother can’t seem to remain in one place for very long. A classmate named Jonah becomes her friend and she really now more than ever wants and needs to find a place to belong. Felicity believes that her family has been cursed to wander because of some magic spell that was cast on her ancestors and she is determined to find a way to break the curse and change their lives so that they can stay in the magical town of Midnight Gulch.

This middle grade fantasy is chock full of marvelously quirky characters with a plot that just nibbles around the edges of that thing called magic making it an thoroughly enjoyable read. I delighted in the words that Felicity collected and created including “spindiddly” and “factofabulous” and appreciated the writing style of Natalie Lloyd’s debut novel. I would highly recommend this book about family, friends and a snicker of magic as a good read for the tween audience.
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Felicity has grown up on the road but maybe she's come home when they arrive in Midnight Gulch. Ms. Lloyd gives younger readers a taste of magical realism in a town that has ice cream that stays frozen without a freezer, piano players that can control a thunderstorm, and a main character who see words all around her. The magic and the breaking of the curse are a fun aspect of the novel, but the love and friendship that develop in the characters are what makes this story so lovely. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Oct 30, 2018 |
“A Snicker of Magic”, by Natalie Lloyd is about Felicity Juniper Pickle. Felicity had been over six states across the country. She has just moved to Midnight Gulch, Tennessee with her mother, her sister and her dog, Biscuit. Felicity has been moving her entire life and she is hoping this move, to Midnight Gulch, will be last move for a while. When they reached Midnight Gulch, Felicity went to live with her Aunt Cleo, she made friends with The Beetle, AKA Jonah Pickett and learned about The Brothers Threadbare. Felicity also met her Uncle Boone for the first time, figured out a mystery that she was related to The Brothers Threadbare and what Isabella Thistle took from the Brothers Threadbare. At the very end Felicity joined the Stoneberry Dual and found out that she is staying in Midnight Gulch.

“A Snicker Of Magic”, was a story that I could definitely relate on. I have moved seven times in my life. I really liked this book because it makes you think twice of all the people that you know have moved a lot or is in the military. I also like this book because it tells a story about a girl with her sister and mom, and how she has to grow up moving everywhere, all the time. “A Snicker of Magic” also tells us that even when Felicity’s father left five years before they moved to Midnight Gulch, she is staying strong and hoping with all her heart that Midnight Gulch is her last move. I love that in the end Felicity is finally home, sweet home. So the magic in Midnight Gulch, Tennessee never left, it just needed someone to stir and dig up the magic again. ( )
  KaylaB.B2 | Oct 18, 2017 |
Natalie Lloyd's book is one of those rare, special books that grab you from the beginning and you don’t want to be released because the journey is quite simply, “splendiferous.” Our extremely likable narrator is Felicity Juniper Pickle, a 6th-grade girl as unique as her mother’s hometown, Midnight Gulch, where she, her mother, little sister Frannie Jo and dog Biscuit are in the process of moving to. Her family has moved around a lot and Felicity yearns for her own tiny bit of magic: “a place where families stay together and in one place”—home. She soon learns from her mother and teacher that Midnight Gulch used to be a magical place until the Brothers Threadbare fought, left town and took all the magic with them via a curse. But is the magic really all gone? And what is the whole story behind the brothers and the curse? "A Snicker of Magic" is quite simply one of the most delightful and best books I read in 2014; beautiful prose, wonderful, eccentric, interesting characters, an engaging plot, and a hometown sweetness that will have you smiling as you reach for your own favorite magical ice cream. After all, in Felicity's words, “home is what happens when you’re brave enough to love people.”

Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Sep 20, 2017 |
"They say all the magic is gone up out of this place," said Mama.
This is a fact I know to be true, thanks to all my world-weary travels: Making new friends, in a new place, when you’re the new girl, is harder than fractions.
Numbers tell all sorts of stories to some people, but they’ve never done so much as whisper at me.
The way he said her name made my heart cramp. In all my years of word collecting, I've learned this to be a tried and true fact: I can very often tell how much a person loves another person by the way they say their name. I think that's one of the best feelings in the world, when you know your name is safe in another person's mouth. When you know they'll never shout it out like a cuss word, but say it or whisper it like a once-upon-a-time.
So you keep catching them words, you hear? Pluck them out of the wind. String them together like the finest set of pearls. Line them up on paper. And if it hurts too much to say them, then you sing them, or whisper them, or write them into a story. But don't waste them. Your words matter more than you know.
Women who make you laugh, and who make you think, and who also happen to wear yellow flowers in their hair are always dangerous.

Introducing an extraordinary new voice---a magical debut that will make your skin tingle, your eyes glisten . . .and your heart sing.

Midnight Gulch used to be a magical place, a town where people could sing up thunderstorms and dance up sunflowers. But that was long ago, before a curse drove the magic away. Twelve-year-old Felicity knows all about things like that; her nomadic mother is cursed with a wandering heart.

But when she arrives in Midnight Gulch, Felicity thinks her luck's about to change. A "word collector," Felicity sees words everywhere---shining above strangers, tucked into church eves, and tangled up her dog's floppy ears---but Midnight Gulch is the first place she's ever seen the word "home." And then there's Jonah, a mysterious, spiky-haired do-gooder who shimmers with words Felicity's never seen before, words that make Felicity's heart beat a little faster.

Felicity wants to stay in Midnight Gulch more than anything, but first, she'll need to figure out how to bring back the magic, breaking the spell that's been cast over the town . . . and her mother's broken heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

The Pickles are new to Midnight Gulch, Tennessee, a town which legend says was once magic--but Felicity is convinced the magic is still there, and with the help of her new friend Jonah the Beedle she hopes to bring the magic back.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,871,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible