Cross Creek by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Cross Creek (1942)

by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

South Moon Under by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (John_Vaughan)
    The Creek by J. T. Glisson (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: JT was 'mentored' by Rawlings and encouraged in his education and art.

Very good essays about life in Ocala Florida in the 30s and 40s somewhat racist but the times allowed this and she is actually allowed to be disgruntled with her employees, n'est PAS? ( )
  mahallett | Jan 27, 2016 |
Great description. some stories make me think I have read this before, others are horrifying in these times. An accurate picture of a time gone by. Full characters. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Cross Creek is an examination of place, first and foremost. The early pages remind me of conversations tourists have had with us Islanders; as natives who have stubbornly defended our "inconvenient" and "curious" ways of life. Cross Creek is a rural parse of Florida where alligator, snake and toad hunting is the norm. The bugs bite more than the snakes and Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings is in the thick of it all. Set in the early 1940s when racial inequality was at an all-time low Rawlings's story is cringe inducing and belly splitting. Her employees are one step away from slaves and she views them as such. Poverty is a way of life in Cross Creek and yet Rawlings embraces it. Her humor outweighs the poor and the prejudice. If you need proof, read the chapter called "A Pig is Paid For" (p 97). How Rawlings blithely explains the pleasure of shooting her neighbor's pig is funny. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Mar 14, 2011 |
. It amazes me every time i read this wonderful book that I find new reasons to enjoy it. This is at least the fourth time around and it just keeps getting better. I consider myself a good writer, but Ms. Rawlings is way beyond me. Her nuances make me smile ande sometimes laugh out loud. It doesn't hurt that I have lived in her country, just six miles as the crow flies from her house on Little Orange Lake, and I probably will get back there if was youinger. Her descriptions of Cross Creek in 1942 are almost identical to those of mine in 1996. She had many redbirds however, and I do not remember one about my cabin. ( )
  andyray | Aug 1, 2010 |
200. ( )
  kitchengardenbooks | Apr 28, 2010 |

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlingsprimary authorall editionscalculated
SHENTON, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shenton, Edward Illustrated byIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shenton, Illustrator EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cross Creek is a bend in a country road, by land, and the flowing of Lochloosa Lake into Orange Lake, by water.
We were bred of earth before we were born of our mothers. Once born, we can live without mother or father, or any other kin, or any friend, or any human love. We cannot live without the earth or apart from it, and something is shriveled in a man's heart when he turns away from it and concerns himself only with the affairs of men.

Originally published in 1942, Cross Creek has become a classic in modern American literature. For the millions of readers raised on The Yearling, here is the story of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings's experiences in the remote Florida hamlet of Cross Creek, where she lived for thirteen years. From the daily labors of managing a seventy-two-acre orange grove to bouts with runaway pigs and a succession of unruly farmhands, Rawlings describes her life at the Creek with humor and spirit. Her tireless determination to overcome the challenges of her adopted home in the Florida backcountry, her deep-rooted love of the earth, and her genius for character and description result in a most delightful and heartwarming memoir.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:20 -0400)

American author Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings recounts her experiences dealing with farmhands and wildlife while managing an orange grove for thirteen years in rural Florida.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,470,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible