Dead Lagoon by Michael Dibdin

Dead Lagoon (1994)

by Michael Dibdin

Recently added byPrimo_Blair, feeling.is.first, private library, Aristocats, peterpetcarp, AlainCipit, MaryHeleneMele
Legacy LibrariesLeslie Scalapino

English (19)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (23)
This author keeps surprising me. This particular episode includes maps of Venice and it was so much fun tracing with my finger the trips up and around the canals. The last few pages were a political commentary eeriely appropriate to our current presidental contest. p.280 "You talk of Dal Maschino like a lover... He's won your heart and you don't understand why I can't see what you see in him....it's an old story...You've made an inspirational leader out of an opportunistic mob-orator and you've remade the history to fit."
Sounds like the reaction to Sarah Palin, to me. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
3.5 stars

Currently re-reading this series, and loving every minute of it. I'd forgotten how laugh-out-loud some of the metaphors used in Dead Lagoon were, and although the story isn't as much of a page-turner as others in the series, I'm still a fan. ( )
  RachelAmphlett | Jul 23, 2018 |
Aurelio Zen is returning to his hometown of Venice to look into the disappearance of an American millionaire. But because the disappearance case seems to have been closed for security reasons, he adopts the pretext of taking a case on behalf of a family friend. The contessa, as he knows her, is elderly and believes she is being visited by ghosts or spirits. Or are her visitors connected to more earthly crimes?

The star of this book is Venice. Through Zen’s eyes we see the city as a native and as an outsider would. This was written over 20 years ago, and then, as now, there were concerns about tourists overrunning the city and pricing out the residents, lack of job opportunities for the young, and skewed demographics. There are also rumblings of a breakthrough in rooting out corruption at the highest levels of government. It’s all an interesting backdrop to the cases Zen gets involved in.

I did find myself slightly ahead of Zen in the deductions department, but it was still a good read in general. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Apr 6, 2018 |
This fourth book in the Aurelio Zen series started off slower than the previous books in the series for me. However, by the end I was glued to the page. Zen's manuevers between doing honest police work and surviving the official bureaucratic politics were up to his usual standards but there is a bit more about his personal life & past which surface both in Zen's reminiscences & in revelations from people who knew him & his family when they lived in Venice. Zen also exhibits some distressing behaviour in his personal & professional life (some but not all of it unintentional) so I am curious to see how he will be in the next book. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jan 4, 2018 |
Interesting and atmospheric, this read gains an extra star for the evocative portrayal of Venice and the lagoons. Set against the backdrop of an election, and an investigation into ghostly goings on, Aurelio Zen comes across as a mostly well meaning but sometimes vindictive and insensitive bloke and detective. He seems more thoughtful in later books. ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
To my daughter, Emma
A ragged line of geese passed overhead, silhouetted against the caul of high cirrus, heading out towards the open sea.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679753117, Paperback)

In this, the latest in the Aurelio Zen series, Zen is in Venice under false pretenses. He's ostensibly there to investigate the "haunting" of an old family friend, but actually, and illegally, in town to find the body--dead or alive--of the missing patriarch of a wealthy American family.

"Zen is as sharp as ever in dealing with sneering Venetian lowlifes and bent Venetian cops. This masterfully atmospheric tale...will make most readers wish he could have stayed on the case forever." --Kirkus Reviews

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:40 -0400)

Italian detective Aurelio Zen returns to his native Venice to probe the disappearance of a wealthy American resident, but his investigation draws him into a disturbing confrontation with revelations about his own life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,425,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible