Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction…

Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction October/November 1994

by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Other authors: Jill Bauman (Cover artist), Charles de Lint (Book reviewer), Bradley Denton (Author), Susan Dexter (Author), Gardner Dozois (Author)16 more, Harlan Ellison (Author), Joseph Farris (Cartoonist), Esther M. Friesner (Author), Parke Godwin (Author), Sidney Harris (Cartoonist), Heath (Cartoonist), Jonik (Cartoonist), John Kessel (Book reviewer), Stephen Kraus (Author), Kathi Maio (Film reviewer), H. Martin (Cartoonist), Robert Reed (Author), Mike Resnick (Author), Shanahan (Caratoonist), Bruce Sterling (Contributor), Ray Vukcevich (Author)

Series: The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (521-522), The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction Anniversary Issue (45)

151647,891 (3)None

As a collection, there isn't anything that stands out. Most of the stories are average, with a few below average. I skipped the articles with reviews of movies and books.

We Love Lydia Love - Bradley Denton. A cute story about a star Country Music Singer, and what the company will do to get her to cut a record. Good, but nothing special. I thought it went on too long.

A Cat Horror Story - Gardner Dozois. Meh. As a cat lover, I found the story to be a bit dated. Or maybe I didn't like the loving cat owner was depicted... I didn't like it.

Small Change - Parke Godwin. A typical deal with the devil yields unexpected results. This time, with loose change. Cute, nothing special.

Herding Instinct - Susan Dexter. A sorcerer takes in a worthless puppy, much to his dismay. But, the puppy is something special. A cute story.

A Beltaine and Suspenders - Esther M. Friesner). It took too long to get to the point, but once it did, it was a fun read.

Sensible City - Harlan Ellison. This is more a horror story, than anything else. I thought it was too gimmicky without a lot of substance.

The Arificial Body - Bruce Sterling. I briefly paged through it.

White Walls - Stephen Kraus. Um... its a story that has a lot of promise, but doesn't come through. Its a world of a dystopian earth, with corporations owning towns, and conscripting people if they happen to be in the wrong place. Its also a story about being afraid of germs gone awry.

Giant Step - Ray Vukcevich. This story didn't make a lot of sense - homeless people are put in space suits? I didn't get it.

The Shape of Everything - Robert Reed. The old man who discovered that life didn't start randomly reminisces on a memory. Another meh story.

Seven Views of Olduvai Gorge - Mike Resnick. This one was bittersweet, I liked it on face value, but the negative undercurrent of this story kind of ruined it for me. Its a depressing story. It also feels dated, not technology wise, but culture wise. The story of the last Maasai was heartbreaking. I think with a bit more background on why the human empire died, would have been helpful. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Sep 7, 2014 |

Resnick, MikeAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
ShanahanCaratoonistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sterling, BruceContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vukcevich, RayAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible