Doubt (Among Us Trilogy) (Volume 1) by…

Doubt (Among Us Trilogy) (Volume 1) (edition 2013)

by Anne-Rae Vasquez

Member:Anne-Rae.Vasquez
Title:Doubt (Among Us Trilogy) (Volume 1)
Authors:Anne-Rae Vasquez
Info:AR Publishing (2013), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:paranormal, young adult, early adult, apocalypse, thriller

Doubt (Among Us Trilogy) (Volume 1) by Anne-Rae Vasquez

This is a very well written book, directed to the young adult audience, but that any reader that is looking for spending some hours entertained will enjoy very much this reading. The plot is simple to follow. Harry and Cristal just earned their PhD’s and went to work together for a company named GN (Global Nation). Harry is a young and brilliant programmer, son of a famous quantum physicist (Aaron) that died during an after-work dinner party. His father had some strong theories on how time travel was doable. His partner in business (Dr. Saeed) was also a famous experimental scientist. His mother (Bina) disappeared while volunteering on a peacekeeping mission in Palestine. Harry developed a game named Truth Seekers and he started hiring to work for him all the best programmers and game players he could find. They all had a mission to find out what was behind the scenes on certain mysterious events. And with the development of the story we learn that some members of this team have some special abilities that are not completely natural. Cristal is capable of produce earthquakes, although she is afraid of her powers and is not sure how they work or how she can control them. During a moment she was upset, she caused a major earthquake that was sensed in many different cities in the world. Kerim, her boyfriend, is capable of reading her mind. And things are not what they look like. They find some portals that could be entrances for wormholes for time travelling and they go to Israel to research one of those portals. But not everybody in Harry’s team knows what is going on and which his motivations to create his missions are. He wants to look for his father and mother. Mystery and intrigue cause turbulence on the relationship among the members of Harry’s team. And during a persecution from the Israeli Secret Service to capture Kerim, some details about his nature are revealed.
This is a very good start to a trilogy that promises to be very exciting.

This book was written by Anne-Rae Vasquez and I received a copy for reviewing from Inkspand and I was not requested to write a positive review. Opinion expressed here is my own. ( )
  rmattos | Jan 23, 2016 |
I was given a free copy for an honest review.

This book was slow to start off, but quickly gained pace. The whole online game aspect was not explained at all. I would have liked to learn more about it. I also don't like how rude Doubt it. I hope the characters are fleshed out in the next books. ( )
  lesindy | Jul 5, 2015 |
The story has some interesting ideas.
Unfortunately, there was a lot of telling instead of showing in the beginning, on top of which we're introduced to a lot of characters. I've never been good with names, and with the way this story is set up there are both real names and aliases, so right off the bat if five characters are introduced I'm supposed to remember ten names. With the telling instead of showing on top of that, I didn't have a lot to remember the characters by. We get told "X doesn't like Y" or "Z is a genius".
When they text each other a lot of times the book is pretty good about mentioning which alias is who, but not always.

The characters are trying to find their missing parents. It's a good setup, but Harry is the only one we get much background about. And it was good. Harry had a genius father that people admired, but his father mostly ignored him so he never felt very attached. Instead, he felt more attached to his mother, who actually paid attention to him. I wish we'd seen more with his mother.

I know almost nothing about the other parents people are looking for. It's like a missed opportunity to get to know each character and their stories.
There are a lot of times when characters look for a McGuffin in a story and it's fine (for example, pirate stories almost always involve finding treasure, but the treasure is rarely that important to the story). The parents shouldn't be McGuffins. They should be people the reader is hoping get saved.
There's a lot of talk about 'decrypting files', 'having secret meetings', 'secret missions' or 'playing the Truth Seeker game'. All of these things stay vague a lot of the time and take up more of the book than needed, because they discuss them but we don't see much. I couldn't even say exactly what type of game 'Truth Seeker' is.

I didn't feel the connection between the characters. Some were there, like Cristal and Kerim. I believed they were decent friends after the time we saw them together. The book pushed for me to believe that they were a lot more than that, though, and I just never felt it.
The same was true for many other characters. I think the book suffered for having so many characters in it. Not only that, but much of the time we're seeing things from Cristal's point of view, and she doesn't understand other languages, which the characters kept talking in.
This left me at points trying to remember who some characters were because we only see them briefly and they didn't do much.

At times I didn't understand the motivations or reactions of the characters, either. I didn't see a reason for Harry to keep information to himself the way he did, and it wasn't surprising when that backfired. Kerim and Gabriel first meeting each other was confusing because they were fighting, for some reason, and then weren't, for some reason.
At the end there was a lot of exposition by two of the characters, so it was a lot more telling.

One of the things that took me out of the story was how Cristal couldn't learn Spanish. Not because she had trouble with the language, but because she and her teacher decided it was hopeless for her to ever learn Spanish after she took classes for two months and had three lessons with the teacher.
People who are fully immersed in a language usually give yes-no like responses and are generally silent for the first three months, and people who have less exposure will take even longer to learn. Even if Cristal had unrealistic expectations for herself, her teacher should have known better.

When the author showed us stuff, on the other hand, it worked so much better. Also at the end of the story, Cristal is trying to deal with beams of light energy coming from her, and yelling that if Harry really wanted to help her he'd help her deal with all the light beams. It was a good visual, and it was funny and showed her personality.

Like I said before, with the scenes she had with Kerim I believed they got along. They had some decent scenes together for me to believe that Cristal would trust him more than Harry. I never felt like it built up to as much as the book was pushing, though.

I think the story is original and the ideas for it were good, but it didn't carry through in the execution. These same ideas could work great if the story was polished up. I tried to get into the book but had a really hard time connecting with the characters. ( )
  Eisah | Mar 31, 2014 |
Rate: 4.5 stars
This is the first book of the Among Us Trilogy series by Anne-Rae Vasquez. It revolves around the lives of unique individuals that are banded together to discover the truth behind their missing loved ones; little do they know they will discover much more than what they anticipated. Harry Doubt created an online game known as Truth Seeker, as a way to gather these people, particularly those with exceptional abilities and skills. Their quest for truth will lead them in the midst of “the end of the world” and it is up to them how they are going to stop it or if they have what it takes to impede these catastrophic events.

What I like with this book is the fast-paced action and suspense in every page, which keeps me on edge and glued to my seat at the same time. Being a supernatural / paranormal fan, I loved how detailed the author depicts every scene, making it so realistic and plausible, to the point wherein we question ourselves about the reality of the world we’re living in. The story was complex enough to keep you guessing without being exaggerated. The only reason I didn’t give it a 5-star is that some of the characters are not transitioned into the story properly, making it difficult to remember who’s who and their relevance in the story, which I hope to be cleared out in the next part of the series. Overall, this is definitely a good read and I honestly can’t wait for the next book in this trilogy.

I highly recommend this to everyone who loves science fiction and dystopian genre with an added supernatural twist.
  gnicolas | Mar 5, 2014 |

"Doubt" mashes fringe science, corporate espionage and paranormal encounters to catapult you into an out-of-this-world experience.

At 21 years old, Harry and Cristal are fresh out of university with their PhD's. Labeled all their lives as being 'weird' and 'geeky', they find true friendships with other outcasts by playing online virtual reality games.

Harry Doubt, a genius programmer and creator of the popular online game 'Truth Seekers', has a personal mission of his own; to find his mother who went mysteriously missing while volunteering on a peacekeeping mission in Palestine. His gaming friends and followers inadvertently join in helping him find her; believing that they are on missions to find out what has happened to their own missing loved ones. During Harry's missions, Cristal and the team of 'Truth Seekers' stumble upon things that make them doubt the reality of their own lives. As they get closer to the truth, they realize that there are spiritual forces among them both good and evil, but in learning this, they activate a chain of events that start the beginning of the 'end of the world' as they know it.

---

Doubt is Book 1 of the Among Us Trilogy. Among Us is a book series which delves into the world of the supernatural and how it intersects with the everyday lives of seemingly ordinary young people as catastrophic events on earth lead to the end of times. Among Us weaves the theme of a young man and woman, who while not fully understanding their 'abilities', are drawn together in their desire to find out the truth about the world they live in which is similar to themes used in J.J. Abrams' TV shows Fringe and Lost.

--> What readers had to say...

As a big fan of the show Fringe, this book appealed to me tremendously. The writing was well done, and the way the "supernatural" forces were introduced was great. - Melissa Greenberg, Amazon reviewA good, clean read for any age. It was an excellent story that I'm sure both adult and teen urban fantasy fans will enjoy.  - Inkspand ReviewYou don't have to be a gamer or know one to identify with the characters. They're very well developed and definitely feel like people. I would definitely recommend it to a friend and I'm really looking forward to the second book. - Inkspand Review ...the novel is written in such a languid style, it moves on effortlessly and absorbs the reader into the story completely. Although the story itself revolves around the online gaming industry, one does not have to have an in depth knowledge as it is ably explained and discussed within the plot line. - Steven J. Smith, Inkspand ReviewOMGosh! I just finished reading "Doubt" INCREDIBLE! I couldn't put it down. - GoodReads member review
----> Depth and Substance mashed up with Fringe Science. Will entertain young and old alike.

This book is intended for mature young adults and new adults. Ages 16 to 45 and up.

--->  Inspired by real Truth Seekers Aaron Swartz and Harry Fear

Scroll up and click the Add to Cart button to get your copy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:27 -0400)

paranormal - romance - mystery - thriller - apocalypse Cristal Hernandez started playing the online game, Truth Seekers when she was fifteen. In her real life outside the game, she didn't fit in with anything or anybody. Classmates called her "the loner" or "weirdo," taunting her in the playground because she was always nose deep in a book. Her father went missing on her tenth birthday which haunted her every day since his disappearance. Things are never really what they appear to be. Strange things start to happen to her and her friends. She witnesses unexplainable events and is accused of causing them even from people closest to her. Evil is lurking everywhere and disguised as many things. But that's not all she has to fear. Never trust anyone, her father always told her. Especially your closest allies. Do you love shows like J.J. Abrams' Fringe and read books like Cassandra Clare's City of Bones? "Doubt" is a fast paced story where Harry Doubt online gamer and creator of the Truth Seekers game takes his game offline to search for who or what is behind the disappearances of his mother and his friends' loved ones, uncovering supernatural forces living among them. Doubt, book 1 of the Among Us Trilogy. Among Us, delves into the world of the supernatural and how it intersects with the everyday lives of seemingly ordinary young people as catastrophic events on earth lead to the end of times. Among Us weaves the theme of a young man and woman, who while not fully understanding their 'abilities', are drawn together in their desire to find out the truth about the world they live in which is similar to themes used in J.J. Abrams' TV shows Fringe and Lost. What readers had to say... As a big fan of the show Fringe, this book appealed to me tremendously. The writing was well done, and the way the "supernatural" forces were introduced was great. A good, clean read for any age. It was an excellent story that I'm sure both adult and teen urban fantasy fans will enjoy. You don't have to be a gamer or know one to identify with the characters. They're very well developed and definitely feel like people. I would definitely recommend it to a friend and I'm really looking forward to the second book. ...the novel is written in such a languid style, it moves on effortlessly and absorbs the reader into the story completely. Although the story itself revolves around the online gaming industry, one does not have to have an in depth knowledge as it is ably explained and discussed within the plot line. OMGosh! I just finished reading "Doubt" INCREDIBLE! I couldn't put it down. ˃%x;˃%x;˃%x; Depth and Substance mashed up with Fringe Science. Will entertain young and old alike. This book is intended for mature young adults and new adults. Ages 16 to 45 + ˃%x;˃%x;˃%x; Inspired by real Truth Seekers Aaron Swartz and Harry Fear The main character Harry Doubt was inspired by Aaron Swartz, internet prodigy and activist, co-founder of the Creative Commons and Reddit, and Harry Fear, journalist, documentary filmmaker and activist whose coverage of the conflict in the Middle East was seen on UStream by millions of viewers. Scroll up and click the Buy Now button to get started.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Anne-Rae Vasquez's book Doubt - Among Us Trilogy, book 1 was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,843,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible