Amid the Shadows by Michael C. Grumley

Amid the Shadows

by Michael C. Grumley

A six-year-old who sees people's souls is chased by "bad men" after they murder her mother. Churches are blown up across the country. A teen hacker plans the release of a virus so powerful it will bring China to its knees and cause the release of nuclear warheads from the United States and Russia. Police are kidnapped and murdered. Someone plots the demise of the planet through nuclear warfare - but only on the Northern Hemisphere. Through it all, faith in God will pull you through.

Yes, ALL of these play out on the pages of this book. Though filled with too many details about things not relevant to the plot, the book shows some promise and managed to keep my interest for a little while. It was frustrating that the author left Grumley so many unanswered questions. Some of my questions for him are: If Zahn was Ryan's guardian, why did he act so menacing towards him and his father? Who was bleeding in the hallway when Sarah's mother was killed? Will the detectives ever be found? Why did Rand have a black shadow? Why did it consume Zahn? How did Sarah know about Zahn's history and how God felt about him? I have many more, but these are a start.

Normally I don't review self-published books, as too many authors don't use the basics of spell check, and have bad writing skills. However this book had some promise. I suggest that Grumley get a good editor who can help him whittle through his ideas and help him decide on a main theme. This will allow him to focus on fleshing out specific ideas so he doesn't get caught up in too many plot twists that cause the main storyline to get lost. Ultimately readers will not be left scratching their heads wondering what just happened.

Not recommended due to many unanswered questions.

Book review link: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2017/08/26/amid-the-shadows-michael-c-grumley/ ( )
  sunshinealma | Aug 26, 2017 |
Thoroughly enjoyful suspense thriller. Takes a bit to get going, but when it does the action and twists are great. I also enjoyed that it brings to light something, whether a strength, skill or something inside each of us that is special, but only a few others can see and appreciate. Hard to put down and I couldn't wait to find out how it would end. ( )
  Bricker | Jul 29, 2014 |

Michael C. Grumley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,401,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible