dismiss

Fuzzy Thinking: The New Science of Fuzzy Logic (1993)

by Bart Kosko

Fuzzy logic is the next wave in technology. Japanese electronics giants have, in the last ten years, already staked their commercial future on the benefits of fuzzy production; only recently have European and US companies begun to catch up. Fuzzy logic sanctifies vagueness. It prescribes a new way of thinking about machines, about science, ambiguity, confusion and contradiction.… (more)

Some decent ideas in this book, but they get overshadowed by the author's Promethean comparison of how his colleagues and he brought the fire of fuzzy logic to the temples of Aristotelean logic. there it was not welcome, but in Asian countries who follow The Buddha it was welcomed. Now America faces a great challenge that only the long-suffering author can set to rights.

Slow on dealing the knowledge, and long in the persecution. This is more memoir than edifying. ( )
  craigmaloney | Mar 21, 2020 |
Probably more or less ok. This book took me 20 years to get around to reading. It wasn't worth the wait but I'm still glad I read it. ( )
  graffiti.living | Oct 22, 2017 |
Interesting book, but as noted in one other review here review, not particularly well written. I found myself skimming the later chapters just to read the quotes Kosko included. Short summaries (dumping the math) could be "It depends" or "there is no black and white" or to use his own statement "everything is a matter of degree". I had this on my shelf and picked it up while reading Michael Shermer's "How We Believe" to follow up on a reference Shermer made. While not a fuzzy activist, I recognized while reading that long ago I adopted mostly fuzzy thinking, meaning all things are relative. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I tried for years to get into this book. Every time I picked it up and flipped through it absolutely nothing drew me in and prompted me to continue reading. Finally decided it didn't need to be taking up valuable space on my bookshelf. I have lots of books on Complex Adaptive Systems theory and Chaos theory and had mistakenly believed that this book would earn it's place. It hasn't. ( )
  NIMBLEPM | Oct 26, 2010 |
What I liked about this was the way Kosko's thinking blurs traditional boundaries - its as much a book of applied philosophy as anything. Certainly clarified for me where Western philosophy started to go wrong (with Aristotle and the excluded middle). Also interesting for comparison of western and eastern cultures - why is Fuzzy Logic so much more popular in the east and derided in the west?
  abraxalito | Aug 8, 2008 |
So far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain.  And so far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality. - Albert Einstein, Geometry and Experience
For the young men and women who stick with their training while their youth calls.  It's hard, it will get harder, but it turns the world
Hold an apple in your hand.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,921,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible