Evan Can Wait by Rhys Bowen

Evan Can Wait (2001)

by Rhys Bowen

This is a case of "it's not you, it's me." I'm not much of a cozy mystery reader and this book didn't convince me to change my reading ways. I found it repetitive as Evan(s) kept mulling over the latest developments and the various suspects, and the stakes weren't very high; I found no reason to care who killed the victim or why. The bits of Welsh were interesting, and the tone of village hijinks was amusing in places, but the mystery itself was lacking for me. On the plus side, that's one less series to worry about keeping current with. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Apr 6, 2017 |
I mentioned this author and her Constable Evans books as read-alikes for M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth books, but I had never actually read any of Bowen's Constable Evans books. I decided to fix this, and it was a good decision. I can now say from personal experience that the Constable Evans books are definitely good read-alike suggestions for those who liked the Hamish Macbeth books. In this particular book, Evan Evans has the annoying task of watching out for a bunch of people filming a documentary about the recovery of a WWII plane. The most insufferable of the documentary people is murdered, and Evan must figure out who did it. The case ends up being tied to a bit of local history about some paintings that had been hidden in the slate mines during WWII.

(Originally posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Sep 24, 2013 |
Do I remember anything of those days?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425182762, Mass Market Paperback)

The descent by a group of egocentric, flamboyant filmmakers on a small town has been the setup for a number of novels and a few movies. Rhys Bowen takes her crack at it with a tidy little story about a group of documentarians who invade a small village in Wales to capture the raising of a sunken German bomber on film. Llanfair is surrounded by abandoned mineshafts, and when the bombastic producer Grantley Smith is found murdered in one of them, Constable Evan Evans, Bowen's series hero, stumbles down more than a few dead ends before he uncovers the motive. Finding evidence of a stash of paintings from the National Gallery that were hidden at the scene of the murder, Evan uncovers a decades-old plot involving art forgery that doesn't really have much to do with the murder except coincidence. It does, however, keep the narrative moving, as does a love affair between the constable and the schoolteacher, who turns out to have been married to one of the filmmakers. All's well that ends well--except, probably, for the unfortunate title punning to which Bowen (Evan Help Us, Evanly Choirs, and so forth) seems addicted. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:00 -0400)

When filmmakers arrive in the Welsh village of Llanfair to try to raise a WWII German bomber sunk in a lake, Constable Evan Evans keeps order and tries to help out. But after the producer is found murdered in a mineshaft. and Evans discovers evidence of an old plot to hide stolen art Evans is called upon to solve the mystery.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,831,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible