The assassin's blade by Sarah J. Maas

The assassin's blade (edition 2014)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:aclaybasket13
Title:The assassin's blade
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:London : Bloomsbury, 2014.
Tags:fantasy, currently-reading, young-adult

The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas

Okay, so I kind of want to reread Throne of Glass now. Again. Liked these novellas more than I thought I would. ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |
We follow the origin story of Celeana Sardothien and her life before Endovier, before the King's Championship and before she lost her way.

OMG this was intense! This was perfect to read after Heir of Fire (which I didn't enjoy as much as the first 2 books) and really brought to light MANY of the questions that crept up during the first three books. I LOVED IT! The journey was intense and getting to know Celeana before Throne of Glass was such a fun time. We also meet some interesting characters that I hope to see again in the later books and I am so looking forward to continuing on with book #4! ( )
  christianeyoungberg | Aug 30, 2018 |
“My name is Celaena Sardothien,” she whispered, “and I will not be afraid.quote>

At the same time I can’t believe it took me this long to read this book, I’m almost glad that it has. I’ve currently read up to [b:Empire of Storms|28260587|Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)|Sarah J. Maas|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1463107108s/28260587.jpg|25272004] and am rereading the series before I read [b:Tower of Dawn|31450852|Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)|Sarah J. Maas|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1497973101s/31450852.jpg|51681900]. This book LITERALLY added so much to the series that I didn’t even know I needed to know and have in my life. Because I waited to read this until I had (mostly) caught up with the series, I was able to kind of know what was going to happen with some of the characters that were in the stories.

It was very interesting getting to see Celaena before she was Aelin, because at the same time they are the same person, they also feel like totally different people. This book really just showed how much Aelin has been through throughout the entire series and how far she actually has come.

One of the things that used to always bug me in the later Throne of Glass books was the fact that Aelin had such a hard time accepting who she was and even allowing herself to become emotionally attached to things, but this added a whole new glimpse into who she is as a person and I COMPLETELY understand her hesitance after all she has been through, both body and mind.

ALSO SAM?

ONE BOOK IS NOT ENOUGH WITH HIM. ONE BOOK WILL NEVER BE ENOUGH.

#I’m secretly hoping maybe he isn’t actually dead and will come back in ToG7 but we’ll see.

A few of my thoughts of the individual stories (from favorite to least favorite):

At five out of five stars, The Assassin and the Pirate Lord had to be one of my favorites. I loved how we got to see Rolfe’s character a little bit more and what went into the huge slave deal that was mentioned in EoS. Also – SAM. I didn’t know that their relationship had been a hate to love relationship and let’s just say I LOVED IT!

Next, The Assassin and the Underworld (which also got a 5/5) was TOTALLY amazing because we got to see a little bit into Celaena’s assassin life and of course, SAM!!! That moment when he *finally* confessed his love for her was just all

*and don't you even accuse me of "spoilers" because it is a well known fact him and C were a thing....*

The Assassin and the Dessert pulled at my heartstrings because for once it was interesting seeing Celaena having to be humble and not the best. Despite what she did, I thought Ansel was a very funny and interesting character that I look forward to seeing more of.

I could barely get through The Assassin and the Empire because I just didn’t want Sam to die, but I managed to skim it lightly. Perhaps one day when I am ready to have a good cry I will allow myself to read the whole thing, but for now I just couldn’t get through it. SO SO SAD.

The Assassin and the Healer, though I ended up giving it only 4/5 stars I found to be a very sweet and tender moment between Celaena and Yrene. I’m also super excited to see where Yrene’s character goes because I know she is in Tower of Dawn and (I think) she might end up with Chaol.

Overall, this book ruined me and reignited my love for the Throne of Glass world! ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
Assassin's Blade
4 Stars

Series Note: This is a collection of 5 prequel novellas. While each story is standalone, it is recommended that they be read in order for the character development.

Sarah J. Maas's world building is intriguing and reading these novellas has made me even more interested in learning about Erilea and its history, particularly as it pertains to the heroine's backstory.

Celaena is an amalgamation of opposites. On the one hand, she is arrogant, insolent and self-absorbed, but on the other, she is loyal (perhaps to a fault) and obviously cares about those who are weak and helpless. With regard to her skills as an assassin, if the author had not described her as such, it would be very difficult to believe due to her tendency not only toward recklessness and impulsivity, but also her inability to follow orders, which are inconsistent with this characterization.

Despite her faults, Celaena is a compelling heroine and one cannot help rooting for her even though her prickly personality leaves much to be desired.

The secondary characters are well-fleshed out (an excellent sign as this is rare in a novella), and the hints at manipulative villains and secret agendas only whet the appetite for more.

In sum, this collection of short stories is a satisfying introduction to the Throne of Glass series and I look forward to reading more of Celaena's adventures. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I'm so glad that Queen of Shadows came out to give me a reason to re-read one of my ultimate favorite series. If you didn't see my initial post before this review, I'm taking the time to binge on the Throne of Glass series starting with obviously this string of novellas that introduce the amazing and bad ass Celaena Sardothien and the story that continues throughout the novels themselves.

After initially reading this series, I fell in love with the... (more via website) ( )
  VesperDreams | May 20, 2018 |
This one's for the phenomenal worldwide team at Bloomsbury: thank you for making my dreams come true

and for my cunning and brilliant editor, Margaret: thank you for believing in Celaena from page one
Seated in the council room of the Assassin's Keep, Celaena Sardothien leaned back in her chair.
A collection of all Novellas pertaining to the event that occurred before the beginning of The Throne of Glass book/series.

These novellas serve as prequels to the Throne of Glass series.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,763,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible