Fifteen by Beverly Cleary

Fifteen (1956)

by Beverly Cleary

Series: First Love (book 1)

It seems too good to be true. The most popular boy in school has asked Jane out -- and she's never even dated before. Stan is tall and good-looking, friendly and hard-working -- everything Jane ever dreamed of. But is she ready for this? Suppose her parents won't let her go? What if she's nervous and makes a fool of herself? Maybe he'll think she's too young. If only she knew all the clever things to say. If only she were prettier. If only she were ready for this... With her usual warmth, perceptiveness, and humor, Beverly Cleary creates the joys and worries of a young girl's first crush.… (more)

Loved this book and only wish I would have known about it and read it sooner! The writing style is true to the time period written (in the 1950's) so it's got that good ol' fashioned "fellow" "going steady" "Model-A writing flair to it.

well worth a read :)
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
(6/10) A sweet story of first love and all the awkwardness of being a teenager. It was a lovely little read and brought back lots of memories of my own teenage years. The flower incident made me chuckle and I remembered I had a similar epiphany when I was about 16. I can see why this was a favourite of my mum's when she was younger. ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | Mar 8, 2017 |
This is a cute read about first love. However, since it was first written in the 1950s, I found it very dated and I thought Jane was extremely young and immature compared to a modern fifteen-year-old, making this book more suitable for primary school girls rather than actual teenagers. ( )
1 vote HeatherLINC | Nov 13, 2016 |
Clearly Beverly Cleary 2012, Book 1. ( )
  FlanneryAC | Mar 31, 2013 |
Beverly Cleary’s Fifteen, published in 1956, tells the story of a few months in the life of fifteen-year-old Jane Purdy. Jane considers herself an ordinary girl – she spends most of her free time babysitting, her parents are embarrassing, and she wants nothing more than a cute boyfriend with a car. Things start to look up when she meets Stan Crandall, the new boy in town, and he invites her to the movies. Jane really likes him, and thinks he likes her, but not everything goes as planned. He spends too much time talking to cool girl Marcy, their date to Chinatown involves eating bizarre foods, and he doesn’t invite her to the first school dance. Will things ever go Jane’s way?

Fifteen is a fun and pleasant read, but doesn’t offer much in the way of substance. Jane does learn to be herself and not worry what others think about her, but most of the book is concerned with whether or not Stan will call her after one seemingly embarrassing event or another. Still, Jane’s affability and naivete are endearing and the other characters, however briefly mentioned, are fun as well. Many of Jane’s concerns – embarrassing parents, what to wear, will he call? – still apply to today’s teens, even if they’re not worried about their mother not wearing stockings, wearing the same suit twice, and tying up the party phone line. I definitely found this more accessible than Seventeenth Summer, which has a similar storyline, but that probably has more to do with Cleary’s writing style than cultural differences due to time period. I could see tweens enjoying this, especially for those who are graduating from Cleary’s younger books. ( )
1 vote wsquared | Sep 10, 2010 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fernie, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,635,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible