The Pearl That Broke Its Shell by Nadia…

The Pearl That Broke Its Shell

by Nadia Hashimi

I finished this book sometime ago but have been struggling with how to write my review. I wasn’t happy with the ending (I wanted to know more about what happened next I think?), but I also think it ended precisely where it should have. An incredibly well written book and an important story for everyone to read about how women in parts of the world are still treated. The audio was beautifully made. But, alas, the ending left me flat. Maybe another reason it left me flat: I’ve no doubt, but I’m so saddened, about how women can hurt one another so badly. I’ve had a few in my life and it’s a devastating truth that rather than giving support in what are already trying times, some women can only make things worse for other women. This book emphasized this sad truth. ( )
  KarenMonsen | May 12, 2019 |
Hashima tells her story, her aunt tells her BeBe Shakeeba's story, 100 years apart. ( )
  sherribrari | Apr 3, 2019 |
The book is a well written story about the lives of two Afghani women, one in modern times and the other in the early 1900s. The plight of women in that country is horrifying in both time periods. It's sad and discouraging to see that things have not changed and that women are regarded more or less as property that their fathers or husbands can treat as poorly as they wish. Because of that the book was very hard for me to read, and I have to admit to not finishing it. I was 3/4 of the way through with no hope in sight for the women, and I just didn't want to feel that oppression any longer. The book probably deserves 4 stars, but since I couldn't finish it I though 3 was more fair. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
Novel about Afghanistan from rural villages to Kabul. We follow Rahima who grows up as a boy but winds up a wife of a violent warlord. We also follow Shekiba from a century earlier who is tossed from family to family and winds up first as a harem guard and then as a wife and mother. Through these women we learn how life was and is for women in Afghanistan. ( )
  Smits | Nov 14, 2018 |
" Two stories of Rahima, a modern Afghan girl, and her great-great-grandmother Shekiba, who both become bacha posh in order to gain the social freedoms enjoyed by boys."
  LeonaL | Sep 26, 2018 |
Seawater begs the pearl
To break its shell
- from the ecstatic poem "Some Kiss We Want," by Jalal Ad-Din Mohammad Rumi, thirteenth-century Persian poet
To my precious daughter, Zayla. To our precious daughters.
Shahla stood by our front door, the bright green metal rusting on the edges.

Afghan-American Nadia Hashimi's literary debut novel is a searing tale of powerlessness, fate, and the freedom to control one's own fate that combines the cultural flavor and emotional resonance of the works of Khaled Hosseini, Jhumpa Lahiri, and Lisa See.

In Kabul, 2007, with a drug-addicted father and no brothers, Rahima and her sisters can only sporadically attend school, and can rarely leave the house. Their only hope lies in the ancient custom of bacha posh, which allows young Rahima to dress and be treated as a boy until she is of marriageable age. As a son, she can attend school, go to the market, and chaperone her older sisters.

But Rahima is not the first in her family to adopt this unusual custom. A century earlier, her great-aunt, Shekiba, left orphaned by an epidemic, saved herself and built a new life the same way.

Crisscrossing in time, The Pearl the Broke Its Shell interweaves the tales of these two women separated by a century who share similar destinies. But what will happen once Rahima is of marriageable age? Will Shekiba always live as a man? And if Rahima cannot adapt to life as a bride, how will she survive?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:46 -0400)

In Kabul, 2007, with a drug-addicted father and no brothers, Rahima and her sisters can only sporadically attend school and rarely leave the house. Their only hope lies in the ancient custom of bacha posh, which allows young Rahima to dress and be treated as a boy until she is of marriageable age.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,811,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible