ABC Book (Books of Wonder) by C. B. Falls

ABC Book (Books of Wonder)

by C. B. Falls

382419,554 (5)None

Preschool
  SteppLibrary | Mar 21, 2017 |
ABC Book by CB Falls was published in 1923. It is twenty-six woodcut prints. Unlike modern day ABC books that often have a story with the illustrations, or a central theme, there isn't one here. I suppose these are just words the author / illustrator thought children of the 1920s should know.

The illustrations cover the mundane to the exotic. There is a yak, a jaguar, and a unicorn as well as more common things like a turkey, a horse, and a bear. My all time favorite, though, is C is for cat, featuring a gorgeously rendered calico before a bowl of milk. She has similar spots to my own calico.

The artist behind this gorgeous book is Charles Buckles Falls (1874-1960). According to the National Heritage Museum site Falls worked in all sorts of media and industries including posters, book binding, advertising, and furniture.

The book I read was a gorgeous first edition that belongs to the K-12 collection at Holy Names University. It was one of the hundreds of books I cataloged for my fall internship. ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 9, 2013 |

ABC Book takes children through their first lessons in letters with animals as familiar as a mouse... as fantastic as a unicorn... and as peculiar as a xiphius. C. B. Falls's beautiful woodcuts -- one for each letter of the alphabet -- bring every animal and letter to vivid life and are certain to capture the attention of a budding imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

Presents an animal for each letter of the alphabet, from antelope and bear to yak and zebra.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,133,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible