H.M.S. Surprise (1973)

by Patrick O'Brian

Series: Aubrey-Maturin (3)

3,566522,517 (4.3)1 / 81
Set among the strange sights and smells of the Indian subcontintent and the waters nearby, Aubrey is on the defensive, pitting wits and seamanship against an enemy enjoying overwhelming local superiority. But somewhere in the Indian Ocean lies the prize that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams: the ships sent by Napoleon to attack the China Fleet.… (more)
Recently added byMendoLibrary, gilgalad, private library, frithie, jcoyte, Steve_Walker

English (47)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (52)
The first book in the Aubrey Maturin series, Master and Commander, was intriguing but I often got tangled in nautical terminology. At the time I didn't know the difference between a mizzen mast and foremast. It took some time between but I admired the book enough to get the second entry, Post Captain. By then my shipman's vocabulary had improved and the series protagonists were familiar acquaintences. H.M.S. Surprise, this third in Patrick O'Brian's famed series, however, is the one I fell in love with. The characters are dear to me, the prose is now full and often gorgeous because of its specificity, and the stories are so engaging I just don't want them to end. Fortunately, I have 17 more volumes. ( )
  Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |
  Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |
Now we're cooking. This is the book where the action really gets started. Super good action, great politics, so much heartbreak (DAMMIT DIANA.) Such good stuff. Can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  nushustu | Aug 5, 2019 |
This book is outstanding. Handles the different voices well, puts you in the water with Jack, and immerses you in the period. Themes well-handled, though the women all seem a bit silly.
Shira
James-MEOW Date: Saturday, July 7. 12014 H.E. (Holocene Era) ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Shira
James-MEOW Date: Saturday, July 7. 12014 H.E. (Holocene Era) ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |

Wannenmacher, JuttaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiberg, CarlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
MARIAE LEMBI NOSTRI DUCI ET MAGISTRAE DO DEDICO

[ = I present and dedicate [this book] to Mary, the commander and mistress of our yacht]
'But I put it to you, my lord, that prize-money is of essential importance to the Navy.'

Chapter one.
The trouble with writing about Patrick O'Brian's books is that they are so engrossing.

Arms and the man, by Charlton Heston.
'Jack, you have debauched my sloth.'
"[Dr. Maturin] speaks languages like a walking Tower of Babel, all except ours. Dear Lord,' he said, laughing heartily, 'to this day I don't believe he knows the odds between port and starboard....' p. 40
... [M]ost of the frigate's people felt both past and future blur, dwindling almost into insignificance: an impression all the stronger since the Surprise was once more in a lonely sea, two thousand miles of dark blue water with never an island to break its perfect round: not the faintest smell of land even on the strongest breeze -- the ship was a world self-contained, swimming between two perpetually renewed horizons. Stronger still, because in these waters there was no eager impatience to see over the eastward rim: they sailed with no relation to an enemy, nor to any potential prize. The Dutch were bottled up; the French had disappeared; the Portuguese were friends. [223]

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393307611, 0393037037

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,637,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible