Poems by Virgil

Poems (1916)

by Virgil

The Eclogues, The Georgics, The Aeneid
  Coffeemachtspass | Jun 6, 2016 |
"When young any composition pleases which unites a little sense, some imagination, and some rhythm, in doses however small. But as we advance in life these things fall off one by one, and I suspect we are left at last with only Homer and Virgil, perhaps Homer alone." - Thomas Jefferson, Thoughts on English Prosody

"[So much] has my relish for poetry deserted me that at present I cannot read Virgil with pleasure." - Thomas Jefferson to John Daly Burk, 21 Jun. 1801 [PTJ 34:400-401]

"and what finer specimens could [the teacher of Latin and Greek] produce & comment on ... in Belles lettres than Homer, Anacreon, Theocritus, Virgil, Horace, Terence & the Greek tragedians, all of them school books?" - Thomas Jefferson to Jason Chamberlain, 1 Jul. 1814 [PTJ:RS 28:447-448]

"I would advise you to undertake a regular course of history & poetry in both languages ... in Latin read Livy, Caesar, Sallust Tacitus, Cicero’s Philosophies, and some of his Orations, in prose; and Virgil, Ovid’s Metamorphoses, Horace, Terence & Juvenal for poetry." - Thomas Jefferson to Francis Eppes, 6 Oct. 1820
  ThomasJefferson | Jul 9, 2014 |

"[so much] has my relish for poetry deserted me that at present I cannot read Virgil with pleasure." - Thomas Jefferson to John Daly Burk, 21 Jun. 1801 [PTJ 34:400-401]
  ThomasJefferson | Jun 5, 2014 |
Contains Bucolicks, Georgicks, Aeneis ( )
  sharonandjerry | Nov 23, 2005 |
MELIBOEUS: You, Tityrus, 'neath a broad beech-canopy / Reclining, on the slender oat rehearse / Your silvan ditties: I from my sweet fields, / And home's familiar bounds, even now depart.
This work is a compilation of the Eclogues, the Georgics, and the Aenied of Virgil.
The Britannica Great Books 12 or 13 are also a compilation of these three, although they may be titled differently by users. Please don't separate the Britannica Great Books of the Western World from this work.

Classic presentation of Loeb library with Latin to left and facing page translation of Virgil's Aeneid, etc.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,770,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible