dismiss

Poems by Virgil

Poems

by Virgil

Excerpt from OEuvres de Virgile: d104e Latin; Publi es Avec une Introduction Biographique Et Litt raire, des Notes Critiques Et Explicatives, des Gravures, des Cartes Et un Index S manuscrits de Berne: ile n' tait pas n pour leloquence du Forum; il le savait, on.s'en aper ut-d s le d but, car il ne plaida qu'une fois Il avait la parole difficile et. Donnait une impression d'insuffisance in sermone tardissimum ac pacue similem faisse'. Il ne s'agit pas, Sainte - Beuve l'a'tres bien vu (et. Sur Virgile, p. D'une difficult de prononciation; il avait, au contraire, une voix charmante et disait les vers avec beaucoup de S duction; mais il tait incapable d'improviser; ni par la nature de son esprit, par son caract re et ses go ts, ni par son temp rament et son aspect physique, il n' tait fait pour parler et pour briller en public. Il tait grand, brun; il avait une physionomie rus elq gaucherie et' timidit , une sant fragile; il. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.… (more)

The Eclogues, The Georgics, The Aeneid
  Coffeemachtspass | Jun 6, 2016 |
"When young any composition pleases which unites a little sense, some imagination, and some rhythm, in doses however small. But as we advance in life these things fall off one by one, and I suspect we are left at last with only Homer and Virgil, perhaps Homer alone." - Thomas Jefferson, Thoughts on English Prosody

"[So much] has my relish for poetry deserted me that at present I cannot read Virgil with pleasure." - Thomas Jefferson to John Daly Burk, 21 Jun. 1801 [PTJ 34:400-401]

"and what finer specimens could [the teacher of Latin and Greek] produce & comment on ... in Belles lettres than Homer, Anacreon, Theocritus, Virgil, Horace, Terence & the Greek tragedians, all of them school books?" - Thomas Jefferson to Jason Chamberlain, 1 Jul. 1814 [PTJ:RS 28:447-448]

"I would advise you to undertake a regular course of history & poetry in both languages ... in Latin read Livy, Caesar, Sallust Tacitus, Cicero’s Philosophies, and some of his Orations, in prose; and Virgil, Ovid’s Metamorphoses, Horace, Terence & Juvenal for poetry." - Thomas Jefferson to Francis Eppes, 6 Oct. 1820
  ThomasJefferson | Jul 9, 2014 |

"[so much] has my relish for poetry deserted me that at present I cannot read Virgil with pleasure." - Thomas Jefferson to John Daly Burk, 21 Jun. 1801 [PTJ 34:400-401]
  ThomasJefferson | Jun 5, 2014 |
Contains Bucolicks, Georgicks, Aeneis ( )
  sharonandjerry | Nov 23, 2005 |
MELIBOEUS: You, Tityrus, 'neath a broad beech-canopy / Reclining, on the slender oat rehearse / Your silvan ditties: I from my sweet fields, / And home's familiar bounds, even now depart.
This work is a compilation of the Eclogues, the Georgics, and the Aenied of Virgil.
The Britannica Great Books 12 or 13 are also a compilation of these three, although they may be titled differently by users. Please don't separate the Britannica Great Books of the Western World from this work.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,529,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible