Frost at Christmas by R. D. Wingfield

Frost at Christmas (1984)

by R. D. Wingfield

This Night's Foul Work by Fred Vargas (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books are police procedurals with a quirky detective that injects humour into a serious murder mystery.

Frost at Christmas - R D Wingfield *****

Like most people who grew up in the 90’s I remember watching David Jason transform himself from the loveable rogue Delboy into a middle aged grumpy old detective, and like many millions of those people I loved the character and followed him over the next decade or so. There were 42 episodes made , although surprisingly only 6 novels were written. The premier TV episode was fittingly based upon the first published novel ‘Frost at Christmas’ and remained fairly true to the storyline.

We follow Frost, a very different sort of detective than you would normally find in these types of books. He is slovenly, crude, sexist and sloppy in both his professional and private life, he doesn’t really care what people think of him and he appears to be loved and loathed by his superiors and colleagues with almost equal measure. Frost is the man to put on the case when you have no one else available and when the leading investigator is taken ill during a major operation searching for an abducted child the file is begrudgingly placed in his lap. Seemingly bumbling along (almost like a British Columbo) he pieces together various bits of evidence and follows his nose, I suppose you could say he is an old fashioned type of copper that acts more on instinct than facts.

I loved this book, at times it was funny at others very sad, but always with a true to life feel that made you a part of his world. I quite like the flawed hero that isn’t some sort of superman but has as many good points as bad in his character. I have read that Wingfield planned to kill off Frost at the end of the first book and it was to have been published as a stand alone novel. I think the whole world should be grateful that he had a change of heart. I can’t wait to pick up the next one. ( )
  Bridgey | Jul 5, 2017 |
Laugh out loud funny but not for the PC brigade! ( )
  mlfhlibrarian | Nov 14, 2014 |
I can't decide if Detective Inspector Jack Frost is a misunderstood genius or if he's just incredibly lucky. While he exhibits traits of someone who clearly knows what he's doing; he mostly seems like a bumbling jerk who happens to fall into the right answers.

By saying that, I certainly don't mean for it to seem like I was irritated. Look at Dr. House on... House. He berates his patients as well as his colleges and is certainly without tact - but he always gets the job done. Frost shows many of those traits I love in House but adds a more cheery, less-depressing attitude that made this book really fun to read.

The mystery was a little less than stellar but Wingfield rarely focused on one thing at a time, keeping things lively and moving along at a swift pace. Frost's dry humor and his relationship with fellow officer, Clive Barnard, held my interest throughout. Barnard was the perfect accompaniment along the way; voluntarily putting up with whatever Frost threw his way. I'm hoping he sticks around in the future books.

I'm pleased to admit that I genuinely laughed out loud on more than a few occasions, which was a little unexpected. In reading a few reviews on here, the comedy is something that isn't really given its due. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Although I wasn't sure at first that I could stand the crude vulgarity of Inspector Jack Frost, this mystery has a very good plot, starting right away with a surprising grabber. Wingfield manages to take several seemingly unrelated threads and twist them into an intricate knot in the end and I, along with DC Clive Barnard, came to find that I liked Frost more than I had originally thought possible. I will be reading more of this series. ( )
  leslie.98 | Dec 10, 2013 |
The first book about Frost, giving roughly the contents of the first film of the tv-series. The storylines differ a bit from those in the film. And the character Frost certainly differs. Anyway, those who love the tv-series should also read the book. The book is always better than the film, as we all know. I gave it four stars, maybe because the plot did not contain many surprises after having seen the tv film. I enjoyed reading this book nevertheless, and more Frost books will certainly appear on my lists. ( )
  ReneH | Sep 26, 2013 |
The 999 call came through just before midnight.

Inspector Frost really does have a reason to be gloomy this Christmas. ( Ten days to Christmas and Tracey Uphill, aged eight, hasn't come home from Sunday school. Her mother, a pretty young prostitute, is desperate.) Frost's new partner is the boss' nephew. Could anything be worse? Well, how about a dubious psychic with some very valid information about a case that was never solved.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553571680, Mass Market Paperback)

The irascible Detective Inspector Jack Frost spends the holiday season searching for a missing child with the help of a dubious psychic and a bumbling new partner.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:28 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,616,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible