Georgette Heyer's Regency World by Jennifer…

Georgette Heyer's Regency World (2005)

by Jennifer Kloester

Un saggio delizioso su usi e costumi dell'Inghilterra di fine 700/inizio '800 basato su romanzi di Georgette Heyer.

La spiegazione di usi e costumi del mondo di una grande autrice di romanzi storici a torto considerata solo "un'autrice di romanzi rosa"
  annarellix | Jan 31, 2018 |
A really handy reference to explain all those terms understood in the 1800's but having evolved in recent times to perhaps have a different connotation. Indispensable if you are new to Georgette Heyer's world. Not an entirely complete catalogue of terms. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 20, 2017 |
An excellent reference if you are new to Heyer's books and a must have for anyone considering writing about this period. ( )
  Pat_Gibson | May 28, 2017 |
If you enjoy Regency-era romances, you will learn many interesting details from this book. Although I love fiction, it's nice to know about some of facts of that era. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
This is the history of the Regency period as seen through Heyer's books, but the nice thing is that you needn't have read all (or any) of her novels to grasp what's going on in the references. I've only read one Heyer book but that wasn't a problem.

An example:
40% in: "...In The Foundling, it was to Sydney Gardens that the Duke of Sale sent his young friend, Tom Mamble, to while away several hours enjoying all the famous attractions such as Merlin's Grotto, the Hermit's Cot, the 'Ruined Castle,' waterfalls, the echo reverberating from the distant cliffs of Beacon Hill and - most famous of all - the Labyrinth, touted in a Bath guidebook as being 'nearly twice as large as that in the gardens of Hampton Court.' For those who found their way to the centre of the hedge-lined maze (maps could be purchased showing the path), there was the added attraction of Merlin's Swing, a ride which apparently operated on 'Archimedian principles.'
That's the Sydney Gardens in Bath, by the way.

This was a book I found myself setting aside and picking back up again, so there were parts I was less interested in. While sometimes the history seemed more like a listing of facts, once and a while a subject would pop out and present information that was unique and interesting. Well, to me, anyway. For instance, I've read a little about the dances of the period, but this bit was new:
27% in "...When it was first introduced the quadrille proved difficult for many unwary dancers and so cards were produced with directions for the correct execution of the various figures and changes. Almack's provided dance cards for for those less expert dancers but, although a useful device, it was also an unwieldly one when used during the actual dance.
I had no idea they handed out cheat sheets for the dances! For some reason I'm delighted with the idea - and now of course I'm wondering if there's a book on the history of dances that might have photos of such cards. (In the meantime, this website has more on the period dances and will have to tide me over, along with whatever else I can find on the web.)

One problem with working the Heyer characters in with the historical ones is that it's not always entirely clear who's fictional and who's not. Especially if you're not familiar with the Heyer book that's cited. For instance:
63% in "...Some among the nobility, such as Sir Richard Wyndham in The Corinthian, were privileged enough to strip to the waist, don a pair of boxing gloves and engage in a sparring contest with 'Corinthian Jack,' and many famous Regency men, including Lord Byron, learned this art of self-defense at his Bond Street rooms. Charles Rivenhall in The Grand Sophy sparred there regularly and Jackson was wont to say that he could have made him a champion if he had not been an aristocrat."
Wyndham and Rivenhall are Heyer creations - Lord Byron and John Jackson were real people. While the books that contain each are noted, it makes things a slight bit confusing when Jackson, historical figure, is noted as admiring the boxing ability of Rivenhall, fictional creation.

Note to self: interesting, look up quotes later (I didn't know about the "apes in hell" bit):
83% in, in section of definitions "....an ape leader: a woman beyond marriageable age; so-called because of a proverb that says their failure to increase and multiply dooms them to lead apes in hell. Also used by Shakespeare in Much Ado About Nothing II.i.41 and The Taming of the Shrew II.i.34."

While the book does have a multiple page bibliography, there are no footnotes here, so no way to find out specifically where any of the information was found. So although I'd say this was great reading for those interested, it's a bit harder to say it'd be useful as a scholarly reference. ( )
  bookishbat | Sep 25, 2013 |

Jennifer Kloesterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pope, DawnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tavendale, GraemeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To J. Roy Hay
The true regency lasted only nine years.

Georgette Heyer fans will delight in Jennifer Kloester’s definitive guide to her Regency world: the people, the shops, clubs and towns they frequented, the parties and seasons they celebrated, how they ate, drank, dressed, socialized, voted, shopped and drove. A fun read for any Heyer fan.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:33 -0400)

Presents a guide to Regency society as depicted in the novels of the English author Georgette Heyer, covering such topics as social classes, fashion, London and country homes, shopping, food, drink, clubs, sports, and the Royal Family.

Sourcebooks

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,661,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible