Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories by Dr.…

Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories (edition 1958)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:goddesspt2
Title:Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House (1958), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 96 pages

Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss

Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Same theme, although Suess' work is far superior

I read this book to my little brother and to my children so many times that I have it memorized. It is my all-time favorite Dr. Seuss book. And bravo for the subtle themes of democracy and autonomy! ( )
  AngelaGustafson | Jan 25, 2016 |
Yertle the Turtle by Dr. Seuss is a classic story about a greedy turtle who rules the pond of Sala-ma-Sond. One day, Yertle decided that his land was too small and he wanted to see more. So, he made his throne taller by building his throne. Yertle commanded all the turtles in the pond to stack on top of each other. He wanted more turtles, until one day, Mack the turtle burped. The burp sent Yertle crashing down, making Yertle the King of the Mud and no longer the King od Sala-ma-Sond.
  dbenw001 | Nov 25, 2015 |
YERTLE THE TURTLE by Dr. Seuss tells the tale of a greedy king named Yertle. He reigns over all that he sees and one day he decides that what he sees is not enough. So he commands all of the other turtles to build a tall stack on which he can be at the top and look out over a greater distance. Though he is satisfied for a bit, he becomes greedy again and calls for more turtles added to the stack. Eventually, the turtles on the bottom become too tired and the stack is shaken, causing King Yertle to come crashing down into the pond. At the end of the book, all he has left to rule over is the mud and "all the turtles are free as turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be." I loved this final line, as it introduces the message of freedom. This story also carries a strong moral lesson about greed and power. I enjoyed the illustrations because they were very descriptive of what was going on in the text on each particular page. On a basic level, this book could be used to teach students about rhyming. But also, I think it would be a good tool to discuss the topic of power in society and hurting others to get what you want; I could ask students to brainstorm instances in which they have seen these themes played out in real life. Although this story is pretty easy to read and could be used with young children, I would probably use it with somewhat older students so that the class can have deeper discussions. ( )
  mmiller28 | Oct 29, 2015 |
32 months - O always always always wants to read from cover to cover. Each of the three stories are good with nice morals to them but I can't make it through the whole book. After two my tongue feels like it's all twisted up from the speed and rhyme of the stories. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This silly turtle tale teaches the importance of humility and not stepping on people to get where you want, in this case a stack of turtles. Yertle wanted so badly to be the king of everything but didn't about anyone but himself. It takes tumbling in the mud for him, and readers to come to that realization. Humility and lack of selfishness are big, yet difficult subjects to teach to young children. This book speaks where words fail as a parent or a teacher. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 30, 2015 |
This book is for The Bartletts of Norwich, Vt. and for The Sagmasters of Cincinnati, Ohio
On the far-away Island of Sala-ma-Sond,
Yertle the Turtle was king of the pond.

Contains: Yertle the turtle -- Gertrude McFuzz -- The big brag

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800877, Hardcover)

Yet more wisdom cast down from high atop Mt. Seuss, this cheerful trio of tales teaches some valuable lessons in humility--thanks to a sharp-eyed worm, a bragging bear and rabbit, a fuzzy-tailed bird, and a couple hundred turtles led by their foolish King Yertle.

Yertle's story leads off with his attempt to build a bigger kingdom on the backs of his loyal subjects (literally). King of everything he can see, Yertle orders his turtles to stack up under him to build a towering throne. ("He made each turtle stand on another one's back and he piled them all up in a nine-turtle stack.") But a plain little turtle named Mack--stuck at the bottom--decides he's had enough. ("I know up on top you are seeing great sights, but down on the bottom we, too, should have rights!")

Following Yertle's downfall, a whiny girl-bird named Gertrude McFuzz wishes she had two feathers, just like Miss Lolla-Lee-Lou: "One droopy-droop feather. That's all that she had. And, oh! That one feather made Gertrude so sad." But even when Gertrude gets her wish--and then some--she finds that vanity has its price. Meanwhile, in "The Big Brag," a proud rabbit and an even-prouder bear duke it out in a battle of the senses, arguing over who's the best of the beasts, only to get their clever comeuppance from a wild-eyed little worm. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

Includes three humorous stories in verse; Yertle the Turtle, Gertrude McFuzz, and The Big Brag.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,247,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible