Giving Up the Ghost: A Memoir by Hilary…

Giving Up the Ghost: A Memoir (2003)

by Hilary Mantel

298None38,152 (3.63)44
Recently added bymjsimoes, private library, bibliobibuli, elasmith, mamabi, hk-reader, tlarkin, Aldie74

This short memoir by Hilary Mantel focuses on two main aspects of her life: her somewhat difficult childhood and her long periods of (misdiagnosed) ill-health. Of the two, it was the first that I found most interesting. Growing up as a young child in a Irish Catholic home in England she seems to have had a poor but loving early childhood, surrounded by parents, grandparents and aunts and uncles. But as she was about to start secondary school her life changed for ever: after a period of a somewhat curious ménage a trois, her mother left her father to live with another man, taking the young Hilary and her two brothers with her. Hilary never saw her father again. At this stage I desperately wanted to know more about the background of this separation, but as these recollections are very much told from the point of view of the child observing them those details are never forthcoming. And with a new and difficult step-father, and a place at a convent school while the child of a woman who had left her husband to live with another man, Hilary's teenage years become much more difficult.

What I found a more challenging part of the book was the story of Hilary Mantel's battle with ill-health, which left her infertile by her late twenties. While this is a horrendous story of misdiagnosis by doctor after doctor, I found that I got more and more frustrated with Hilary herself: I just couldn't understand why either she or her husband or parent didn't make more fuss, when it was clear that she wasn't getting the treatment she required. Why didn't you argue, I kept wanting to say to her. Why don't you insist on a second opinion? And it's clear that Hilary Mantel does not completely understand her attitude either:

'There are several possible explanations, on several levels. One is that, in the time and place where I grew up, expectations of health were low, especially for women. The proper attitude to doctors was humble gratitude; you cleaned the house before they arrived. The deeper explanation is that I always felt that I deserved very little, that I would probably not be happy in life, and that the safest thing was to lie down and die'

Overall, an interesting read, although the recollections are interspersed at times with a number of supernatural elements (the ghost of the title being a case in point) which rather left me cold. But recommended nonetheless. ( )
  SandDune | Apr 4, 2014 |
"This is Mantel, telling you about the strange things in her life that have contributed to being her. It's not the events themselves (she refuses to tell you some of them) but the way she explores her reactions to them and how they've impacted her life."
read more:http://likeiamfeasting.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/giving-up-ghost-hilary-mantel.html ( )
  mongoosenamedt | Sep 2, 2013 |
After reading Wolf Hall, Hilary Mantel's memior made perfect sense. ( )
  FionaWh | Nov 3, 2012 |
The back of this book is unhelpful; it makes it seem as though the whole thing is about her infertility. That's part of the story, but it's not even most of it. Most of it is about growing up Catholic, going to schools taught by nuns, growing up in a family, trying to make sense of life from a child's perspective. The mysteries of adults and the struggle to unravel them. How it is when Father is displaced by another man who is unkind, and how the neighbors know and try to shame your mother.

Later she talks about health problems that dogged her most of her life, and she was ill served by doctors and modern medicine. She was diagnosed as a young woman as having psychiatric problems and given drugs that altered her vision and her memory, and finally got her self off of them and away from doctors. Later her illnesses and the drugs she had to take made her body change shape and she is eloquent about how strange that was. For me that was the most moving part of the book. How being fat changes you, changes the way people look at you. Besides this she remakes her life again and again, and mentions those changes in the most casual way, which puts me in awe of her.

She begins the book as a child and as a young woman with no agency, no certainty, and ends it as someone who seems to understand herself and the world well and to have taken charge of her life. It's good to see. ( )
1 vote piemouth | Sep 16, 2011 |
She has such a calm voice, so determined, so clear considering her terrifying experiences with the medical profession and the various obnoxious convent schools. I salute her, her stamina, her love of life, her sharp brain. ( )
  allsun | Apr 25, 2011 |
[poem] "Sharecropper's Grave" Judy Jordan
For my family
It is a Saturday, late July 2000; we are in Reepham, Norfolk, at Owl Cottage.

From the double Man Booker Prize-winning author of 'Wolf Hall', a wry, shocking and beautiful memoir of childhood, ghosts, hauntings, illness and family. 'Giving up the Ghost' is award-winning novelist Hilary Mantel's uniquely unusual five-part autobiography. Opening in 1995 with 'A Second Home', Mantel describes the death of her stepfather which leaves her deeply troubled by the unresolved events of her childhood. In 'Now Geoffrey Don't Torment Her' Mantel takes the reader into the muffled consciousness of her early childhood, culminating in the birth of a younger brother and the strange candlelight ceremony of her mother's 'churching'. In 'Smile', an account of teenage perplexity, Mantel describes a household where the keeping of secrets has become a way of life. Finally, at the memoir's conclusion, Mantel explains how through a series of medical misunderstandings and neglect she came to be childless and how the ghosts of the unborn like chances missed or pages unturned, have come to haunt her life as a writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:03 -0400)

'Giving Up the Ghost' is novelist Hilary Mantel's autobiography in fiction and non-fiction. It deals with childhood, ghosts (real and metaphorical), illness and family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible