You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers

You Shall Know Our Velocity (edition 2003)

by Dave Eggers

Member:amyandroland
Title:You Shall Know Our Velocity
Authors:Dave Eggers
Info:Vintage (2003), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages

You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers

Recently added byjorgexma, kmzaytoon, trascott, bewogenlucht, Chamblyman, amloeb, private library

Will carries a guilt load after failing to get his brother to a Mexican hospital. The brother was fatally injured, but survived for a few days, later Will came into $80,000 and decides to give the money away to the poor and strictan in africa and the Baltic states of Europe.
  waltser1 | Jan 20, 2018 |
I love Eggers writing. This definitely left me pondering things as usual. The ending is a bit vague as I suppose it was meant to be. I wanted to hear from Hand one last time before it ended. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
1 vote Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I had some problems with this book. I certainly did not come away with the impression that Eggers is a good writer. I will make a big delineation here between good writing and funny writing. Most people mistake one for the other because being funny is not easy, but being funny, quirky, or otherwise hipsterish doesn't make you good at what you do. Doesn't make you bad either, but the likelihood increases simply at the effort to be popular.

Eggers' narrative is swift and humorous, but not cutting, inviting, insightful, or even all that interesting. And all that is aside from his inability to tell an interesting story.

My major problem was with the voice of the character. Will is supposed to be an idiot. If not an idiot then painfully common, yet he comes up with these poetic musings and these colorations that simply would not run through the mind of such a common character.

Through the whole thing I kept thinking that Eggers was just trying to show us how cute he could be, like that idiot Zooey Deshanal (sp?) who just looks as if she's so impressed with how cute she is. I'm really not down with this kind of loose, plain-speech narrative that passes as great literature nowadays. Everyone talks like this, what is so special about writing it down if the character doesn't have anything special about them? What exactly is there to read about here?

The conflict was loose, the characters unremarkable, the voice funny at times but mostly square and depressing, and the story ... what story? The only thing I wanted to was how he died (This is on the first page, no spoiler here) and Eggers didn't even get to it. Fucking lame, man.

I do not recommend this book. It'll be a while before Eggers gets another 20 dollar bill out of me. I'm just not into Hipster-Lit. If you are, great, but lets not go handing out Pulitzers over it.

DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
Well, this is what happens when I go on vacation and stay at a place with no TV - I attempt to read the Dave Eggers book I find on the shelves at the house, knowing I won't like it, and I don't. Just fwiw, I don't like McSweeney's either, and all that that entails. I don't like the whole approach, the jokey-ness poorly masking maudlin sentimentality, the insane plethora of high-speed detail that overwhelms any larger picture or deeper insight (talk about not seeing the forest for the...), the short-attention-span narrative style, and the callow American white boy psychology that is by now so boringly over-studied I just can't bear it anymore. My bad. I should have brought my own reading with me. Time to visit the local library. ( )
  CSRodgers | Jul 17, 2014 |

Dave Eggersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wisneiwski, Frances Handsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an expanded version of

"Sacrament" is a revised and expanded version (i.e., a significantly different version)  of "You Shall Know Our Velocity". The Vintage edition of this revision was given the title "You Shall Know Our Velocity!" - Note the added explanation point at the end.

After acquiring $32,000, Will and Hand, devastated over the death of their closest friend, travel around the world giving away the money, in a rowdy debut novel from the author of A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,518,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible