Recklessly Royal (The Royals) by Nichole…

Recklessly Royal (The Royals) (edition 2014)

by Nichole Chase (Author)

Series: The Royals (Chase) (2)

Catherine has spent her life being the perfect princess. She's kept her hands clean, her head down, and most importantly-men at arm's length. After all, most men are after only one thing, and for Cathy there's a lot more at stake than her bed; she has to worry about the fate of an entire nation. But at the rate she's going, Cathy is afraid she'll give the Virgin Queen a run for her money. She is tired of waiting for someone good enough to come along. She has a plan, and it all hinges on seducing the one man who seems utterly unimpressed by all things royal. The one man she is tempted by more than any other . . . When David arrives at the royal wedding of his friend, the newly ordained Duchess Samantha Rousseau, he expects to feel uncomfortable and out of his element, but he isn't prepared to be targeted by Prince Alex's gorgeous younger sister. With Cathy's giant blue eyes, killer figure, and sense of humor, it won't take long before he gives in. But when he finds out just how innocent the crown princess really is, will he play the part of knight in shining armor or the dashing rogue?… (more)
Member:Rose9929
Title:Recklessly Royal (The Royals)
Authors:Nichole Chase (Author)
Info:Avon (2014), 384 pages
Tags:to-read

Recklessly Royal by Nichole Chase

Oh man... Boring is the word that comes to mind... Which is so disappointing because I really enjoyed the first one! It's probably because I just can't relate to these characters... The guy is about as personality deprived as Alex was in the previous installment(which, as I said, I really liked, but I guess I must have liked Sam more), and Cathy... Sorry, but I can't relate to a princess who finds it hard... Being a princess.
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
B*o*r*i*n*g. I was unable to develop feelings of empathy for "Cathy." The author just did not make the case that what Cathy deals with in terms of paparazzi was worth all the angsty words written over 7 1/2 hours of audiobook. The focus needed to be directed on HOW she is dealing with living a public vs. private life. I also felt her immaturity was out of balance with David's maturity; they didn't match up well. I finally gave up though I had only an hour left.

Re: Caitlin Davies: The narrator needs to go back to "narrator" school. The hero "David" is from Minnesota, but displayed a mostly southern twang. There was little consistency with character intonation, and Ms. Davies needs A LOT of practice switching among different characters and as plot narrator. ( )
  Conkie | Aug 4, 2016 |
This book was just as much fun as the first book in the series, Suddenly Royal. In this one, the new Princess Samantha has asked her friend David to come to Lilaria and run things at the Future Bird Trust while she's on her honeymoon. He remembers the trouble she had adjusting to being royalty, and expects to feel equally uncomfortable, but the birds won't care. He doesn't expect to be blindsided by the prince's sexy younger sister.

Cathy has spent the last couple years being extra careful about her reputation, ever since Alex had had an especially bad run in with the tabloids. The little experience she's had with men has shown her that they're after one thing - bragging rights. She figures that if she can find a man who doesn't care what she is, she might be able to find out what she's been missing.

I loved Cathy and David's first meeting. He has arrived in country a day earlier than originally expected and arrives at the royal family's home just as the ladies of the wedding party are getting into their bachelorette party. They have brought in an instructor to teach them the basics of pole dancing, and as they have all had a bit to drink things are striking them as extra funny. Cathy has just started her attempt when David walks in, and bowled over by his good looks, mistakes him for a stripper. After some rather risque remarks, including trying to get him to take his clothes off, she finally realizes who he is. Alcohol and embarrassment make an interesting conclusion to the evening.

One thing that was evident was the attraction between Cathy and David. They have a moment together after the wedding that doesn't turn out quite the way that Cathy had hoped and she's pretty embarrassed about that too. But David is a really nice guy and is interested in Cathy, and takes a chance on getting to know her. Being an American, he has no clue what it's like to date a high profile woman like Cathy, but he wants to try. I loved the way that he told Cathy that he would deal with whatever the media threw at him for the chance to be with her. There are several times when it would have been very easy for him to give up on the relationship, but he didn't. He also finds himself fascinated by the two distinct personalities she has - Cathy the woman, and Catherine the princess, and is protective of them both. That really comes out when her longtime personal assistant ends up in the hospital and Cathy has to deal with a replacement who isn't quite what she ought to be. I really loved seeing him support Cathy at the end as she faces something of a personal crisis.

I loved Cathy. She's bright, she's honest, and she loves her family. She's taken on a lot of responsibility over the past couple years and has worked hard not to let her natural tendencies cause problems for the family. I loved her conversation with Samantha and Jess just before the party, and her antics during the party were hysterical. She admits to herself that she's really attracted to David and is quite willing to see where that attraction will take her. She's a bit bummed when he seems to back off, but then intrigued by his wish to get to know her better. She is worried about how he will handle the media attention that will come when they are seen together. When her assistant is taken ill, David's support gives her a place to go emotionally, where she can recharge for the next hurdle. I loved seeing their love develop as they got to know each other and she saw him deal with everything her life hit him with. Her dealings with her temporary assistant at the end really showed the effect that David's love and support have had on her.

The humor and fun in the story was terrific. The conversations between Cathy and David could be pretty funny, but there was sweetness and romance in them too. I also liked seeing the way the characters had to deal with each other's lifestyles. They had to learn to trust in each other. I also liked the epilogue, and seeing where Cathy and David are in their relationship. Catching up with Sam and Alex was great too. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Apr 2, 2015 |
Recklessly Royal is the second book in the Suddenly Royal series. I absolutely adored the first book, so I couldn't wait to read the second installment in the series. It picks up a few months after Suddenly. For those of you that have read the first book, Prince Alex and Samantha's wedding takes place in this book. So for that alone it's worth reading. But they're not the stars in this book, Catherine, aka Cathy, is.

Cathy wants to fall in love, but she's afraid of falling for the wrong person. Specifically someone who will use her just for her title. Then she meets David. From their disastrous, but hilarious, first meeting, these two have chemistry. Major chemistry! However there are a few obstacles standing in Cathy's way. Can Cathy learn to take control of her life and learn to trust the right people?

This is the perfect book for a weekend read! Though I hope you don't have any plans because you'll want to cancel them to stay in and read. Chase has written characters that you'll fall in love with. You'll laugh, giggle, and cheer for them. The only complaint I have is that too much emphasis was placed on 'Royal Cathy' versus 'Behind the Scenes Cathy'. She's a princess, so yeah, her life is under the spotlight. And of course she's expected to act a certain way in public and another in private. I felt as if that was getting drilled into my head over and over. Other than that, I really enjoyed this read. I'm looking forward to the next book, Reluctantly Royal. It features Max, who we got to know a little bit more in this book. Now the wait begins!

Read more at http://www.toreadornottoread.net/2014/04/review-recklessly-royal-by-nichole-chas... ( )
  mt256 | May 3, 2014 |
After reading the cute and entertaining Suddenly Royal earlier this year, I was looking forward to the next installment of the trilogy. Recklessly Royal is not a Cinderella story like its predecessor though. In this contemporary romance, Cathy might be looking for her Prince Charming, but she's already a princess by birth and that changed the whole tone of this one.

Catherine has spent her whole life safeguarding her reputation and her heart. She is thrilled that her oldest brother has found the love of his life and while she too would love to find love, she is wary of men looking to take advantage of her simply because she is a princess royal. She wants what her brother has, someone who loves her in spite of her title, not because of it. When she takes her hair down and really lets loose at Samantha's private bachelorette party, Cathy meets and embarrasses herself in front of David, an old friend of Sam's and a guy who definitely doesn't give two blue beans about her title. While the two of them are immediately attracted to each other, they move very cautiously and for a while other things in Cathy's official life are as, if not more, important than their potential relationship.

Cathy's long time assistant Selene is getting older and is starting to allow others to help her in her job. Cathy isn't sure she entirely likes Tabitha, the young junior assistant who seems to be pushing to take over for Selene, but when Selene has a medical crisis, Tabitha takes advantage and steps in despite Cathy's misgivings and gut feelings. All of this happens just as Cathy and David are getting to know each other and having a lot of trouble keeping their hands off of each other. Can Tabitha be trusted to protect their budding relationship from the press?

Cathy's concerns are certainly valid given her position as a princess and her concern and care for her assistant is nice but most other times in story, she comes off as spoiled and immature. There's little there that would explain why the charming, smart, and seemingly perfect David would have any interest in this woman and the glass house of her life. David comes across as ideal but there's not a lot of depth to the portrayal of his character and certainly no insight into his feelings. The first book in the trilogy was pure confectionary delight but this one failed to live up to its predecessor. Although not all I'd hoped, it was still an interesting look at the loyalty and discretion surrounding royals and what cost to a private life a life lived so in public can be. ( )
  whitreidtan | Apr 29, 2014 |

Nichole Chaseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davies, CaitlinReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
HarperAudioPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,613,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible