Short Trips: Life Science by John Binns

Short Trips: Life Science

by John Binns

Other authors: David Bailey (Contributor), Trevor Baxendale (Contributor), Andy Campbell (Contributor), Ian Farrington (Contributor), Todd Green (Contributor)11 more, Matthew Griffiths (Contributor), Alexander Leithes (Contributor), Steve Lyons (Contributor), Jonathan Morris (Contributor), Jim Mortimore (Contributor), Kate Orman (Contributor), Lance Parkin (Contributor), Richard Salter (Contributor), John Seavey (Contributor), Mark Stevens (Contributor), Gareth Wigmore (Contributor)

Series: Doctor Who (Short Trips), Doctor Who: Short Trips (7)

Seventh in the series of short story collections from Big Finish featuring the first eight Doctors, this time with a theme around the science of life - which normally means biological, but can extend into other areas too. To be honest I felt his was a bit flat, with only two stories that grabbed me, both more about artificial intelligence: "Lant Land", by Jonathan Morris, bringing Five, Tegan and Turlough to a world where the local version of the Sims has become something much more horrible, and "The Reproductive Cycle" by Matthew Griffiths which takes the frankly unpromising concept of positing that Kamelion and the Tardis had a secret love-child, and does it rather well. ( )
  nwhyte | Apr 17, 2016 |

Salter, RichardContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Seavey, JohnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, MarkContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wigmore, GarethContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Once, we believed our lives were sacred, that we had souls. Now we know that we are mere machines; genetic data. We are science. But even as we learn, the properties of life remain uncertain. How does life acquire consciousness, or rights? Does a robot dream? If a person transforms into an oak tree, is it science or the work of the gods? Did the Victorians find a way to resurrect the dead? To science, such questions are invitations to explore. Who better to explore them with than the Doctor?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,895,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible