Club Nexus by E. J. Stevens

Club Nexus

by E. J. Stevens

Note: Even though this is Book 2.5 in the series, it works just fine as a stand alone.

This book reads more like 5 short stories as there are 5 viewpoints of basically the same event, an event that takes place at the questionable bar Club Nexus. Ivy Granger and her gal pal Jinx head out for a drink, well armed. There’s a faerie that was tricked into servitude by the bar owner and she is none too happy about it. Below the bar are a series of rooms for the special clients who have special needs. I’m sure Ivy wouldn’t mind firebombing them all.

We also have our favorite demon, Forneus. He’s had an attraction to Jinx for some time and she has always rebuffed him. However, this time the ladies have to deal with a blood thirsty Southern vampire. So Forneus’s martial skills may just come in handy. I really enjoy the tension between Jinx & Forneus. I look forward to exploring the other books in the series to see more of this. In this particular book, we get to ride around in Forneus’s head for a bit and it was very interesting to see how he truly feels towards Jinx.

My only complaint about this book is that some of it was repetitive, which can be expected since it’s the same situation told over and over again by all these different people. It was kind of like taking different witness statements at an accident scene actually.

The book has that right mix of sexy tension and action. Ivy, as usual, is good at smacking the bad guys. The real big bad guy in this story is worthy of the title and also worthy of his ending. While Jinx isn’t really battle-hardened, she does make a contribution to the mayhem. It was a fun listen.

I received a copy of this audiobook at no cost from the author in exchange for an honest review (thanks!).

Narration: Traci Odom was a nice pick for this book. She had a very good range of voices, as this book required since it is told from 5 distinct viewpoints. There were also various accents (British, Southern, etc.). I really enjoyed her performance. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Aug 10, 2015 |
I downloaded this on a whim some time ago, and couldn't be more pleased. I've been unimpressed with most of the digital-only reads I've tried, but this was fantastic, if short.

Admittedly, I have a fondness for this type of story. We are told a story about a club owned by Robin Goodfellow. A Sidhe bartender chafes under the fact she was tricked into servitude, watches for her opportunity to slip into the "members only" area of the club, then attempts to kill him.

The next chapter tells the story from the perspective of the vampire the sidhe uses to obtain entrance to the members only area. He's got his own problems. This is followed by the POV of a human that Robin Goodfellow attempts to pick up and, basically, use as vampire bait. Finally, we hear the perspective of her erstwhile demon boyfriend.

It was a great way to tell the story, and each telling gives us more details and tells a slightly longer version of events. The characters were wonderful, though we don't see much of any of them. I hoped this was a series about the human and demon, but was disappointed to find out the series actually follows the human's business partner, one of the least interesting personalities we saw in the bar. I might try it anyway, because this was awesome.

Great lunchtime read, if you're into paranormal romance. No prior knowledge of the series needed to understand things, either. ( )
1 vote ConnieJo | Aug 10, 2014 |
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of Urban Fantasy, the Ivy Granger series
Book Available: December 3, 2013
Trigger Warnings: torture, murder, magical roofies, violence

Please Note: There will be a release-day giveaway on December 3 to celebrate the release of this book, which will go live at 12 a.m. Eastern standard time on December 3. You can enter to win at my blog.

My Thoughts: This novella comprises four short stories that interweave to provide various points of view. The one person we do not hear from is Ivy, but there is a short story featuring Jinx and another featuring Forneus, as well as a couple other people involved in Club Nexus. Since they are shorts, and they all address the same general period of time, I can't provide much information without spoiling things, but I really enjoyed this story, especially Forneus' section. Although that was bittersweet, but... well, I can't say more than that. I just felt bad for him.

Fans of the series, you won't want to miss this. Urban Fantasy fans, you need to check out Ivy Granger and this series.

Series Information: Ivy Granger, Psychic Detective series
Book 1: Shadow Sight, read and reviewed July 2012, review linked here where formatting allowed.
Book 1.5: Blood and Mistletoe, read and reviewed October 2012, review linked here where formatting allowed.
Book 2: Ghost Light, read and reviewed July 2013, review linked here where formatting allowed.
Book 2.5: Club Nexus, TBR 12/3/14
Book 3: Burning Bright, TBR June 17, 2014

Disclosure: I received an e-ARC from the author. No review was requested, but I am happy to provide my honest opinion. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: A demon, an Unseelie faerie, and a vampire walk into a bar...

This Ivy Granger ebook special contains short stories set in Club Nexus, the hidden haunt of Harborsmouth's paranormal underworld.

ICED

A bargain gone wrong leads a highborn Unseelie faerie to life as an enslaved bartender with a taste for revenge.

DUSTED

Being a highly skilled predator doesn't necessarily put you at the top of the food chain at Club Nexus. A southern vampire with a hankering for blood and wanton violence may have bit off more than he can chew.

DEMONIZED

The demon attorney we love to hate has his eye on a certain rockabilly human. Too bad she's brought a crossbow loaded with holy water dipped bolts for this night on the town.

JINXED

Just when Jinx needs a carefree girl's night out with Ivy, a smoking hot demon tries to buy her a drink. She really is the unluckiest human on the planet. ( )
1 vote Katyas | Dec 1, 2013 |
Welcome to Club Nexus, a singular entertainment experience deep in the heart of Harborsmouth.

A demon, an Unseelie faerie, and a vampire walk into a bar...

ICED

DUSTED

DEMONIZED

JINXED

E. J. Stevens is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,326,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible