The Nazi Hunters by Neal Bascomb

The Nazi Hunters (edition 2013)

by Neal Bascomb (Author)

2582044,311 (4.29)4
Member:mfagan
Title:The Nazi Hunters
Authors:Neal Bascomb (Author)
Info:Arthur (2013), 244 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

The Nazi Hunters: How a Team of Spies and Survivors Captured the World's Most Notorious Nazi by Neal Bascomb

NAZI HUNTERS BY Neal Bascomb HOW A TEAM OF SPIES AND SURVIVORS CAPTURED NOTORIOUS NAZI This well organized chronology of THE intricate surveillance and capture of the murderer Adolf Eichmann, the proud head of the extermination of millions of Jewish people. Nazi Hunters by Bascomb is a well detailed reporting of the cause, plan and capture of the most murderous member of the Nazi party, Adolph Eichmann. Truly the best book I have read in a decade. Bascomb painstakingly and clearly presents every detail of the 15-year hunt for the murderer Eichmann. The book is very accessible with its wonderful photographic inserts of the facts relayed by the author, PHOTOS THAT makes the reader feel LIKE A PARTICIPANT in a miraculous quest for true justice. True photographs and copies of the genuine documents involved in the 1960 capture of Eichmann in Argentina, prove all facts presented and take us along the 15-year quest for justice.
In the opening pages a list of the several people involved, including, the average Jewish citizen, who is a self-appointed “Nazi Hunter” and the Mossad members with Isser Harel leading them, the Israeli Defense Force members known as Shin Bet, as well as Prime Minister of Israel Ben Gurion are all factually presented in a narrative form that is easy to read and enjoy. This book like ‘The Hiding Place” by Corrie Ten Boom will be one I will read again and again. In this world where justice generally doesn’t occur, it is inspiring to know that, in the prosecution of Eichmann’s case true justice is served. I look forward to planning lesson plans that will include this great book. I look forward to including it on a summer reading list for my High School students.
The members of mossad and those that assisted them like the sayenhim in Argentina, worked together tirelessly to bring the greatest episode of justice in the 20th Century. “the mission could not be allowed to fail. .. first, they would need to capture Eichmann alive. Second they would have to keep him in a secure location, avoid detection, for an indeterminate period of time, until third they could smuggle him out of Argentina . “Nazi hunters page 68
The provocative reporting of this true story by Bascomb seamlessly leads us as if we to are hunting for justice for all the innocent people who lost their lives. The moment of the capture is a stirring moment of honestly portrayed facts, and so well detailed that I was gasping with the captors.
Many documented secret meetings included speeches by Mossad Director Isser Harel. I believe these are the moments the author chose to tether this exciting story to.
“ If the mission succeeded… the Jewish people would see justice done to one of the leading organizers of THE HOLOCAUST.” page 68
The mission did succeed by the efforts of several heartbroken people who lost their loved ones to this overwhelmingly murderous evil.
After the Mossad was assured that the neighbors, the Argentinian Hermann family were correct about Mr. Eichmann, many intricate spy maneuvers are made to get close to the modest home on Garibaldi Street. Once the several participants were in place Harel gives another provocative speech
“ It is not an ordinary capture operation but the capture of a hideous Nazi criminal, the most horrible enemy of the Jewish people. We are not performing this operation as adventurers but as representatives of the Jewish people and the state of Israel … We not only have the right but the moral duty to bring this man to trial … You are guardian angels of Justice the emissaries of the Jewish people.” We will bring Eichmann to Israel and perhaps the world will be reminded of its responsibilities. It will be recognized that we as a people we never forgot” Page 90 Director of Mossad Isser Harel.
“You were chosen by destiny to guarantee that one of the worst criminals of all time , who for years has evaded justice would be made to stand trial in Jerusalem “ For the first time in history the Jews will judge their assassins and for the first time the world will hear the edict of annihilation against an entire people” Page 118
The book is organized as a story evidently taken from true interviews or reports by the people who were actually involved. One example is the notes taken by Eichmann’s guard at Tira , Peter Malkin

Malkin who had lost his sister Fruma to the concentration camp speaks to Eichmann
Peter Malkin asked Eichmann, “How did you come to do what you did?
Eichmann responded with “It was an order. I had a job to do” and then went on to say …Aren’t you a soldier? Why did you capture me... because of an order?”
Malkin responds “Yes I got an order to capture you … I had an order to catch a criminal…. But you went after innocent people. They had done nothing wrong at all.”
Page 161 Malkin succeeds in getting Eichmann to sign a document that forces him to stand trial in Israel although Eichmann thought he should be tried in Germany. CLOSE READING https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B0oe9ErbPE
After the years of surveillance, the fortunate capture of the German factory worker known as Ricardo Klement (aka murderer Eichmann) – and days of being held at Tira the murderer who believed he was just following orders in his atrocities signs the document stating – “ I declare of my free will, since my true identity has been discovered. …. Futile for me to continue evading justice.. am prepared to travel to Israel to stand trial...: in May 1960: page 161
This fascinating book can be read in one sitting and flows so well that I believe it should be made into a movie . ( )
  Tarasusan | Mar 5, 2017 |
An interesting account of the capture of an infamous Nazi that I had actually not heard about before. I think it really should raise some ethical questions about human rights and the concept of an eye for an eye... ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
RGG: Another young adult version of a previously published for adults non-fiction book. It's difficult to tell whether the intensity of the hunt and capture for Eichmann translates to young adult readers who don't have an intense exposure and connection to the Holocaust--just the multitude of names may be off putting to young adult readers. Reading Level: 12-YA; FP: Z.
  rgruberexcel | Dec 7, 2015 |
The true story of the hunt for one of Nazi Germany's worst criminals. Adolf Eichmann was responsible for sending over 5 million Jews to their deaths. His job was to carry out Hitler's order to wipe out all Jews. He was horrifyingly good at his job. The book follows a number of people who were involved over two decades trying to track down where Eichmann disappeared after the war. They eventually found him in Argentina. The author included a "List of Participants" at the beginning of the book that helps the reader keep track of all the people who participated in the hunt for this notorious criminal. Eichmann was eventually caught and tried in Israel. Part of the trial was trying to prove that this man was actually Eichmann. In the end, he was the first, and only, person to be sentenced to death from an Israeli court to this day. He both appealed and requested clemency, both of which were denied. He was hanged to death and then burned, a fitting end to a man who burned so many during the war. The Israeli government had his ashes sprinkled on the sea, primarily so there could be no place to put up a monument to him. The Nazi Hunters is told very dispassionately, but also helps you get to know a few of the people whose lives had been effected by Eichmann. The horror is balanced with the factual retelling of the events leading to his capture, trial and end.
  TeachrBkMom | Jul 23, 2015 |
Prologue - Buenos Aires, Argentina, May 1960 - A remote stretch of unlit road on a windy night.
Chapter 1 - Lieutenant Colonel Adolf Eichmann stood at the head of the convoy of 140 military vehicles. It was noon on Sunday, March 19th, 1944, his thirty-eighth birthday.

A thrilling spy mission, a moving Holocaust story, and a first-class work of narrative nonfiction.

In 1945, at the end of World War II, Adolf Eichmann, the head of operations for the Nazis' Final Solution, walked into the mountains of Germany and vanished from view. Sixteen years later, an elite team of spies captured him at a bus stop in Argentina and smuggled him to Israel, resulting in one of the century's most important trials -- one that cemented the Holocaust in the public imagination.

THE NAZI HUNTERS is the thrilling and fascinating story of what happened between these two events. Survivor Simon Wiesenthal opened Eichmann's case; a blind Argentinean and his teenage daughter provided crucial information. Finally, the Israeli spies -- many of whom lost family in the Holocaust -- embarked on their daring mission, recounted here in full. Based on the adult bestseller HUNTING EICHMANN, which is now in development as a major film, and illustrated with powerful photos throughout, THE NAZI HUNTERS is a can't-miss work of narrative nonfiction for middle-grade and YA readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:28 -0400)

Recounts how, sixteen years after the end of World War II, a team of undercover Israeli agents captured the Nazi war criminal, Adolf Eichmann, in a remote area of Argentina and brought him to trial in Israel for crimes committed during the Holocaust.

16 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,257,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible