Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Dearest (The Woodcutter Sisters) by Alethea…

Dearest (The Woodcutter Sisters)

by Alethea Kontis

While I did really like this story, like most of the romance was forced. And several revelations that came right at the end were a bit too convenient. ( )
  Aridy | Mar 21, 2018 |
Barf. So disappointed. I LOVED the first book in this series, which was both interesting and beautifully written. The second book was ok, if a little contrived and forced feeling. This book was empty drivel and trite barf. BARF, and I'm so disappointed. ( )
  ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |
I was a bit discouraged that this book did not pick up where the previous book had ended but I was roped in very quickly to the story. Much like the other books I was unable to put the book down. Very good story line with a powerful buildup and strong ending. I'd definitely recommend this book to others. ( )
  DJLunchlady91404 | Dec 1, 2016 |
Friday Woodcutter, loving and giving, is caught up in a mysterious magical ocean that comes flooding through the kingdom. She is almost drowned, but a passerby takes her to the castle where her sister Sunday is queen, and where many refugees have fled due to the flood. While caring for the refugee children, Friday befriends a mute kitchen maid and discovers that this maid is more than what she seems: a foreign princess caught in a curse, along with her six brothers who sleep in the ruined tower as princes by night, and swim in the castle pond as swans by day. Friday, with her empathic magic and her skill with a needle, is the ideal sister to help these cursed individuals -- but the evil magician who cast the curse is on his way to the kingdom, and Friday and her new friends may not have much time. . .

The events in this book are concurrent with those in its predecessor, Hero -- this book tells about what happens in the kingdom while Saturday is off on her adventure. It's just as delightful as the first two volumes, and can stand on its own fairly well, though I'd recommend starting at the beginning with Enchanted. My only criticism is that the climax of the book is a little muddled, or crammed too full of stuff, a fault that the other books in the series share. I think it's because the series has such an ambitious premise, pulling in all sorts of fairy tale elements in each book and yet also weaving together the larger story of the Woodcutter family, seeped as they are in legend and portent. I'm excited to see where the series goes next (I'm assuming each sister gets a book, but that could be tricky since one of them is, well, dead), and I'm already picking up hints that Monday's story, which should be the last book in the series, will be epic. Fans of retold fairy tales, if you haven't discovered this series yet, you need to do so soon! ( )
  foggidawn | Aug 14, 2016 |
I really like the Woodcutter Sisters series. I love fairy tale retellings and these are great ones. Friday is loving and giving so to her all problems can be faced with love and mercy. I really liked that about her. She stayed true to herself, even when she had to do something 'bad' to save everyone. The story moves very quickly, just like the first two. Everything happens within about two weeks. I liked the hero, Tristan. He was not annoying. That is very important to me. He was driven to stop the bad guy but not at any cost and when Friday did what she had to do, he does not think any less of her. Kontis is a very beautiful writer. Her pose is easy to read but not simple. She is writing for teens and adults and her language choices reflect that. I cannot wait to read Thursday's story next year.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. ( )
  lrainey | May 10, 2016 |

"When Friday Woodcutter, a kind and loving seamstress, stumbles upon seven sleeping brothers in her sister Sunday's palace, she takes one look at Tristan and knows he's her future. But the brothers are cursed to be swans by day. Can Friday's unique magic somehow break the spell?"--… (more)

Alethea Kontis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,478,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible