Carsick: John Waters Hitchhikes Across…

Carsick: John Waters Hitchhikes Across America (original 2014; edition 2014)

by John Waters

Member:SqueakyChu
Title:Carsick: John Waters Hitchhikes Across America
Authors:John Waters
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2014), Hardcover, 336 pages

Carsick: John Waters Hitchhikes Across America by John Waters (2014)

I love John Waters so I was excited to find Carsick at the library last week. If you like Waters' sense of humor and way with a tale, you'll probably love this memoir of his hitchhiking from Baltimore to San Francisco as much as I did. It's divided into three parts: what he imagines the best rides will be, what the worst rides might be, and finally, what actually happened. 4.875/5 ( )
  MFenn | Apr 22, 2018 |
John Waters, eccentric director of the original Hairspray and Cry Baby, hitchhikes from Baltimore to his apartment in San Francisco, and lives to write a book about his journey! About two-thirds of the book are novellas. The first one details all of the horrible things that Waters thought would happen to him. The second novella describes a best-case scenario, complete with plenty of romantic encounters and oddball characters. Waters recounts his actual hitchhiking experiences in the last third of the book, which are significantly less bizarre and graphic. The fictionalized accounts were interesting, but I wish Waters would have devoted more pages to the actual hitchhiking trip and the real people he met on the road. Readers beware, this book is quite graphic at times, and might be a little much for anyone not familiar with the work of John Waters.

Kathleen K. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
After about half of the first third of the book I just skipped to the Real Ride section. The fictional stories are not my type but the real section is great. ( )
  Jennie.Cole | Feb 24, 2016 |
I dont know which about the book was better, the fictional rides he dreamed up or the real ones! It was fun, weird, stretching of the imagination all the while glimpsing into Americans from all walks of life and his take on their conversation. ( )
1 vote iowabooker | Jan 11, 2016 |
I listened to the audio version of this, read by Waters himself. It really is as if you are in a long winded, but wonderful conversation with him. The first half of the book is completely over the top fiction, and is very much like a Chuck Palahniuk novel, but less violent gross, more like sexual weird.

If anyone else had been narrating this, it would not be as amusing, because the writing itself is not super fantastic, but when Waters begins his colorful rants they often get hilarious.

The real joy in this book is the non-fiction where Waters is most candid and honest. It is a marvel to meet the real life characters he runs into that are just as eccentric as his fictitious ones. They are also so willing to help, some recognizing him, some don't. Fans of John Waters will revel in this and it is quite a fun romp. ( )
  noblechicken | Nov 5, 2015 |

John Watersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kagan, AbbyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McLeod, KaganCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my sisters, Kathy and Trish, and in memory of my brother, Steve

A cross-country hitchhiking journey with America’s most beloved weirdo

John Waters is putting his life on the line. Armed with wit, a pencil-thin mustache, and a cardboard sign that reads “I’m Not Psycho,” he hitchhikes across America from Baltimore to San Francisco, braving lonely roads and treacherous drivers. But who should we be more worried about, the delicate film director with genteel manners or the unsuspecting travelers transporting the Pope of Trash?
     Before he leaves for this bizarre adventure, Waters fantasizes about the best and worst possible scenarios: a friendly drug dealer hands over piles of cash to finance films with no questions asked, a demolition-derby driver makes a filthy sexual request in the middle of a race, a gun-toting drunk terrorizes and holds him hostage, and a Kansas vice squad entraps and throws him in jail. So what really happens when this cult legend sticks out his thumb and faces the open road? His real-life rides include a gentle eighty-one-year-old farmer who is convinced Waters is a hobo, an indie band on tour, and the perverse filmmaker’s unexpected hero: a young, sandy-haired Republican in a Corvette.
     Laced with subversive humor and warm intelligence, Carsick is an unforgettable vacation with a wickedly funny companion—and a celebration of America’s weird, astonishing, and generous citizenry.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:25 -0400)

"John Waters is putting his life on the line. Armed with wit, a pencil-thin mustache, and a cardboard sign that reads 'I'm not psycho,' he hitchhikes across America from Baltimore to San Francisco, braving lonely roads and treacherous drivers. But who should we be more worried about: the delicate film director with genteel manners or the unsuspecting travelers transporting the Pope of Trash?"--Dust jacket flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,063,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible